Search
Old Apr 11, 2016, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ashill
New Thread with 738 Fleet Tracking

739 thread with fleet tracking

Original Press Release

Originally Posted by alaskaair.com/newsroom
Seats in the Premium Class section will have at least 35" of pitch, compared to 31" to 32" in the rest of the main cabin. To make room for the Premium Class while maintaining pitch in the main cabin, Alaska will reconfigure and reduce the number of seats available on some aircraft. Also, pitch in the First Class cabin will be increased from 36" to 41" providing a significantly enhanced experience for those customers.

Code:
 Model     Fleet count       Current seats           Reconfigured cabin
 (First class/Main cabin)(First class/Premium class/Main)

737-800       61               16/147                    12/30/117

737-900/900ER 77               16/165                    16/24/138

E175          15               12/64                     12/12/52
737-800s: Rows 6-10 are Premium
737-900/900ERs: Rows 6-9 are Premium

All 737-800s have been converted. 737-900s now in work. All aircraft to be complete by end of 2017.

Snack Box info from AKCuisine and Post 514:

3" x 3" x 2" box weighing in at 2.17 ounces. It's also "locally sourced - which translates to "Distributed by Oakfield Farms Solutions LLC, Grapevine, Texas."

Inside the box is 1.16 oz of Craisins (110 cal); 0.63 oz of unsalted almonds (100 cal); and a 0.375 oz square of Ghirardelli chocolate (50 cals) - total, 260 calories.
Print Wikipost

Premium Class Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:39 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by missamo80
Yes, regular and hope. Or book exit and if you're next on the UG list at the gate and there's a seat open ask the agent to do it for you.

Neil
We like the exit row and don't want PE, but back in the beginning they kept moving us to PE, I'd put us back, they'd move us again, I'd put us back (once I could not)...it was a real pain. This is a welcome change.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Is the Premium Class service any different on redeyes?

Have LAX-ANC coming up. Got an email that Premium Class was no longer available, so got $25 vouchers (was in Row 6, so all good), but now Premium Class is back on the plane. Not a bad deal!
I haven't seen a difference flying in Premium Class several times this year, mostly on Red Eyes to/from ANC outside of the fact that I don't feel like drinking an adult beverage that late at night.

I stay alert/awake until the service cart comes along, grab my snack box and then try to go to sleep for the next 3+ hours
Old Aug 26, 2017, 11:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by cragAK
I stay alert/awake until the service cart comes along, grab my snack box and then try to go to sleep for the next 3+ hours
My last redeye ANC-SEA was 2:45 Barely had time to finish the movie... let alone sleep.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: AS 1MM/MVPG, AS Lounge, DL SkyClub (Life), Hertz 5* -- AA, DL, UA
Any point to PE box, with this?

Originally Posted by missamo80
Yes, regular and hope. Or book exit and if you're next on the UG list at the gate and there's a seat open ask the agent to do it for you.

Neil
What's the point of the "upgrade to PE box", if AS won't move you if you chose exit row & PE? I see what's in the FAQs but it fails the logic test. Exit row choice overrides the PE box? Really? Does the FAQ need more nuance?
pbelmore likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:08 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by akdancer
What's the point of the "upgrade to PE box", if AS won't move you if you chose exit row & PE? I see what's in the FAQs but it fails the logic test. Exit row choice overrides the PE box? Really? Does the FAQ need more nuance?
Not for those of us who are 6'4" and prefer the exit row and have had to watch like a hawk to make sure we aren't moved into PE seats with less leg room ... especially if the checkbox never presents itself as an option. Which happens with corporate travel portals. What AS really needs is a way to opt-OUT of PE on the web after a ticket is purchased.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
Not for those of us who are 6'4" and prefer the exit row and have had to watch like a hawk to make sure we aren't moved into PE seats with less leg room ... especially if the checkbox never presents itself as an option. Which happens with corporate travel portals. What AS really needs is a way to opt-OUT of PE on the web after a ticket is purchased.
You should try row 6 PE. I'm a few inches taller than you, and PE row 6 is much better than row 17. Plus, considering how long it takes to unload, row 6 gets you off 5+ minutes faster.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:47 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by akdancer
Uh, if you're sitting in any other non-exit row seat?

Neil
Old Dec 8, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Forgot to opt out of PC when booking, and forgot about the new won't upgrade from Exit Rows logic, so called in to opt out. No problems but when the ticket was reissued, it showed back on the PC waitlist. Called again to re-remove it.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 6:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Forgot to opt out of PC when booking, and forgot about the new won't upgrade from Exit Rows logic, so called in to opt out. No problems but when the ticket was reissued, it showed back on the PC waitlist. Called again to re-remove it.
This is consistent with my experience. If you don't check the opt-out box initially, it seems like they have a lot of trouble opting you out after the fact. I have a ticket where I am traveling with two small children, but on two different PNRs because I used a companion cert for one of the kids. I linked the PNRs, but you can't combine them. At the time of booking, PE was brand-new and I missed the opt-out box. So two of us then got upgraded to PE, leaving my no-status 6-year-old alone in regular economy. I called, explained the situation, rejected the PE upgrade, and had us reseated together in economy. The agent said she would opt us out of further upgrades.

Literally the next day, two of us got upgraded again. I called again, same thing. She reseats us together in coach, and says we'll really be opted out this time.

Nope. We get upgraded again. Rinse and repeat.

The fourth time, the CSR just moved the second child to PE and waived the fee, saying she didn't think the opt-out was ever going to stick.

And then we did that all again for the return leg.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: AS (MVP), UA (silver), AA, DL, Hilton (Gold)
Which has more legroom? a PE seat or the exit row aisle 16 or 17?

What is the difference in pitch?
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pfpdx

While I don't know the answer to your specific question, I'd like to point out that there are also several other differences in the seats:

PE has at least regular recline. Row 17 has some recline (though I think it may be less than regular). however, row 16 has no recline (rows directly in front of exit rows, at regular spacing, can never have recline, and since rows 16 and 17 are exit rows, rows 15 and 16 have no recline).

And aren't the trays different too?

And underseat storage may be tricky in the first row (always 6?) of PE, since even if there's no bulkhead, there's only two seats in front of you, but three seats in your row, so if all three seats are occupied, you're one underseat storage short.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite

There is definitely more pitch in the exit row, at least 1-2 inches based on my empirical experience, and row 17 is preferred due to the recline.

I cannot both put my backpack under the seat in front of me and stretch my legs in PE. I can, easily, in row 17.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: AS (MVP), UA (silver), AA, DL, Hilton (Gold)
So normally I avoid row 16 because of no recline (and any no recline rows), however on a recent UA flight, it was row 16 (first row of two row window exit setup) or back of the plane, so I went with 16 and it was pretty good. The extra legroom made up for no recline.

Any thoughts on 16 on Alaska planes. I'm hoping I get moved up to PE, but if the choice is between regular economy leg room or row 16, what would you choose?
Old Dec 13, 2017, 5:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
So normally I avoid row 16 because of no recline (and any no recline rows), however on a recent UA flight, it was row 16 (first row of two row window exit setup) or back of the plane, so I went with 16 and it was pretty good. The extra legroom made up for no recline.

Any thoughts on 16 on Alaska planes. I'm hoping I get moved up to PE, but if the choice is between regular economy leg room or row 16, what would you choose?
16 hands down.
pfpdx likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 5:12 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by beckoa
16 hands down.
But keep in mind that 16 (and 17) will have shorter seat pans. I've done transcons in exit rows, but I'd rather have a non-PC normal seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.