FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1807279-definitive-booking-japan-airlines-jl-using-miles-thread-2019-earlier.html)

eponymous_coward Mar 1, 17 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by paperwastage (Post 27978193)
well, I'm checking if award seats open in a day that fits my schedule better

so it makes sense for me to unblock online access, so that I can change immediately when necessary

90+% of everyone doesn't book airline tickets more than 3 months in advance, so I wouldn't expect an airline to optimize for the "I'm the obsessive FT nerd who has an EF subscription and is going to adjust my 11 months out award 14 times between now and when I fly" case.

Brianblanco Mar 1, 17 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by mrtrip (Post 27970074)
I double checked and it is possible.

Originally Posted by mrtrip (Post 27960853)
Is it possible to have the route as a single one way award with stop? SGN-TYO(stop)BKK?
I checked online and it cost 50k in C so like two seperate award.

Thanks in advance.

CDKing Mar 2, 17 7:41 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 27978389)
90+% of everyone doesn't book airline tickets more than 3 months in advance, so I wouldn't expect an airline to optimize for the "I'm the obsessive FT nerd who has an EF subscription and is going to adjust my 11 months out award 14 times between now and when I fly" case.

The things we do to avoid losing the $12.50 each way partner award booking fee :) Reminds me i need to cancel a few reservations.

pop311 Mar 2, 17 11:07 pm

I don't think that this showed up in the thread in the specific instance. When booking a one-way nonstop JAL award from Asia to Asia (Tokyo to Singapore), there is availability in premium Y (seen on BA, JAL, and AS), and while the JAL award chart on the AS website says that Asia to Asia in premium Y is 17.5k, the award on the AS search is listed as Partner Business, but then says it's a mixed cabin award with the segment in premium Y. Given that this is a one way, why is it saying it's a mixed cabin and pricing premium Y as business? Do you think I can call AS and book the award for the 17.5k price?

paperwastage Mar 3, 17 5:44 am

Originally Posted by pop311 (Post 27983895)
I don't think that this showed up in the thread in the specific instance. When booking a one-way nonstop JAL award from Asia to Asia (Tokyo to Singapore), there is availability in premium Y (seen on BA, JAL, and AS), and while the JAL award chart on the AS website says that Asia to Asia in premium Y is 17.5k, the award on the AS search is listed as Partner Business, but then says it's a mixed cabin award with the segment in premium Y. Given that this is a one way, why is it saying it's a mixed cabin and pricing premium Y as business? Do you think I can call AS and book the award for the 17.5k price?

this has been discussed on page 5

Something changed in February. Alaska stopped showing premium y as a separate category and lumped it into business(and charging business points)

You could try calling in and arguing for the correct award chart for premium y, ymmv.

CDKing Mar 3, 17 8:24 am

Originally Posted by paperwastage (Post 27984714)
this has been discussed on page 5

Something changed in February. Alaska stopped showing premium y as a separate category and lumped it into business(and charging business points)

You could try calling in and arguing for the correct award chart for premium y, ymmv.

Hopefully they will fix this programming error. Premium shows up just fine with other partners who have had the option for years like Qantas. It's new to online awards of the Asia region (I don't count CX since its not bookable online, its booked from a different system)

paperwastage Mar 9, 17 4:39 pm

1 Attachment(s)
cheap...

CDKing Mar 9, 17 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by paperwastage (Post 28016023)
cheap...

You win ;)

paperwastage Mar 10, 17 6:57 pm

1 Attachment(s)
one more thing:

Alaska's award chart for JAL no longer shows PE

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rd-charts.aspx

before:
https://i2.wp.com/thepointsguy.com/w...n-Airlines.jpg

after:

rustykettel Mar 10, 17 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by paperwastage (Post 28020807)
one more thing:

Alaska's award chart for JAL no longer shows PE

:(

aserican Mar 14, 17 1:20 am

Here's another oddity I've found:

Search for ORD-NRT: available in F
Search for (next day) NRT-SIN: available in J

Search for ORD-SIN: only available option is ORD-NRT in F with connection to SIN... in coach! On the flight that said it had J wide open!

I might try calling this one in at some point.

YoungSoloTraveler Mar 14, 17 10:17 am

Weird. Anyone who booked a PE award that got charged biz prices get an adjustment? No surprise PE was removed, way too cheap.

eponymous_coward Mar 14, 17 10:36 am

Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler (Post 28035757)
Weird. Anyone who booked a PE award that got charged biz prices get an adjustment? No surprise PE was removed, way too cheap.

How so? PE on CX is a very mild surcharge on Y (5k miles). PE isn't a huge surcharge on BA either (10k). Y on JL is 35k, J is 60k.

ryandc99 Mar 14, 17 11:34 am

Perhaps someone should pose a question on the Missy thread on this PE topic.

brizone Mar 14, 17 11:56 am

Just did out here, and sent her a heads-up about it.