FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1807279-definitive-booking-japan-airlines-jl-using-miles-thread-2019-earlier.html)

jasongc87 Feb 16, 2017 6:22 am

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 27915767)
Is the other flight on AS in F?

Nope, just a single flight on JAL pricing at business but placing you in Premium economy.

Called the AS partner desk yesterday and the rep hadn't seen it before and believed it was user error until she tried it herself and got the same odd mileage pricing. She took a screenshot and sent it off to IT, hopefully they'll resolve it soon, though she said it would take a "couple of days."

CDKing Feb 16, 2017 7:42 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by jasongc87 (Post 27916878)
Nope, just a single flight on JAL pricing at business but placing you in Premium economy.

Example

beckoa Feb 16, 2017 12:07 pm

That's just strange.

paperwastage Feb 20, 2017 7:02 pm

btw, looks like this link shows the seats available for sale in each class (not award)

not sure how accurate the info, and it shows enough granular detail:
1-9, O(available), M (few), X/- (none)

probably useful enough to guess possibility of F opening up close-in (8 F on 777-300ER)

someone want to compare it with EF (unless EF is scraping the same data?)

https://www.5931.jal.co.jp/rsvInter/...leInfoInput.do

skimthetrees Feb 21, 2017 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by jasongc87 (Post 27916878)

Called the AS partner desk yesterday and the rep hadn't seen it before and believed it was user error until she tried it herself and got the same odd mileage pricing. She took a screenshot and sent it off to IT, hopefully they'll resolve it soon, though she said it would take a "couple of days."

I have found this means that there is not enough biz space to satisfy your search but there is premium economy space. I assume you could book it if you wanted premium economy and call in to get AS to price it properly. You are out of luck if you want biz because there is not enough biz inventory to satisfy your request.

On the other hand if you want premium economy but there is enough biz space to satisfy your search request, PE will not show, only biz will show. PE never shows under PE for JAL in searches now. I sent in an email feedback last week and got a response that they would look into it and I could call the partner desk to ticket if the website was acting up.

Jma12 Feb 22, 2017 1:55 am

I tried to book a flight from HKG-OKA via HND and received an error message when I tried to pay. Called partner desk and was told that they would contact JL. They were able to hold the seat for me for 24hrs. I ended up not using my AS miles and redeemed the flight with another program.

Mauibaby2008 Feb 22, 2017 12:35 pm

Sorry if this has been asked but could I do NYC - TYO - DEL (I think that is the city they fly to) on one award ticket?

i can't seem to get it to price out online.

paperwastage Feb 22, 2017 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008 (Post 27944022)
Sorry if this has been asked but could I do NYC - TYO - DEL (I think that is the city they fly to) on one award ticket?

nyc-tyo 11/8
Tyo-del 11/5

Prices out in economy (35k+$63) or mixed first (first to tyo, premium economy tyo-del) (70k+$63)

Its​​​​​ definitely available. If you can't see it, it means JAL/alaska doesn't have availability for those days

CDKing Feb 22, 2017 12:49 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008 (Post 27944022)

DEL falls under Asia for JL award. When space is available. Here is BOS-NRT-DEL

sneamia Feb 22, 2017 7:51 pm

slack13 Feb 23, 2017 7:06 pm

I've also run into the premium economy bug - trying to book SEA to TYO it only shows business class, but clicking on details shows JL segments as premium economy. Even selecting just the direct segment from LAX or SFO gives the same mixed cabin error.

Beyond the mis-pricing, every attempt to book one of these flights throws out the "partner airline could not confirm seats" error.

I'm wondering if AS has coded their systems incorrectly so that they lump JL premium economy into business, but then when try to book the system asks for a business class seat and JL can't confirm b/c there isn't a business seat.

Also, calling reps the last few days has been frustrating - gotten several different answers on what the award cost "should" be for JL premium economy, and no help diagnosing the issue beyond "if you don't want to pay 60K, don't book it."

paperwastage Feb 23, 2017 9:12 pm

a few days ago, I was able to book and ticket 1 J ticket (proper business on both legs) with free stopover jfk-TYO-SIN

JAL was able to see my reservation, could pick seats

on alaska, it looks like I can change just one side (jfk-TYO) of my reservation if needed, dont have to search and modify the full jfk-TYO-SIN

TheSYDTraveller Feb 24, 2017 9:19 am

Is our ability to book also limited by t-4 days rule that JL has?

Anyone know how it works with last minute releases? I see 3 seats left in J from BKK-HND for the 26th. But there still isn't any award availability.

paperwastage Feb 24, 2017 11:10 am

Originally Posted by richh1833 (Post 27952572)
Is our ability to book also limited by t-4 days rule that JL has?

seems to be correct, from me searching close-in awards from the past month

It's a popular time to go to Japan right now, hard to get award availability (for that date, bkk-hnd is sold out, bkk-nrt has 3 C and 3 Y, basically sold out)

TheSYDTraveller Feb 24, 2017 11:37 am

Originally Posted by paperwastage (Post 27953031)
seems to be correct, from me searching close-in awards from the past month

It's a popular time to go to Japan right now, hard to get award availability (for that date, bkk-hnd is sold out, bkk-nrt has 3 C and 3 Y, basically sold out)

I shouldn't be complaining since I got a F award on 77W from BKK-HND. But I would have preferred a day flight. Good to know now though! Thanks.