Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2016, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dmodemd
On the Sunday night after your status changes in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan system, your new status will be applied to the reservations system (SABRE). The updated status will then flow into Alaska and other airlines' reservations gradually during the day on Monday.

There should not be a need to have your FF# deleted and re-entered.

You should see your status level appearing next to your name in the reservation displays. The display update may also lag behind what reservation agents can see.

Your position on the upgrade waitlist should also be then reflected correctly, although it has not been confirmed if 75Ks are actually moved onto the "priority" request queue for 75Ks. You may want to call in and verify.
Print Wikipost

Just Made MVP Gold.....Or Did I?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2016, 5:52 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL PM
I concur. 19th and 26th are still showing Gold on the reservations.
So we now know that waitlist updates correctly, request queue does not.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:20 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy, NEXUS
All of my reservations eventually updated to say 75k on their own, but I removed my FF# from the difficult ones and re-added it to be on the safe side after recent late upgrades on flights when I hadn't done so. Should be OK now, I hope.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quick question. Just went from no status to MVPG75 today. I have a flight on Monday and the return 10 days later. Status matched from UA 1K million miler. This is a mixed itinerary. SFO-SEA on UA. SEA-FAI on AS. Then return is FAI-SEA on AS and SEA-SFO on UA. All 1 ticket booked for work through corporate TA a couple weeks ago. What do I need to do to get on the upgrade list and pick better seats?
Old Oct 26, 2016, 11:58 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Being granted status today may still necessitate a several day waiting period for the other systems to "catch up". also, call and remove your Alaska # from the reservation. Wait a little bit and then add it again electronically. If choosing preferred seats is your primary goal than a reservations agent can do that for you at this time.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyupfrnt
Being granted status today may still necessitate a several day waiting period for the other systems to "catch up". also, call and remove your Alaska # from the reservation. Wait a little bit and then add it again electronically. If choosing preferred seats is your primary goal than a reservations agent can do that for you at this time.
Thank you. I will call.

Update: Called reservations. They got me better seats. She couldn't add me to the upgrade list for Monday but she called customer care and they added me. Hopefully with MVPG75 status. They said it takes 24-72 hours for status change to roll through the system. Fingers crossed on upgrade. This is my trial trip to see if I want to divert my flying to Alaska Airlines and partners.

Last edited by Baze; Oct 27, 2016 at 10:34 am
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, another question. Is there a way to actually tell if they put you on the upgrade list? I can't find anything in the app or online. Or can you only tell once you check in if don't get it ahead of time?
Old Oct 27, 2016, 11:26 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Baze
Ok, another question. Is there a way to actually tell if they put you on the upgrade list? I can't find anything in the app or online. Or can you only tell once you check in if don't get it ahead of time?
Normally it will show *Waitlisted* on your online res, but maybe not if your status hasn't fully changed and you were added manually? You could check if U is available around your upgrade window (T-120), along with F seats. Just start a dummy booking for your flight and select one of the buttons on the left such as Gold Guest Upgrade for your flight. Bolded U indicates availiabilty, U with a line through it indicates U0. Other than that, no seeing your name on the upgrade list at check in would be the acid test that you weren't added (maybe not added properly).

ETA: U is what upgrades book into and must be >0 for upgrades to process, even if there are empty F seats. If U is available on your flight after T-120 (sometimes it doesn't run right at the window opening so give it a little bit of time), and your reservation doesn't show upgraded, then call back and see if they can process the upgrade manually or unstick whatever is keeping the upgrade from completing.

Good luck and safe travels! I hope your Alaska experience proves to be satisfying for you!

Last edited by rustykettel; Oct 27, 2016 at 11:34 pm
Old Oct 28, 2016, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Normally it will show *Waitlisted* on your online res, but maybe not if your status hasn't fully changed and you were added manually? You could check if U is available around your upgrade window (T-120), along with F seats. Just start a dummy booking for your flight and select one of the buttons on the left such as Gold Guest Upgrade for your flight. Bolded U indicates availiabilty, U with a line through it indicates U0. Other than that, no seeing your name on the upgrade list at check in would be the acid test that you weren't added (maybe not added properly).

ETA: U is what upgrades book into and must be >0 for upgrades to process, even if there are empty F seats. If U is available on your flight after T-120 (sometimes it doesn't run right at the window opening so give it a little bit of time), and your reservation doesn't show upgraded, then call back and see if they can process the upgrade manually or unstick whatever is keeping the upgrade from completing.

Good luck and safe travels! I hope your Alaska experience proves to be satisfying for you!
Thank you for the info. Appreciate it. I will give that a try.

Edit to add update: Just called as it showed U available. I cleared into F. Thank you for the info. And she said I am showing on the waitlist for my return flight on the 9th as an MVPG75.

