Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DoubleWidesFly
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments)
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(as of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)
Class of Service One-way Round-trip

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SEA, SFO, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)
Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2019, 4:24 pm

I called Alaska, was put through to Boise center, agent wouldnt transfer me to the international desk (which I'd read someone advised to try) and then tells me that they cant make bookings from SIN-HIJ as it doesnt depart from US or Canada and they can only book flights that leave US/Canada. After a while she comes back and says their handbook says they cant do it, the supervisor says they cant do it but she checked with a fake booking (in april) and it worked, but the dates I want are apparently not available, for reasons unknown.

I'd had enough of this shambles cos the cost of having to do international calls all the time wasnt worth the points, so just booked SIN-HND. BA show availability for the HND-HIJ segment on avios, but when trying to book that, it also errored so the issue appears to be with booking JAL domestics - flight is in october, do they block domestic bookings that 'far' ahead or something?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by slidey
I called Alaska, was put through to Boise center, agent wouldnt transfer me to the international desk (which I'd read someone advised to try) and then tells me that they cant make bookings from SIN-HIJ as it doesnt depart from US or Canada and they can only book flights that leave US/Canada. After a while she comes back and says their handbook says they cant do it, the supervisor says they cant do it but she checked with a fake booking (in april) and it worked, but the dates I want are apparently not available, for reasons unknown.

I'd had enough of this shambles cos the cost of having to do international calls all the time wasnt worth the points, so just booked SIN-HND. BA show availability for the HND-HIJ segment on avios, but when trying to book that, it also errored so the issue appears to be with booking JAL domestics - flight is in october, do they block domestic bookings that 'far' ahead or something?
IIRC, JAL domestic flights can only be booked 2 months in advance unless married to an international flight. Once you get inside 2 months you should be able to book the domestic flight separately. ETA: It looks like they changed it. Now flights seem to be bookable beyond 2 months out so I don't know what's going on.

The search engines are messing up. Maybe something to do with the latest JAL system updates to implement a 360 day booking window?
rustykettel and DrAlex like this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:07 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Hey guys

I’m flying F later this summer NRT - ORD with an AS connection at ORD later in the day to SFO

Will I have access to AA Flagship Lounge?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by verbyournoun
Hey guys

I’m flying F later this summer NRT - ORD with an AS connection at ORD later in the day to SFO

Will I have access to AA Flagship Lounge?
Unlikely, but you could always try! AA/OW rules are that the you have to have an onward OW flight, which AS ORD-SFO isn't.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:04 am
Suspended

is it possible to change date of second leg after flying first leg?

reward
SIN-Tokyo(stepover)-HKG

for example
SIN-TOKYO flown 1 april
tokyo-HKG booked for 1 september

can I change tokyo-HKG to later date
Old Apr 24, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: HH, IHG
I was trying to do HNL-NRT-SEA (on JAL) and onto BOS in AS. When I book multi-city it cancels out. The segments are all there on the dates I want. Is this possible to book?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by currid7
I was trying to do HNL-NRT-SEA (on JAL) and onto BOS in AS. When I book multi-city it cancels out. The segments are all there on the dates I want. Is this possible to book?
Where do you intend to stop/stopover? If the goal is a trip to Japan, what advantage is there in booking a multicity itinerary rather than just two one-ways, i.e. 1. HNL - TYO, 2. TYO - BOS?

Last edited by jbalmuth; Apr 24, 2019 at 4:54 pm
Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:11 pm

Possibly cabotage limitation, depending on how the HNL-NRT-SEA segments are structured.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
If it's being done multi-city, nice try getting around cabotage. But AS is a little bit smarter than AV.

It's a BIIIIG FINE to use a non-US airline to transport between two US cities (and if you're trying to structure it as a one-way to get a cheap trip to Tokyo as part of a one-way Hawaii-continental US, that would be one reason why that won't work).

Should be OK to do as two one-ways: HNL-NRT, NRT-SEA-BOS.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cabotage aside, I don't think that they are going to let you book what is essentially a round trip (open jaw or not) as a single one-way award.

You mean I can't do LAX-HKG-SFO as a single one way award on AA? Why not?

Last edited by VegasGambler; Apr 24, 2019 at 8:48 pm
Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:13 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
I have an upcoming trip CGK - NRT - ORD (no stopovers) and want to head back West to SFO, is it possible? I want to fly through ORD because F is available on the day I want in ORD and not SFO...
Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by verbyournoun
I have an upcoming trip CGK - NRT - ORD (no stopovers) and want to head back West to SFO, is it possible? I want to fly through ORD because F is available on the day I want in ORD and not SFO...
The website will, but a live agent may deny it due to backtracking rules. The bigger problem would be finding saver First/Coach ORD-SFO that can be used with a partner award.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: HH, IHG
I have to get back from Hawaii at the end of our trip and I was trying to tack on either a free segment or stopover somewhere else. The most convenient itin would be LIH-SEA-BOS but:
a. We typically do lie flat for > 5 hours, wife has back issues.
b. Pretty steep for what may be a not-so-great first class experience (80k each).
c. I have been reading and want to try to tack on a free segment later (hard to do with AA & BOS being our destination, as AA doesn't fly a lot of places from there).
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I have to get back from Hawaii at the end of our trip and I was trying to tack on either a free segment or stopover somewhere else. The most convenient itin would be LIH-SEA-BOS but:
a. We typically do lie flat for > 5 hours, wife has back issues.
b. Pretty steep for what may be a not-so-great first class experience (80k each).
c. I have been reading and want to try to tack on a free segment later (hard to do with AA & BOS being our destination, as AA doesn't fly a lot of places from there).
"I want a free stopover on my one-way Hawaii-continental USA award, and I want it in Japan" is not how one-way awards work (unless you're Avianca and your award engine was programmed by idiots, and it then gets ruthlessly exploited by FTers who realize your award booking engine was programmed by idiots).

Nice try but AS is a bit smarter than that. That's two awards: HNL-NRT, NRT-SEA-BOS. NRT is a destination, not a stopover for LIH-BOS.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by jbalmuth
Where do you intend to stop/stopover? If the goal is a trip to Japan, what advantage is there in booking a multicity itinerary rather than just two one-ways, i.e. 1. HNL - TYO, 2. TYO - BOS?
if its not on the same PNR, its 2x the change fee is the main downfall, Irops may be another since you are considered to be in your home for delays at the origin.

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Cabotage aside, I don't think that they are going to let you book what is essentially a round trip (open jaw or not) as a single one-way award.
My first thought was they were trying to get it to price as a single one way award, However its not working even when trying to get it to price as two separate one ways under the multi city search.
My original attempt i found JL space as separate one way searches. When i did as multi city with HNL-NRT as departing and NRT - BOS as the return, the only option that came up was KE.

Last edited by CDKing; Apr 25, 2019 at 1:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.