Search
Old Apr 11, 2016, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ashill
New Thread with 738 Fleet Tracking

739 thread with fleet tracking

Original Press Release

Originally Posted by alaskaair.com/newsroom
Seats in the Premium Class section will have at least 35" of pitch, compared to 31" to 32" in the rest of the main cabin. To make room for the Premium Class while maintaining pitch in the main cabin, Alaska will reconfigure and reduce the number of seats available on some aircraft. Also, pitch in the First Class cabin will be increased from 36" to 41" providing a significantly enhanced experience for those customers.

Code:
 Model     Fleet count       Current seats           Reconfigured cabin
 (First class/Main cabin)(First class/Premium class/Main)

737-800       61               16/147                    12/30/117

737-900/900ER 77               16/165                    16/24/138

E175          15               12/64                     12/12/52
737-800s: Rows 6-10 are Premium
737-900/900ERs: Rows 6-9 are Premium

All 737-800s have been converted. 737-900s now in work. All aircraft to be complete by end of 2017.

Snack Box info from AKCuisine and Post 514:

3" x 3" x 2" box weighing in at 2.17 ounces. It's also "locally sourced - which translates to "Distributed by Oakfield Farms Solutions LLC, Grapevine, Texas."

Inside the box is 1.16 oz of Craisins (110 cal); 0.63 oz of unsalted almonds (100 cal); and a 0.375 oz square of Ghirardelli chocolate (50 cals) - total, 260 calories.
Print Wikipost

Premium Class Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2018, 8:50 am

First time flying AS and was wondering if these seats are worth it. I will be flying from DC to LAX. It's $79 a seat.

Last edited by Deafchick; Mar 9, 2018 at 11:57 am Reason: Correction.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Deafchick
First time flying AA and was wondering if these seats are worth it. I will be flying from DC to LAX. It's $79 a seat.
Kind of a preference thing. If you can get row 17 (or 16 if you don't recline) I wouldn't pay the extra $79 just for a drink or two and a tiny snack box. If row 17 (or 16) isn't available then I would consider the extra expense since that is a long flight and the extra room does make quite a difference. BTW Alaska is AS, American is AA.
Deafchick likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsguyrus
Originally Posted by Deafchick
First time flying AS
If you can get row 17 (or 16 if you don't recline) I wouldn't pay the extra $79 just for a drink or two and a tiny snack box.
How does a first time AS flyer (or anyone else without AS status*) get row 17 or 16 in advance without paying?

* I used to get row 17 for free as an AA Plat, (no AS status) but AFAIK that is gone in 2018. And even then, rows 17 and 16 wouldn't appear as available until after I'd booked and it recognized my AA status. My understanding was that in 2018 I have to buy Premium Class if I want an extra-legroom seat, as it's the only way to reserve an extra-legroom seat for someone without AS status. Is that not true?
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by sdsearch
How does a first time AS flyer (or anyone else without AS status*) get row 17 or 16 in advance without paying?
At 24 hrs pre-flight, they come open to everyone. However, I'd be extremely surprised if they weren't already taken on a transcon route
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 9:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by osubeavers01

At 24 hrs pre-flight, they come open to everyone. However, I'd be extremely surprised if they weren't already taken on a transcon route
Perhaps the previous occupant got lucky with an upgrade? Or they SDC'd or CNL'd their flight.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So is it possible to wait until after 24 hrs pre-flight (if no exit row seats you want area available, but Premium Class seats you'd want still are) to buy up to Premium Class at that point?

Obviously, "possible" would not be the same thing necessarily as "wise" depending on the flight, and depending on how closely you were monitoring seat availability, and depending on how close to 24 hrs pre-flight you can do all this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
So is it possible to wait until after 24 hrs pre-flight (if no exit row seats you want area available, but Premium Class seats you'd want still are) to buy up to Premium Class at that point?

Obviously, "possible" would not be the same thing necessarily as "wise" depending on the flight, and depending on how closely you were monitoring seat availability, and depending on how close to 24 hrs pre-flight you can do all this.
You should be able to but it right now. They should show up for sale when you pick seats.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:06 am

* I used to get row 17 for free as an AA Plat, (no AS status) but AFAIK that is gone in 2018. And even then, rows 17 and 16 wouldn't appear as available until after I'd booked and it recognized my AA status. My understanding was that in 2018 I have to buy Premium Class if I want an extra-legroom seat, as it's the only way to reserve an extra-legroom seat for someone without AS status. Is that not true?
It's been ages since I needed to do it, but I used to call in and ask the agents to move me to row 17. I just mentioned that I'm about the same size as Hagrid, and they would happily move me (for free)
jenee likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: AA PPro
Sorry if I have missed this, I'm new to MVP75k. Do they upgrade on mileage award ticket? THank you.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by tfizzle
Sorry if I have missed this, I'm new to MVP75k. Do they upgrade on mileage award ticket? THank you.
All fares are eligible for Premium Class upgrades for 75Ks. As far as I can tell, it's only the refundable Z fares that are first class upgrade-able, but YMMV.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by tfizzle
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
All fares are eligible for Premium Class upgrades for 75Ks. As far as I can tell, it's only the refundable Z fares that are first class upgrade-able, but YMMV.
For Premium:
75K can select Premium at booking on any fare class including saver award.
MVPG needs choice (N) or refundable economy (Z) award to pick at booking
MVP needs refundable economy (Z)

MVP & MVPG on lower fare classes need to wait for upgrade window (which mirrors F upgrade window)

For First:
Instant upgrades to F need to be in Z for all elites, otherwise its wait for the window to open

eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 11:31 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Did my first round trip in Premium Class last weekend.

- SEA-FAI 737-900: I was auto-assigned 6F which was a really nice way to fly. Plenty of legroom, outlets and close to the front of the plane. Very friendly service from the flight attendants who told us all we could have free booze.

- FAI-SEA 737-800: This time I was auto-assigned 22A. I paid $75 for 10A which ended up being one of those seats where your window isn't a window. Also, after the door shut the passenger in 10C asked if her husband who was somewhere behind the wing could come sit in 10B. The flight attendant said yes. I hate self upgrading. Still, it beat 22A. I was even able to use my laptop in the seat without too much difficultly.
Old May 6, 2018, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Is this true for PC and exit row seats, or just for "preferred" seats?

Because PC, preferred and exit row are all wide open on my Hawaii flights (while the rest of the economy cabin has virtually no seats left). Does not look like AS is too successful in selling the $100 upgrades LOL

Is it like WN now where you need to checkin at T-24 to snag a decent seat?
Old May 6, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Is this true for PC and exit row seats, or just for "preferred" seats?
Exit row and "preferred" seats; still need to pay for PC seats. However, given the recent announcement from Alaska, it sounds like this won't be true of exit row seats in the near future, as they will be offered for sale instead
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: Alaska 100k
Had a weird experience booking premium last night. Itin was as follows (with a companion):
SEA-JNU K-class
JNU-SIT G-class
SIT-SEA G-class

Naturally, I was able to select premium seats on SEA-JNU as it was in K. On SIT-SEA, it was going to charge me; as normal due to G class.

But on JNU-SIT (G-class), it showed $0 to select Premium seats - I am certain it did because it took me by surprise as it was a G fare. Additionally, on checkout, it only showed my fare purchase with $0 in add-ons.

But when I get my receipt by email, it shows $30 in purchased add-ons. Because I never would pay for premium seats on a 100 mile flight, customer care happily refunded my payment. But we were both confused as to why it showed up as free during purchase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.