Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dmodemd
On the Sunday night after your status changes in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan system, your new status will be applied to the reservations system (SABRE). The updated status will then flow into Alaska and other airlines' reservations gradually during the day on Monday.

There should not be a need to have your FF# deleted and re-entered.

You should see your status level appearing next to your name in the reservation displays. The display update may also lag behind what reservation agents can see.

Your position on the upgrade waitlist should also be then reflected correctly, although it has not been confirmed if 75Ks are actually moved onto the "priority" request queue for 75Ks. You may want to call in and verify.
Print Wikipost

Just Made MVP Gold.....Or Did I?

Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I called again and just got one who said "you're fine". She went on to explain that it is only a problem in the very beginning, when people first make Gold, and they are anxious to have it forced through. She said that is when there are problems. She went on to explain about MP being one system and Sabre being the other, and if you wait Sabre will naturally update everything after a week or so. She said she looked at all my reservations and they all show Gold.

Like the others, she really sounded knowledgeable.

Would you all call, again?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:20 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Starwood
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I called again and just got one who said "you're fine". She went on to explain that it is only a problem in the very beginning, when people first make Gold, and they are anxious to have it forced through. She said that is when there are problems. She went on to explain about MP being one system and Sabre being the other, and if you wait Sabre will naturally update everything after a week or so. She said she looked at all my reservations and they all show Gold.

Like the others, she really sounded knowledgeable.

Would you all call, again?

The only way to know for sure is to get taken off the list and add yourself back, but that will put you at the bottom of the gold list. Depending on the flight and when you booked, I wouldn't do it unless you are 75K.

Last edited by seekinghelp; Nov 20, 2014 at 2:40 pm
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:37 pm

I have now called for a third time and they won't do it! They all say I am properly updated. This newest one said the only time you have to do this is if you booked 3rd party (orbitz, priceline, etc.), to have your status updated. Again said if you booked directly through AS (which I do), then sabre takes care of it automatically.

What am I supposed to do when 3 calls have ended the same way - people refusing to take out the number and put it back in, saying it is not necessary?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:41 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Starwood
I have now called for a third time and they won't do it! They all say I am properly updated. This newest one said the only time you have to do this is if you booked 3rd party (orbitz, priceline, etc.), to have your status updated. Again said if you booked directly through AS (which I do), then sabre takes care of it automatically.

What am I supposed to do when 3 calls have ended the same way - people refusing to take out the number and put it back in, saying it is not necessary?
Tell them you prefer to sit in coach because your boss is. Then call back and get added.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
I'm with seekinghelp on this one. Call again.

The info that the only people who have this problem are those who just make Gold and are antsy. Well, the reason you are antsy is that they are giving you the runaround. Until they fix the system to automatically resolve this disconnect, they're gonna have people like you and they need to suck it up and provide some customer service.

Even if you don't fit in that mold, the stuff about "everything updating naturally" after a week is just pure nonsense.

What a cluster!

Last edited by dave1013; Nov 20, 2014 at 2:45 pm Reason: Misread the post and corrected mine accordingly.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
No, no, no!!!! A thousand nos!

I think you're asking them the wrong thing and/or perhaps spending too much time explaining why you need them to do this, which leads them to try to assure you you don't need to.

Just call in, and with no explanation of why, simply ask them to delete your AS Mileage Plan number out of the record. That's it; nothing more.

Then, after you've hung up, go back into your reservation on the website and do two things:

1. Add your Mileage Plan number back in, and
2. Waitlist for a complimentary upgrade

Should be pretty simple. Do NOT listen to any employee who tells you it is not necessary, or this will happen:

Originally Posted by seekinghelp
Ugggg. Should have listened and made the call. No upgrade as a 75k, my MVPG buddy on the same flight got one. Annoying considering my boarding pass states 75k.

John
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
So... i am joining the ranks of those who said to NOT trust what res tells you. After 2 agents swore that my #8 position was correct on the list, the guy who was #1 is my seatmate.

Guess what?

Hes NOT a 75k. Just gold, but a million miler.

So res wasnt wrong once, but twice. Stay firm my fellow "Turn left or turn around" upgraders ^_^
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:58 pm

Tell me exactly who to call...Gold Res? Gold CC? Regular res? Regular CC?

A number would be helpful, I know to trust you guys and this 4th time I will not get into any explanations, just ask to have my number taken out.

Problem is, it's not just me traveling, every one is with my husband who is MVP. Would that make a difference?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold

A number would be helpful, I know to trust you guys and this 4th time I will not get into any explanations, just ask to have my number taken out.

Problem is, it's not just me traveling, every one is with my husband who is MVP. Would that make a difference?
Call the Gold number.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Reservations (Gold Res is obviously better as you get through to them faster).

Customer Care can't (usually) help with live reservations, so call Res. They're the ones who make changes to reservations.

And no, it's the same procedure for your husband as for you or any other new elite.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:15 pm

Ok...halfway home. Called again and just said remove the number. She did. All of them.

Just went into my MP account and I have no number on any of my res.

Looks like I can add it in myself...should I do that or should I call and have them do it?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:25 pm

Ok...halfway home. Called again and just said remove the number. She did. All of them.

Looks like I can add it in myself...should I do that or should I call and have them do it?
Trust jackal, not the agent. I say that even in the face of my good experience. jackal's process has been proven to work.

You are a Gold for over 7 days, correct?

Your tale of woe makes me not want to call in for this sort of thing (were I so situated).
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can add it yourself--that's fine and much easier. Don't forget to request the upgrade once you've added the number.

In hindsight, having known it was your husband who just went from zero status to MVP, you actually probably could have skipped this and just made sure that upgrades had been requested for each of his itineraries. The big issue is when starting from one elite level and moving up to another--the agents will insist your new status is reflected and your upgrades will be processed with your new status, but the upgrade request will be tied to your old status unless you take the action we recommend. Since your husband previous had no status, simply ensuring he was on the upgrade waitlist would have been sufficient, as he had no old upgrade request in the system. It's all OK, though--no harm, no foul, and now you're 100% sure everything is done correctly...and will know what to do when he hits Gold.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:44 pm

No, my husband has been MVP for about 3 years - I've been MVP for 2, I'm the one who moved up to Gold (he didn't want to go to Detroit, I got the short stick)
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, my husband has been MVP for about 3 years - I've been MVP for 2, I'm the one who moved up to Gold (he didn't want to go to Detroit, I got the short stick)
Ah, OK...ignore the fine print in my post, then.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.