Search
Old Apr 11, 2016, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ashill
New Thread with 738 Fleet Tracking

739 thread with fleet tracking

Original Press Release

Originally Posted by alaskaair.com/newsroom
Seats in the Premium Class section will have at least 35" of pitch, compared to 31" to 32" in the rest of the main cabin. To make room for the Premium Class while maintaining pitch in the main cabin, Alaska will reconfigure and reduce the number of seats available on some aircraft. Also, pitch in the First Class cabin will be increased from 36" to 41" providing a significantly enhanced experience for those customers.

Code:
 Model     Fleet count       Current seats           Reconfigured cabin
 (First class/Main cabin)(First class/Premium class/Main)

737-800       61               16/147                    12/30/117

737-900/900ER 77               16/165                    16/24/138

E175          15               12/64                     12/12/52
737-800s: Rows 6-10 are Premium
737-900/900ERs: Rows 6-9 are Premium

All 737-800s have been converted. 737-900s now in work. All aircraft to be complete by end of 2017.

Snack Box info from AKCuisine and Post 514:

3" x 3" x 2" box weighing in at 2.17 ounces. It's also "locally sourced - which translates to "Distributed by Oakfield Farms Solutions LLC, Grapevine, Texas."

Inside the box is 1.16 oz of Craisins (110 cal); 0.63 oz of unsalted almonds (100 cal); and a 0.375 oz square of Ghirardelli chocolate (50 cals) - total, 260 calories.
Print Wikipost

Premium Class Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2019, 9:34 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
It's T-48 and I'm waitlisted for PC, there are currently no seats available. If one opens up, is it immediately assigned to someone on the waitlist? I assume yes but I'm not sure. Put another way, is it worth frequently checking the app to try and grab one or will it get assigned the minute it opens up?

Sorry if this is a duplicate question, I couldn't find it in the wiki.
NO. Definitely monitor once the upgrade window opens and move yourself up if the opportunity arises.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 10:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by herokitty
Is this glitch common? First time flying as MVP and at T-48, I checked on the app and there were plenty of seats available in PC but I could only select with an upcharge. When I signed in online to select a seat, the website was showing 0 availability in PC. I called in, at first the agent didn't know the rules for MVPs and had to slowly read up about the 48 hour upgrade policy, and then was able to manually move my seats to PC for free.
It should absolutely be free at T-48 for an MVP. The new development is that the “glitch” that allowed an MVP to select a PC seat at 12:00am, two days before the flight, has been removed.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 12:09 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Just when I thought I didn't need any further illustrations of how awful the AS IT is...

Good call! T-110min when the last few were cleared into F, I grabbed a PC seat in row 6, jumping ahead of 6 people on the waitlist.
Good for you, but it's clear their IT is like a never-ending disaster.
Eurynom0s likes this.

Last edited by metallo; Sep 28, 2019 at 12:15 am
Old Sep 28, 2019, 1:51 am

Ok, really rudimentary question here. Are the Premium class (seats with the blue star) actually wider/more legroom/pitch or just a regular coach seat with a premium drink thrown in?
Old Sep 28, 2019, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by Visconti
Ok, really rudimentary question here. Are the Premium class (seats with the blue star) actually wider/more legroom/pitch or just a regular coach seat with a premium drink thrown in?
4” more legroom, earlier boarding, premium drink(s). No extra width.

Edit: almost forgot the “premium snack”! (Kind bar or fruit and nut mix)
Visconti likes this.

Last edited by RAD_PDX; Sep 28, 2019 at 3:12 am
Old Oct 20, 2019, 3:14 am

Overhead bin completely full

Recently flew on a full flight. A month before the flight, seatmap showed it was already looking like it was gonna be a packed flight. Wanting to make sure I'd have overhead bin available, I decided to do a paid upgrade to E+.

Since it was a full flight, I got to the gate 45min early and there was already a large gathering of gate lices. So I joined them. As soon as group 2 was called, a bunch of folks charged in. I tried but was still probably like the 10th person to get in after group 2 was called.

I was seated in row 7 of E+. To my surprise, when I got there, almost everyone in E+ was already seated and there was not a single space in the overhead bin all the way down to row 11 or 12 or something. Plenty of bin spaces available in F, but the FA wouldn't let me use it. So had to stow my rollerboard about 3-4 rows down, which obviously sucks after landing. Fortunately an FA came and upgraded a dude on row 6 to F, so I was able to relocate my bag to his bin space.

