Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dmodemd
On the Sunday night after your status changes in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan system, your new status will be applied to the reservations system (SABRE). The updated status will then flow into Alaska and other airlines' reservations gradually during the day on Monday.

There should not be a need to have your FF# deleted and re-entered.

You should see your status level appearing next to your name in the reservation displays. The display update may also lag behind what reservation agents can see.

Your position on the upgrade waitlist should also be then reflected correctly, although it has not been confirmed if 75Ks are actually moved onto the "priority" request queue for 75Ks. You may want to call in and verify.
Print Wikipost

Just Made MVP Gold.....Or Did I?

Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jigri2003
Hmm, shame for him, but good to know, especially the additional part about no better elite bonus even for additional flights after the status-qualifying flight until 1 day after status updates with the qualifying flight. That would certainly impact those with international partner flights which take up to 10 days to post. Although I imagine MP might be willing to retroactively adjust for the better status bonus for flights after the status-qualifying one if the member followed up?

Thanks!
YMMV...
Old Nov 16, 2014, 5:40 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Starwood
Ugggg. Should have listened and made the call. No upgrade as a 75k, my MVPG buddy on the same flight got one. Annoying considering my boarding pass states 75k.

John
Old Nov 16, 2014, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by seekinghelp
Ugggg. Should have listened and made the call. No upgrade as a 75k, my MVPG buddy on the same flight got one. Annoying considering my boarding pass states 75k.

John
Mind if we use you and this post as a poster child for telling people to call when they move up a tier?
Old Nov 16, 2014, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
Mind if we use you and this post as a poster child for telling people to call when they move up a tier?
Kick me while I'm down? Probably deserve it.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Kick me while I'm down? Probably deserve it.
No, no, no...it's just that people seem to not believe us when we tell them to call ("but the MVP Gold agent told me it would be automatically changed!"). Your post is a shining (and very concrete and very easy to reference) example of what happens when you trust what the airline says over what FlyerTalkers say.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 3:24 pm

I'm now on that painstaking call with AS where they are telling me that I'm already showing up as gold 75....patience......
Old Nov 17, 2014, 3:49 pm

Ok, I'm good to go. On a side note, if you get to a high enough customer service agent, they can see where you are on the upgrade list. When they see golds in front of 75K's, they then understand that being at the bottom of the 75K waiting list is better than the top of the gold waiting list.

Thank you to everyone in this thread that helped out on this.

john
Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, I'm good to go. On a side note, if you get to a high enough customer service agent, they can see where you are on the upgrade list. When they see golds in front of 75K's, they then understand that being at the bottom of the 75K waiting list is better than the top of the gold waiting list.

Thank you to everyone in this thread that helped out on this.

john
^^

FWIW, rather than arguing with them over your position on the waitlist, it's probably easier just to simply request they take you off the list (if they ask why, say your boss is in Y and you think it's bad form to be upgraded ahead of him or something) and then go add yourself back onto the list via the website. Then you don't need to work so hard to convince them that they're wrong and you're right.

Although the bit about a high-enough customer service agent seeing your position on the waitlist is interesting. I wasn't aware that anyone could do that at all...
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Had issues on the waitlist for sea-jnu & even twitter couldnt help...

None of the tricks worked... I was #8 on the ug list when I should have been #1.

Even stopped by counter in Lax and they were not able to help.

Ssooo... went to website to do same day change to a later flight, then switched back to my original flights. and voila! It worked, and jumped to #1 on 75. Cleared my ug this am when the plane was upgraded to a 737-900 _
Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec

None of the tricks worked... I was #8 on the ug list when I should have been #1.

Ssooo... went to website to do same day change to a later flight, then switched back to my original flights. and voila! It worked, and jumped to #1 on 75. Cleared my ug this am when the plane was upgraded to a 737-900 _
That's odd, but good to note.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Now I'm worried again that I still can't trust that I'm 100% ok as Gold after my fiascos last month.

Should I be content that my upgrade on my return last trip cleared at 72 hours (not 48) - would that be enough to make you confident everything is finally ok?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Now I'm worried again that I still can't trust that I'm 100% ok as Gold after my fiascos last month.

Should I be content that my upgrade on my return last trip cleared at 72 hours (not 48) - would that be enough to make you confident everything is finally ok?
Did the same person make modifications to all your pending reservations?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec

I'm wondering if you waitlisted for 75K upgrades too early- as there is a delay with status posting, and further delay with SABRE recognizing your 75K status. The SDC trick is a solid one though for 'day of' (granted this only would help a 75K)
Old Nov 20, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
Did the same person make modifications to all your pending reservations?
I have no idea. It was such a headache. She SAID she did, but so did the smart-sounding other one who supposedly did it first and messed it up so bad she put my husband as Gold, not me.

And if I call and they say "oh yes, you're fine", which is what they always do, how do you still know for sure?

Isn't there some way to look at your own account and know for sure? Would the fact that I received and USED my GGU's be an indication that everything is fine?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I have no idea. It was such a headache. She SAID she did, but so did the smart-sounding other one who supposedly did it first and messed it up so bad she put my husband as Gold, not me.

And if I call and they say "oh yes, you're fine", which is what they always do, how do you still know for sure?

Isn't there some way to look at your own account and know for sure? Would the fact that I received and USED my GGU's be an indication that everything is fine?
If they tell you "you're fine, you're on the list, no action necessary, etc." when you ask them to take your FFN out and then put it back in, then that should be a big red flag. You must insist that they go through the manual process. If they don't, then say thanks and have a nice day, wait five minutes, and call back. Hopefully you will get a different agent who gives you a different (read better) result.

When I moved up to 75K, I had five upcoming trips that I booked as a Gold. I waited a week after moving up, then I called and asked the agent to take me out/put me back in. Thankfully/luckily, this agent knew about the process and took care of it. She asked me for the PNR for each trip, went through the process as I waited, and told me "okay, that one's done - give me the next one." She instilled a sense of confidence in me that she really followed the steps. I've taken the first trip that the process touched (JNU-SEA-DTW-SEA-JNU) and was upgraded on all four segments. So the confidence was proven.

With that having been said, I'm not sure there is a means by which to confirm that the process is done. The steps that jackal described (have the agent take out your PNR and you put it back in afterward) might be worth trying. There shouldn't be a problem or trust issue with having the agent take out the FFN. If you have waited long enough after having attained the higher status, then your putting the FFN back in your record should work just fine. You will be able to confirm that your FFN was taken out of the record when you open it back up to reinsert.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.