FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1807279-definitive-booking-japan-airlines-jl-using-miles-thread-2019-earlier.html)

rustykettel Dec 21, 19 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by tobikosan (Post 31865329)
If you have one business and one first booking can the 1st class bring the biz class into the JAL lounges?

Yes, First Class passengers can invite one guest into the First lounge with them.

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/servi...ber/class.html

Asquared1 Dec 23, 19 7:56 am

Watching some dates for PDX - Tokyo awards. It looks like Saturday night Alaska did a mass schedule /flight # change that wiped out all the AS connecting flights to gateway cities for JAL awards from July on. AS says that JAL needs to make the new routings with AS connections available and they can't book them even if the AS flights are available to be booked separately. Anyone know how long it usually takes for JAL to catch up and make those routes available again?

TravelingZoomer Dec 23, 19 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Asquared1 (Post 31868985)
Watching some dates for PDX - Tokyo awards. It looks like Saturday night Alaska did a mass schedule /flight # change that wiped out all the AS connecting flights to gateway cities for JAL awards from July on. AS says that JAL needs to make the new routings with AS connections available and they can't book them even if the AS flights are available to be booked separately. Anyone know how long it usually takes for JAL to catch up and make those routes available again?

Itís in JALís best interest to do it ASAP for customers wanting to pay cash rates on those routes, but Iíd reserve the long haul flight when available and worry about the connecting flights later

Asquared1 Dec 23, 19 10:00 am

Originally Posted by verbyournoun (Post 31869005)
Itís in JALís best interest to do it ASAP for customers wanting to pay cash rates on those routes, but Iíd reserve the long haul flight when available and worry about the connecting flights later

The AS connections are available to revenue customers on JAL web site.

eponymous_coward Dec 23, 19 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Asquared1 (Post 31868985)

Your AS CS rep is unsurprisingly clueless and wrong. The AS schedule update wiped out saver availability and low fare buckets (which are related); partner awards must pair with AS saver availability to the JL gateway. You’re going to have to wait for AS to add availability in those buckets. JL has nothing to do with that.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...er-5-21-a.html

Asquared1 Dec 23, 19 12:28 pm

Above post beat me to the new info I was posting here

Asquared1 Dec 24, 19 10:01 am

Looks like it's fixed.

AzureCao Dec 25, 19 10:19 pm

Before I could see tons of F/J awards TYO-SFO/LAX within two weeks of departure, if there are unsold seats. Recently I almost couldn't find any F/J for the first two weeks of 2020...EF shows quite a few seats...A bit weird...

Asquared1 Dec 25, 19 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by AzureCao (Post 31876601)
Before I could see tons of F/J awards TYO-SFO/LAX within two weeks of departure, if there are unsold seats. Recently I almost couldn't find any F/J for the first two weeks of 2020...EF shows quite a few seats...A bit weird...

I've been looking at a lot of fall dates and noticed the same thing

gisanim Dec 28, 19 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Asquared1 (Post 31876675)
I've been looking at a lot of fall dates and noticed the same thing

I've been looking for F between TYO and JFK all the way to Nov 2020 but only found 1 or 2 days with availability. Is this normal?

minz56 Dec 28, 19 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by gisanim (Post 31885035)
I've been looking for F between TYO and JFK all the way to Nov 2020 but only found 1 or 2 days with availability. Is this normal?

Yes, I would say this is normal. The small number of F award seats that JL releases are snapped up very quickly. Your best bet is towards the end of schedule for AS (330 days) or close in (there is availability on a few days during the first couple weeks of January).

VegasGambler Dec 30, 19 1:44 am

I'm generally allergic to flying economy on long haul flights, but has anyone tried the new JL economy product with 19 inch wide seats (8 across 2-4-2) and 34 inch pitch? I think they have them on the 767s, which they use for SEA-NRT if I'm not mistaken.

This sounds like it has the dimensions (though not the recline or comfort) of a PE product. It might even cure my allergy 😁 Using miles for an economy redemption seems blasphemous, but... maybe?

Sandeep1 Dec 30, 19 2:02 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 31888319)
I'm generally allergic to flying economy on long haul flights, but has anyone tried the new JL economy product with 19 inch wide seats (8 across 2-4-2) and 34 inch pitch? I think they have them on the 767s, which they use for SEA-NRT if I'm not mistaken.

This sounds like it has the dimensions (though not the recline or comfort) of a PE product. It might even cure my allergy 😁 Using miles for an economy redemption seems blasphemous, but... maybe?

Still blasphemous. The miles game will continue to deteriorate before our eyes over the coming years so enjoy J/F while you can.

CPH-Flyer Dec 30, 19 3:15 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 31888319)

The Sky Wider and Sky Wider II seats in JL Y are without a doubt the most spacious and comfortable Y seats around. They are installed on the long haul configured 767, 787-8, all 787-9, the refurbished 777-200ER, and the 77W.

dayone Dec 30, 19 12:59 pm

Please continue the discussion in the current thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...l#post31890035