FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1807279-definitive-booking-japan-airlines-jl-using-miles-thread-2019-earlier.html)

lax.sea.jnu Jan 23, 17 12:48 pm

Just attempted to book 2 F seats at T-331 online, and received a message that the inventory was not available (though is still showing as available on AS.com). Has anyone else had trouble with phantom inventory?

SOWK Jan 23, 17 8:15 pm

Jakarta F Service Discontinued?

Can't see any F space to Jakarta as of March 1. Looks like the route will now be operated by a 787.

Too bad - this was a great use of AS miles to SE Asia. Thankful my flight next week in F is still being operated by the 777.

Reikon Jan 24, 17 6:03 am

Originally Posted by SOWK (Post 27808261)
Can't see any F space to Jakarta as of March 1. Looks like the route will now be operated by a 787.

Too bad - this was a great use of AS miles to SE Asia. Thankful my flight next week in F is still being operated by the 777.

They're removing the 77W on the CGK route and putting it on JFK-HND.

lax.sea.jnu Jan 24, 17 11:19 am

Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu (Post 27806487)
Just attempted to book 2 F seats at T-331 online, and received a message that the inventory was not available (though is still showing as available on AS.com). Has anyone else had trouble with phantom inventory?

Following up on this to see if anyone has any experience with booking JL right at the T-331/330 window. My experience currently trying to book at T-331 or T-330 with space available on the website is that the reservation gets "held" rather than booked. I've called the partner desk multiple times, and they say that the reservation should process when the flight is available, but in the meantime I'm seeing award inventory disappear. They mentioned that the connecting flight (which leaves the following day), could be causing the issue, so currently I'm focused on securing space on the TPAC leg.

My questions are as follows:

1) Has anyone experienced the strange "held reservation" bug when booking at T-330, or even in after that?

2) If so, are flights usually available to book at T-229 23:59 (i.e. the time of the flight), or at the midnight before?

Thanks!

lax.sea.jnu Jan 24, 17 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu (Post 27811041)
Following up on this to see if anyone has any experience with booking JL right at the T-331/330 window. My experience currently trying to book at T-331 or T-330 with space available on the website is that the reservation gets "held" rather than booked. I've called the partner desk multiple times, and they say that the reservation should process when the flight is available, but in the meantime I'm seeing award inventory disappear. They mentioned that the connecting flight (which leaves the following day), could be causing the issue, so currently I'm focused on securing space on the TPAC leg.

My questions are as follows:

1) Has anyone experienced the strange "held reservation" bug when booking at T-330, or even in after that?

2) If so, are flights usually available to book at T-229 23:59 (i.e. the time of the flight), or at the midnight before?

Thanks!

Update: just tried a booking on AS.com at T-329:18, and experienced the same failure. I received notification that the reservation was being held, but not confirmed.

solewalker Jan 24, 17 1:15 pm

Just booked a JL J SIN-HND last week, departing this weekend. Availability appears wide open. 25k + $36.xx. Very happy with that because I'll get to ZZZ on a red-eye.

paperwastage Jan 24, 17 7:50 pm

for NYC-TYO, i see J open mostly on M/Tu/Wed, maybe Sunday... across different months

sigh

lax.sea.jnu Jan 24, 17 8:02 pm

Has anyone been able to make a JAL reservation immediately through the website? I was recently told by the partner desk that reservations take a few days to get confirmed.

solewalker Jan 24, 17 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu (Post 27813361)
Has anyone been able to make a JAL reservation immediately through the website? I was recently told by the partner desk that reservations take a few days to get confirmed.

My first try failed, but my second try a few mins later ticketed almost immediately

lax.sea.jnu Jan 24, 17 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by solewalker (Post 27813375)
My first try failed, but my second try a few mins later ticketed almost immediately

No success for T=229-331. Just tried T=190, and got a similar result, except this time, no "held reservation" e-mail. Looks like the system may be a bit screwy, right when I'm trying to book a reservation.

jbutters Jan 25, 17 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by tth6133 (Post 27800882)
These are the easiest J seats to get since they are not the most desirable type.

I know they aren't lie-flat but it's 9 hours so I can live with an angle, some decent food and good service for $200 for 3 people.

Mr_Tudball Jan 26, 17 9:45 am

Yes, my booking ticketed immediately.

lax.sea.jnu Jan 26, 17 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Reikon (Post 27809602)
They're removing the 77W on the CGK route and putting it on JFK-HND.

Interesting, the AS website says the flight is still operated by a 77W, but JL.com is saying 789.

mycenaeanapollo Jan 26, 17 5:43 pm

Booked LAX-NRT in F T-15 and got confirmation immediately. Was able to view my reservation at JAL right away and was able to call JAL minutes after to make my seat selection.

oDiabo Jan 27, 17 6:32 pm

Awaiting Confirmation

For the folks who had to wait for their reservation to be ticketed, was it always successful? I tried to book LAX-NRT (2 seats in J) for 12/23 today and got the reservation held message. When I called in I was told to call back every day for the next three days and that the award may not actually be available.