FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1807279-definitive-booking-japan-airlines-jl-using-miles-thread-2019-earlier.html)

cce5858 Mar 27, 2017 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by miuk (Post 28063884)
Same problem i'm seeing as well for KUL-NRT-LAX.

Routing on J is available for both legs. However for F, only NRT-LAX is F but KUL-NRT is coming out as Y.

Does anyone know a fix to this problem as well?

Doing JFK-NRT-KHH for 75,000 miles on JAL, Manual search there is availability for JFK-NRT in First, and then NRT to KHH in Business is wide open, but when I try to book it, it becomes First and Coach. Gross. Does anyone know if calling in gets around this insanely frustrating issue?

CDKing Mar 27, 2017 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by cce5858 (Post 28093905)
Does anyone know a fix to this problem as well?

Doing JFK-NRT-KHH for 75,000 miles on JAL, Manual search there is availability for JFK-NRT in First, and then NRT to KHH in Business is wide open, but when I try to book it, it becomes First and Coach. Gross. Does anyone know if calling in gets around this insanely frustrating issue?

Nope. Soon AS will probably discontinue bookings all together. I mean they took away premium economy because they couldntg get that to work. Next up mixed cabin awards then all awards all together.

I just found a date where F is available JFK-NRT and NRT-HKG in J. Try to book together the F leg only shows Y available. If i move the continuing leg a few days later when only Y is not available the F leg to NRT comes up.

paperwastage Mar 27, 2017 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing (Post 28094201)
Nope. Soon AS will probably discontinue bookings all together. I mean they took away premium economy because they couldntg get that to work. Next up mixed cabin awards then all awards all together.

i hope they do phone/manual booking (like cx), instead of removing it entirely

eponymous_coward Mar 28, 2017 10:35 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Go home, alaskaair.com, you're drunk. "This itinerary is not entirely in First Class." Actually, how about "This itinerary is entirely not in First Class, even though we're charging 75k miles for it."

In fact, BKK-KIK and NRT-YVR don't even have F cabins... but I guess you might get upgraded on the YVR-SEA segment...

:rolleyes:

kaiotes Mar 29, 2017 7:23 pm

2 Attachment(s)
I need help booking this award on JL w AS miles
I"m not able to get it to price properly, maybe it is not possible.

I'm trying to go from PVG-KIX-SFO.
with a stopover in KIX.

PVG-KIX(stopover) -HND-SFO would be the natural routing but the site seems to want me to route through LAX meaning there might not be direct flights into SFO from LX due to availability issues.

So what I did was I used multi city search i plugged in:
pvg-kix
kix-hnd
hnd-sfo. It would not display availability.

pvg-kix
kix-sfo.
It'd route me via LAX

The dates that i used all had availability via BA's site.

I am trying to avoid pricing a PVG-HND(stopover)-SFO As i'd have to pay for my own ticket whether it be a bus or via avios from the two airports+ the inconvenience of time and added cost.

See the attached screenshots.

Thanks

rustykettel Mar 29, 2017 9:11 pm

I think the first multi city won't return any results because it won't allow two layovers in Japan. I'm not sure if it will allow a non-TYO layover either.

ETA: I could have sworn there was a statement somewhere about TYO only layovers, but it does indeed allow KIX as a layover, however the onward flight appears to be limited to the international KIX-LAX nonstop and won't allow a connection through HND.

CDKing Mar 29, 2017 9:32 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by kaiotes (Post 28104575)

So what I did was I used multi city search i plugged in:
pvg-kix
kix-hnd
hnd-sfo. It would not display availability.

Correct this would not work as a search criteria. If you look closely, you are trying to put one way criteria in as a RT search. HND-SFO cannot be the return flight on PVG-KIX-HND.

tonywush Mar 30, 2017 10:16 pm

wondering do they allow backtracking like this?

(West coast)-JFK-NRT

Basically want to maximize the time on JAL and maybe a stopover @ New York

CDKing Mar 30, 2017 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by tonywush (Post 28109522)

(West coast)-JFK-NRT

Knowing how AS handles Cathay, This is not an option on JAL either. If for some reason it does work congrats and keep it a secret.

paperwastage Mar 30, 2017 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by tonywush (Post 28109522)

(West coast)-JFK-NRT

Probably not

They do allow backtracking to some degree

(Sea-ord-nrt)

their rule is one partner+alaska. So you have to find some routing for westcoast-jfk(alaska), then jfk-nrt(JAL)

And not thru another JAL destination(Chicago, lax/sfo etc)

beckoa Mar 30, 2017 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing (Post 28109537)
Knowing how AS handles Cathay, This is not an option on JAL either. If for some reason it does work congrats and keep it a secret.

Agreed.

Some things are best not hashed out in detail...

miuk Apr 5, 2017 12:48 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by aserican (Post 28082791)
I saw this on another day for a flight I wanted and decided to call it in. Response was (~verbatim) "I can't explain how it decides what to show for availability or why it's available on its own but not together, but what you see on the website is all we can give you".

Has *anyone* managed to book a mixed cabin F to J connection with JAL?

I think the computer bug got fixed, was able to finally get it to show correctly. I've been playing around the past few days and today it was finally able to get J connecting to F. I didn't try ticketing it yet so YMMV.

aserican Apr 5, 2017 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by miuk (Post 28133919)
I think the computer bug got fixed, was able to finally get it to show correctly. I've been playing around the past few days and today it was finally able to get J connecting to F. I didn't try ticketing it yet so YMMV.

YESSSSS!!!!!!! Just updated a couple reservations. Thanks for posting!

CDKing Apr 5, 2017 7:08 pm

Perfect thanks. Just updated my reservation. I had initially put in a random date to the downline segment to secure the F seat,

miuk Apr 9, 2017 4:05 pm

Still trying to look for availability in March of 2018. Shouldn't JL be releasing it already? So far no dates have been released for the entire month of March but Feb is wide open for J redemption.

Edit @ 930pm. BA now showing availability on their search portal, looks like it might take a while for Alaska IT backend to sync up and show it. I wonder if calling them will work?

Edit #2 @ 11am. JL awards now showing up for the month of March 2018. Was able to book the award i wanted. Thanks to all that responded.

Edit #3 : Realized my booking was being held as a reservation. Called in to Alaska to try and confirm it. Agent had to escalate to a supervisor and it seems that they're having issues communicating to the JL ticketing system. They were able to change it to be ticketed but was unsure what the JL booking reference code was. Advised me to call back 24hrs later to confirm if the ticket was actually ticketed with the JL system.

Edit #4 : Information on Alaska site now shows the JL PNR (took 24hrs). Was able to go on and select my seats.