FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1807279-definitive-booking-japan-airlines-jl-using-miles-thread-2019-earlier.html)

stompey5 Feb 24, 2017 11:41 am

Has anyone had their stopover in the states? Looking to go TYO-NYC-ZZZ where I'd add on a segment at a later time. Additionally, if you are redeeming for JL J, does the AS leg need to be in saver Y or F?

beckoa Feb 24, 2017 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by stompey5 (Post 27953166)
Has anyone had their stopover in the states? Looking to go TYO-NYC-ZZZ where I'd add on a segment at a later time. Additionally, if you are redeeming for JL J, does the AS leg need to be in saver Y or F?

AS generally doesn't allow backtracking across the country, so I'm not sure where you were planning on flying to after JFK. Now if you wanted a stopover on the West Coast that should be possible.

And yes, a connecting award would need to be in saver F (A class) or saver Y (W class).

pentiumvi Feb 25, 2017 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 27954174)
And yes, a connecting award would need to be in saver F (A class) or saver Y (W class).

How can one determine whether saver F/Y are available for particular AS flight?

When I try to do an award flight search, I just get a list of flights with different mileage requirements. Do I just assume the lowest points required is the "saver" fare?

Also, if booking an AS award flight which involves a connection to one of their partner airlines, how do I determine which AS fare class I am eligible to use?
(ie. Partner Y award I assume will only be able to book Y award on the AS segment. What about partner J award?)

Thanks

stompey5 Feb 25, 2017 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 27954174)
AS generally doesn't allow backtracking across the country, so I'm not sure where you were planning on flying to after JFK. Now if you wanted a stopover on the West Coast that should be possible.

Thanks. Happen to know if I take my stopover in TYO if AS allows flying into HND and out of NRT?

beckoa Feb 25, 2017 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by stompey5 (Post 27958894)
Thanks. Happen to know if I take my stopover in TYO if AS allows flying into HND and out of NRT?

I think these are coterminals for JL. So should work.

mrtrip Feb 26, 2017 10:39 am

removed.

Kieron Feb 26, 2017 11:56 am

Originally Posted by mrtrip (Post 27960853)
Is it possible to have the route as a single one way award with stop? SGN-TYO(stop)BKK?
I checked online and it cost 50k in C so like two seperate award.

Generally, not unless it's a route that the airline would normally price as a through itinerary on a paid ticket. JAL does not have a single fare for that city pair (which makes sense, since it's not a rational routing for SGN-BKK) and so it would indeed need to be two awards.

On the other hand, something like SGN-TYO, stop, TYO-CTS would be fine on a single one-way award.

mrtrip Feb 28, 2017 10:28 am

Far Siren Mar 1, 2017 6:45 am

I just booked a JFK-TYO-DEL itinerary. I can see both legs fine on Alaska's website, but the first segment (JFK-TYO) is not showing up on the JAL website. Called JAL and was informed Alaska needs to "reissue/reconfirm" the ticket, which they did. It's still not showing up. Anyone has any ideas as to what the issue might be?

eponymous_coward Mar 1, 2017 8:31 am

Originally Posted by pentiumvi (Post 27958160)
How can one determine whether saver F/Y are available for particular AS flight?

Do an award search?

Generally speaking, the award engine will include the Alaska segments with the JAL segments. For example, if there was no F or Y award inventory available out of SEA to any JAL gateway, you would see no JAL availability out of SEA, but might see it out of SFO, YVR, LAX, SAN, etc. If there was only Y but no F you could see the AS segment in Y as a mixed cabin award, and the JAL segment in whatever premium cabin was available.

Note: if AS has F award availability but no Y, a JAL award where the JL segment is in coach would price as J, as a mixed cabin award.

paperwastage Mar 1, 2017 6:51 pm

I guess more alaska(and JAL) IT issues

alaska blocked online access to my reservation due to schedule change (need to call in and confirm, and block was removed)

looking up confirmation code via JAL website, shows that flight is delayed 1+ hours.

neither alaska or JAL emailed me (both have my email for flight alerts).
both airlines still shows the non-delayed departure time when searching for a clean award/paid ticket

CDKing Mar 1, 2017 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by paperwastage (Post 27977989)
I guess more alaska(and JAL) IT issues

alaska blocked online access to my reservation due to schedule change (need to call in and confirm, and block was removed)

looking up confirmation code via JAL website, shows that flight is delayed 1+ hours.

neither alaska or JAL emailed me (both have my email for flight alerts).
both airlines still shows the non-delayed departure time when searching for a clean award/paid ticket

The schedule change lockout thing has been normal for several years even for a 1 minute change on all partners. Some AS can be accepted online

Are you talking about 1+ hour schedule change because delays don't show when you book flights on any carrier. There is always a separate flight status section you need to look at.

paperwastage Mar 1, 2017 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing (Post 27978112)
Are you talking about 1+ hour schedule change because delays don't show when you book flights on any carrier. There is always a separate flight status section you need to look at.

I'm expecting Alaska (and JAL) to contact me (email/phone) when schedules change

they didn't. alaska just blocked my online access (I'm fine with it if they blocked online AND contacted me via email/phone)

(granted, flight is months away... so it's a scheduled delay?)

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ab...e-changes.aspx

Customer service commitment
We will notify you about changes in your travel

We promise to promptly notify you of any schedule changes. You can help us contact you by ensuring your reservation contains:

Home Phone Number
Mobile Number
Email Address
We promise to update you if a schedule change results in a new time more than 10 minutes from original departure or more than 15 minutes from original arrival. Except for cancellation notices, notifications will only arrive between 9:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. (PT)

CDKing Mar 1, 2017 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by paperwastage (Post 27978166)
I'm expecting Alaska (and JAL) to contact me (email/phone) when schedules change

they didn't. alaska just blocked my online access (which is fine if they also informed me via email/phone)

(granted, flight is months away)

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ab...e-changes.aspx

AS does send notification out but closer in as they work them. I always get the email advising of a schedule change once it gets to a few months out. I never call on them when i see them, i always wait for AS to do it and they do. The SOP is the same for all flights ticketed by AS.

paperwastage Mar 1, 2017 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing (Post 27978178)
AS does send notification out but closer in as they work them. I always get the email advising of a schedule change once it gets to a few months out. I never call on them when i see them, i always wait for AS to do it and they do. The SOP is the same for all flights ticketed by AS.

well, I'm checking if award seats open in a day that fits my schedule better

so it makes sense for me to unblock online access, so that I can change immediately when necessary