Last edited by Baze; Oct 28, 2016 at 10:57 am
Old Nov 2, 2016, 2:26 pm

Read through the whole thread but still unsure where things stand today. I just hit MVP gold, and it reflects as such online. However, a flight I booked about 3 months ago for December still shows my MVP status. I called them and inquired about removing / readding my MP number, but they said that doing so would lose my place in the Q and that when it was readded my ticket date for upgrade purposes would jump to the readd date.

Any advice? Should I just wait it out and hope the ticket changes to MVP gold (and get my companion on the upgrade list too?)? Or should I call again and remove/readd anyway? Hard to know when CS is right vs. misinformed.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 3:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by barabuski
Read through the whole thread but still unsure where things stand today. I just hit MVP gold, and it reflects as such online. However, a flight I booked about 3 months ago for December still shows my MVP status. I called them and inquired about removing / readding my MP number, but they said that doing so would lose my place in the Q and that when it was readded my ticket date for upgrade purposes would jump to the readd date.

Any advice? Should I just wait it out and hope the ticket changes to MVP gold (and get my companion on the upgrade list too?)? Or should I call again and remove/readd anyway? Hard to know when CS is right vs. misinformed.
All I can tell you is that we lived through this same (or similar) glitch a few years ago when we first turned Gold.

The fault in the logic of "you'll lose your place in the Q" is that...no you won't! You might lose your place in the MVP queue, but you'll jump ahead of all the MVP's and you may be last in the Gold queue, but that is better than being still an MVP, isn't it?

I would have them remove the number (and they will argue this with you), I just said, "I want to have my number removed" and wouldn't take "you don't have to" for an answer, then went back in and put the number in (make sure you have waited the week or two for your Gold status to actually take effect).

That's my advice, others might disagree.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 3:42 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy, NEXUS
You can also DM them on Twitter and ask to have your number removed. They don't ask questions and you don't have to wait on hold.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
All I can tell you is that we lived through this same (or similar) glitch a few years ago when we first turned Gold.

The fault in the logic of "you'll lose your place in the Q" is that...no you won't! You might lose your place in the MVP queue, but you'll jump ahead of all the MVP's and you may be last in the Gold queue, but that is better than being still an MVP, isn't it?

I would have them remove the number (and they will argue this with you), I just said, "I want to have my number removed" and wouldn't take "you don't have to" for an answer, then went back in and put the number in (make sure you have waited the week or two for your Gold status to actually take effect).

That's my advice, others might disagree.
Does "take effect" in this context mean that it is showing as MVP gold online? It currently is, but I don't know if you mean some other way of knowing. Thanks for the response, by the way!
Old Nov 2, 2016, 5:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by barabuski
Does "take effect" in this context mean that it is showing as MVP gold online? It currently is, but I don't know if you mean some other way of knowing. Thanks for the response, by the way!
How long ago did you make Gold? I had a flight about a week after, and it still showed me as just MVP even though I had gotten the "congratulations on making Gold" email. I was told at the time that there is a weekly or so "sweep" where the changes in status actually take effect.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 9:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
It's ridiculous that this issue still exists.

At a MINIMUM, Alaska could set some expectations in the "welcome" email that it may take a week or so after that mail before everything reflects properly. We're really an instant gratification society these days, and there's no excuse for these things taking so long within Alaska's system (I understand that everyone else is relying on some archaic system, so maybe getting the status to reflect across all partners will take longer).

Long rant about tonight's experience:

Made MVP with a flight on 11/20. Saw MVP status on my account late last week, got welcome mail on 11/25. But it wasn't reflected on an existing reservation (should've been done sometime today per FT info that the process runs on Sunday into Monday). Called tonight to fix it. Agent suggested *I* remove/re-add the reservation from my account (that is not possible). They tried some things, didn't work. Had to transfer me to someone in Reservations. They both could see that my account reflected MVP status, but it wasn't being applied to this reservation. This agent got me assigned to the seats I wanted, and said I was waitlisted for first. Said online record would be updated in a half hour or so to reflect this. I logged in later (likely not a full 30m), and saw the seat assignments, and no reference to the waitlist BUT at least I did have an option now to request the upgrade (and I saw MVP next to my acct #). So I tried requesting them again. The request failed (got an error message and "try again later, call this # if it still happens"). Logged off, tried again later (not sure how much later). Now I saw that I LOST my seat assignments. So I go fix that, and try to request the upgrade again. Same error. Tried a few more times over maybe a 1-2hr period. Eventually my reservation updated to show that I'm waitlisted. ^ Shouldn't be that hard.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 9:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wouldn't be surprised if things were even more tweaked after premium economy was implemented.

The complicated system just got even more complex.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.