FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1807279-definitive-booking-japan-airlines-jl-using-miles-thread-2019-earlier.html)

ahcjar103 Jan 28, 17 7:34 pm

just booked 2 F sfo-hnd for about 110 days from now, ticketed in about 15 mins.

CDKing Jan 28, 17 8:41 pm

I just did a interasia award for April in J and initially click, it sat forever and then gave the no space found error and clicked again and it sat for another minute and got confirmation number and AS ticket number, went to JL site and selected my seats

lax.sea.jnu Jan 29, 17 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by oDiabo (Post 27827822)
For the folks who had to wait for their reservation to be ticketed, was it always successful? I tried to book LAX-NRT (2 seats in J) for 12/23 today and got the reservation held message. When I called in I was told to call back every day for the next three days and that the award may not actually be available.

Yes, mine thankfully went through. Did yours? Unfortunately, you may be at the mercy of others that can book instantly.

SF1K Jan 30, 17 6:15 pm

JL-AS System down?

So I've been consistently checking flights waiting for dates to open up and there was always tons available. Each day of the week for almost the entire month, this morning I looked and still available, but I'm looking to book 12/28. Now I look and all availability for all the days that was available this morning is gone. The calendar shows available in Coach, but then when you click not he actual day it errors out.

So hoping this is some sort of AS-JL system issue and not a complete dry-up of JL award space using AS miles. :(

lax.sea.jnu Jan 30, 17 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by SF1K (Post 27841808)
So I've been consistently checking flights waiting for dates to open up and there was always tons available. Each day of the week for almost the entire month, this morning I looked and still available, but I'm looking to book 12/28. Now I look and all availability for all the days that was available this morning is gone. The calendar shows available in Coach, but then when you click not he actual day it errors out.

So hoping this is some sort of AS-JL system issue and not a complete dry-up of JL award space using AS miles. :(

That is strange, hopefully a temporary glitch. Note: the AS site will show you one day past what you're actually able to book (you won't be able to book 12/18 until Wednesday).

lax.sea.jnu Jan 31, 17 11:21 am

Originally Posted by SF1K (Post 27841808)

I looked into this more closely, it looks as though they've taken availability back from T-330 to T-325. My guess is that this change could be related to the issue with reservations going into "held" status if booked at the end of the booking window.

SF1K Jan 31, 17 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu (Post 27845101)
I looked into this more closely, it looks as though they've taken availability back from T-330 to T-225. My guess is that this change could be related to the issue with reservations going into "held" status if booked at the end of the booking window.

Did you really mean T-225 or T-325?? What makes you think this?

lax.sea.jnu Jan 31, 17 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by SF1K (Post 27846137)
Did you really mean T-225 or T-325?? What makes you think this?

Sorry, it was a typo. I edited my above post. I can see availability starting at T-325. It was T-331 a few days ago, but you could only book starting at T-330.

SF1K Jan 31, 17 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu (Post 27846648)
Sorry, it was a typo. I edited my above post. I can see availability starting at T-325. It was T-331 a few days ago, but you could only book starting at T-330.

Thanks. Looks like they are getting a bit stingier with award space on the route I was looking at too. At 325 it's only showing premium economy. Before it was wide open on different routings in Business. I have some date flexibility so hopefully will get something.

benjahman Feb 1, 17 11:11 am

I was able to secure 2 F Class Awards (seats 2A/D) and 1 J class award (seat 5D) for JL 3 for 12/21/17 for my wife, myself and my mom (sorry mom! - business class for now) via Alaska Air miles.

Hoping that an F opens up per previous posts.

benjahman Feb 2, 17 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by oDiabo (Post 27827822)
For the folks who had to wait for their reservation to be ticketed, was it always successful? I tried to book LAX-NRT (2 seats in J) for 12/23 today and got the reservation held message. When I called in I was told to call back every day for the next three days and that the award may not actually be available.

I had the same issue. I booked 2 F/1J seat JFK-NRT-MNL for 12/21. The site hung and hung and then finally errored out. I then received an email from Alaska Air that the reservation was being held for 3 days. I called immediately and they told me that they had to get confirmation that JAL would ticket the reservation and that I would receive an email. 2 days went by and no email. I called again and they said they have received the confirmation, took payment and informed me of mileage being debited from account. Received confirmation email with JAL booking reference included.

oDiabo Feb 2, 17 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu (Post 27835960)
Yes, mine thankfully went through. Did yours? Unfortunately, you may be at the mercy of others that can book instantly.

It did, thanks :D

skimthetrees Feb 10, 17 5:54 pm

I've been doing some speculative searching and today I noticed a problem with the Premium Economy inventory display for JL. Earlier today PE inventory was reported in the Business column with a mixed class itin icon even on a non-stop flight. Currently I am not seeing PE inventory reported at all (using BA site to check).

For example, currently on 2/19 TYO-SFO BA is showing 4 PE seats available but when I do a search for 2 seats on the AS site no PE seats are showing. Has anyone else noticed this?

paperwastage Feb 11, 17 8:09 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees (Post 27893385)
I've been doing some speculative searching and today I noticed a problem with the Premium Economy inventory display for JL. Earlier today PE inventory was reported in the Business column with a mixed class itin icon even on a non-stop flight. Currently I am not seeing PE inventory reported at all (using BA site to check).

For example, currently on 2/19 TYO-SFO BA is showing 4 PE seats available but when I do a search for 2 seats on the AS site no PE seats are showing. Has anyone else noticed this?

same here

looks like a glitch... or alaska deval :confused:

i'm going to wait and see

Finkface Feb 11, 17 9:49 am

Originally Posted by benjahman (Post 27857778)
I had the same issue. I booked 2 F/1J seat JFK-NRT-MNL for 12/21. The site hung and hung and then finally errored out. I then received an email from Alaska Air that the reservation was being held for 3 days. I called immediately and they told me that they had to get confirmation that JAL would ticket the reservation and that I would receive an email. 2 days went by and no email. I called again and they said they have received the confirmation, took payment and informed me of mileage being debited from account. Received confirmation email with JAL booking reference included.

A similar experience here. I booked an F seat the other day. Twice after payment, it hung and hung and finally errored out, saying partner space could not be confirmed. I was just about to call, as BA was showing the seat available, when I tried it one more time. Third time lucky, I guess, as it went through and ticketed immediately.