This really sucks that it's so difficult to snag an overhead bin space in E+ on Alaska. I usually board group 2 on UA, and I've never had this type of issue with them whether I'm seated in E+ or regular coach.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by evergrn
This really sucks that it's so difficult to snag an overhead bin space in E+ on Alaska. I usually board group 2 on UA, and I've never had this type of issue with them whether I'm seated in E+ or regular coach.
I've been flying AS for a couple years now (35-40K miles/year) mostly PC class and maybe half F upgrades (lots of upgrades last year, a lot fewer this year) and haven't run into that yet in PC class. Maybe there were a lot of MVPGs who were seated further back, too, and boarded in group A and took space? My experience this year on transcons is that they board F, then they call group A and there's nobody (either they all got upgraded, or the MVPG and 75Ks don't fly transcon), then group B is larger but I've never had trouble getting space in the overheads. For flights from LAX/BUR to the PNW there are more people in A, especially later in the year, but overhead space still hasn't been a problem.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by chrisl137
I've been flying AS for a couple years now (35-40K miles/year) mostly PC class and maybe half F upgrades (lots of upgrades last year, a lot fewer this year) and haven't run into that yet in PC class. Maybe there were a lot of MVPGs who were seated further back, too, and boarded in group A and took space? My experience this year on transcons is that they board F, then they call group A and there's nobody (either they all got upgraded, or the MVPG and 75Ks don't fly transcon), then group B is larger but I've never had trouble getting space in the overheads. For flights from LAX/BUR to the PNW there are more people in A, especially later in the year, but overhead space still hasn't been a problem.
Alright, well then I guess I will consider the PC upgrade again in the future.
I went back and looked at the boarding zones for AS vs UA. I guess with UA, the lowly Silver status (group 2) still lets me board ahead of non-status E+ pax (group 3). With AS, the lack of status compromises my chances at having bin space in PC. If I care more about bin space than leg room (which is the case), then I might be better off putting myself in the back half of main cabin with AS. But anyways I will try PC again and see what happens.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 7:24 am

Well today My plane from BWI-SEA was switched from airbus to airbus and magically my seats went from paid PC to economy because of the aircraft swap. 5 years ago alaska was a great airline to fly as a gold or gold75k it was pretty easy to get upgrades.... now I am lucky to get an upgrade even in redeye and forced downgrade to econmy seems to be somewhat normal. I think I will give up my status on alaska and start flying cheaper competition with paid seats ...
Old Nov 23, 2019, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by eagle17
Well today My plane from BWI-SEA was switched from airbus to airbus and magically my seats went from paid PC to economy because of the aircraft swap.
You paid for PC as a 75K?

5 years ago Alaska was a great airline to fly as a gold or gold75k it was pretty easy to get upgrades.... now I am lucky to get an upgrade even in redeye and forced downgrade to econmy seems to be somewhat normal.
AS didn't have a mixed Boeing/Airbus fleet 5 years ago. They are in the process of retrofitting these planes. This won't be an issue soon.

I think I will give up my status on alaska and start flying cheaper competition with paid seats
I can assure you that a 75K on AS gets more upgrades than a top tier status holder on AA, DL or UA.
Boraxo and NoLaGent like this.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Well today My plane from BWI-SEA was switched from airbus to airbus and magically my seats went from paid PC to economy because of the aircraft swap. 5 years ago alaska was a great airline to fly as a gold or gold75k it was pretty easy to get upgrades.... now I am lucky to get an upgrade even in redeye and forced downgrade to econmy seems to be somewhat normal. I think I will give up my status on alaska and start flying cheaper competition with paid seats ...
I have seen these posts every now and then and I really am sorry if this was your experience. However I have been flying AS since the 70’s and been in the mileage program since 93 and have been MVPG since that time (need to upgrade my FT info to reflect MM) and I have NEVER been downgraded from paid first or PC to coach. I have lost upgrades due to cancellations or equipment swap but never on a paid ticket. I am sure there is someone on this forum that may have had a “unique” experience, but I think my experience reflects the norm. Bad flights with poor customer service..yeah..sure but it pales against the great service I see on AS and Horizon.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
As a 75k, I'm shocked that you've never had this problem before. There are at least 3 or 4 threads that touch on this subject directly, and you're right, it's a pain in the neck.

There are ways to mitigate it from happening to you, one of which is to watch the tail #s and the subsequent swaps (sometimes as many as 2 to 4 within t-36 hours) to stay on top of the seats/maps. Much like UA, AS has become an airline that benefits from informed pax oversight when it comes to a number of areas that directly effect your travel experience.

Until the retrofits are done next year, this will continue to happen. Like it has for the last 18 months or so.
Seattlenerd and jjmadison like this.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 10:19 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Yep, I was recently moved back to economy due to equipment change. AS deposited a $25 voucher into my account to compensate. It does make me wonder just how many 75Ks are on board (JFK-SFO) to have to drop a 75K down to the back. I spent $22.50 on 3 scotches to endure the flight. Some days are just worse than others on AS.

Last edited by davistev; Nov 24, 2019 at 7:12 pm
Old Nov 24, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Good call! T-110min when the last few were cleared into F, I grabbed a PC seat in row 6, jumping ahead of 6 people on the waitlist.
T-110 to boarding or to scheduled departure?
Old Nov 24, 2019, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
T-110 to boarding or to scheduled departure?
Scheduled departure. It's all dependent on when the agent shows up at the gate to work the flight and they manually move the upgrades to F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.