Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dmodemd
On the Sunday night after your status changes in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan system, your new status will be applied to the reservations system (SABRE). The updated status will then flow into Alaska and other airlines' reservations gradually during the day on Monday.

There should not be a need to have your FF# deleted and re-entered.

You should see your status level appearing next to your name in the reservation displays. The display update may also lag behind what reservation agents can see.

Your position on the upgrade waitlist should also be then reflected correctly, although it has not been confirmed if 75Ks are actually moved onto the "priority" request queue for 75Ks. You may want to call in and verify.
Print Wikipost

Just Made MVP Gold.....Or Did I?

Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by dave1013
So, overnight I careened back into Gold Territory. ^ :-: This morning I called the MVPG desk to have them remove and reinsert my MP number into four records for proper positioning on the respective waitlists.

The nice agent tried to do this and it didn't "take". It was still showing me as MVP (which is what some of you who look upon DEQM promotions with scorn and disdain would have me remain as for the rest of my life LOL). She consulted off line for a few minutes and came back and told me to call back next week. She insisted that the waitlist auto-updates for status on Sundays and this should all be taken care of by that process. But she understood my Ronald-Reagan-like perspective of "Trust, but verify!" and encouraged me to call back on Monday. If the waitlist auto-update doesn't cut it, they will do the manual taking-out and putting-back-in.

I will report back after next week's call.
It takes some time for Sabre to catch up and recognize your new status. Until then, it won't 'take'. It should show up immediately as Gold in your account on AS (mine did) but it was still showing MVP on all my future reservations. It took a few days for mine to update in Sabre and until then, there wasn't anything the agent could do for my future reservations. It was the following week, as I recall, so the Sunday update may be correct.

See this post: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22670676-post3129.html
Old Jun 5, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by Finkface
It takes some time for Sabre to catch up and recognize your new status. Until then, it won't 'take'. It should show up immediately as Gold in your account on AS (mine did) MINE TOO but it was still showing MVP on all my future reservations. It took a few days for mine to update in Sabre and until then, there wasn't anything the agent could do for my future reservations. It was the following week, as I recall, so the Sunday update may be correct.

See this post: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22670676-post3129.html
Thank you for the post.

The one thing I'm not sure of is if the Sabre update will cause the waitlist to be updated. Everything I have seen in this thread leads me to believe it won't. Regardless, I'm calling back next week.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 4:00 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Thank you for the post.

The one thing I'm not sure of is if the Sabre update will cause the waitlist to be updated. Everything I have seen in this thread leads me to believe it won't. Regardless, I'm calling back next week.
I doubt that it happens by itself regardless of reps telling you that it does. They told me the same thing but I found out later that it didn't happen and missed an upgrade because of it. Even the FA's couldn't figure out why I was in row 6 and MVP's were upgraded before me (I had booked, and my status had changed, well in advance of the flight). When Sabre has caught up, your reservations will show MVP Gold. That's when I would call in. I called in when it was still showing MVP on my res (but Gold on my account page) and, like you, it wouldn't take.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 12:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
It should just take a couple of days for a SABRE update - used to be an update on Saturday Night, but more frequent now it seems ^

Thank you for the post.

Correct- this has been tested several times and the waitlist will not update.

I doubt that it happens by itself regardless of reps telling you that it does. They told me the same thing but I found out later that it didn't happen and missed an upgrade because of it. Even the FA's couldn't figure out why I was in row 6 and MVP's were upgraded before me (I had booked, and my status had changed, well in advance of the flight). When Sabre has caught up, your reservations will show MVP Gold. That's when I would call in. I called in when it was still showing MVP on my res (but Gold on my account page) and, like you, it wouldn't take.
Another odd quirk is if you book in 2014 for 2015 status, you'd remain on the WL at the level of status you booked, pending any schedule/personal changes that require a ticket reissue.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
It should just take a couple of days for a SABRE update - used to be an update on Saturday Night, but more frequent now it seems ^

Another odd quirk is if you book in 2014 for 2015 status, you'd remain on the WL at the level of status you booked, pending any schedule/personal changes that require a ticket reissue.
Maybe that's what happened to me, then as that is exactly the situation. I booked in December, 2014, made Gold after and the flight was in 2015. Had no idea that was the case. When I phoned in once my status changed in Sabre, the rep assured me she could see me on the Gold waitlist. Didn't happen.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 6:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Maybe that's what happened to me, then as that is exactly the situation. I booked in December, 2014, made Gold after and the flight was in 2015. Had no idea that was the case. When I phoned in once my status changed in Sabre, the rep assured me she could see me on the Gold waitlist. Didn't happen.
Sounds like it. Same goes for 75K.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 11:43 am

Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Sounds like it. Same goes for 75K.
Well it should never happen to me again. While I will most likely never get to join the lofty ranks of 75K, I am solid Gold from here on in. Perish the thought of ever sliding back to lowly MVP . The bennies are just so much better up here in the middle tier.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 9:16 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Thank you for the post.

So are YOU why I didn't clear SEA/JNU tonight? j/k.

Actually I missed my original flight by 4 minutes (lame traffic in Miami) and AA had to reroute me out of LAX and into ORD then SEA, and remarkably the 815pm flight to JNU was wide open up front... something you don't see. EVER.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 8:19 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Just Made MVP Gold.....Or Did I?

UPDATE

So I called Monday morning and asked the agent to remove my MP number from four upcoming reservations and then put it back in. He checked each one and said "you already show up as a Gold and taking out/putting back in is not necessary." I chose not to push it with the agent and wrote to the Mileage Plan after hanging up, saying that my frequently-traveling friends are adamant that the take-out/put-back-in process is needed to ensure correct waitlisting status.

Today I got this reply, which if true, represents a truly watershed event:

Dear dave1013,

"Thank you for contacting Alaska Airlines.

"Congratulations on earning MVP Gold!

"<The agent you spoke with> is correct. We have had a system enhancement that once a member reaches status it will pick up any upcoming reservations and change the status in the booking. The below reservations do reflect your MVP Gold status and I show you
are currently wait-listed." (In my email I included the four PNR's for them to carry out the process)

"Please let us know if you have any other questions."

I hope it works!
Old Jun 11, 2014, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
UPDATE

So I called Monday morning and asked the agent to remove my MP number from four upcoming reservations and then put it back in. He checked each one and said "you already show up as a Gold and taking out/putting back in is not necessary." I chose not to push it with the agent and wrote to the Mileage Plan after hanging up, saying that my frequently-traveling friends are adamant that the take-out/put-back-in process is needed to ensure correct waitlisting status.

Today I got this reply, which if true, represents a truly watershed event:

Dear dave1013,

"Thank you for contacting Alaska Airlines.

"Congratulations on earning MVP Gold!

"<The agent you spoke with> is correct. We have had a system enhancement that once a member reaches status it will pick up any upcoming reservations and change the status in the booking. The below reservations do reflect your MVP Gold status and I show you
are currently wait-listed." (In my email I included the four PNR's for them to carry out the process)

"Please let us know if you have any other questions."

I hope it works!
What you posted is nothing new...I was actually told that exact same thing (in almost the exact same verbiage) four years ago.

Up to you if you want to risk it, but I wouldn't. Unless these are itineraries that you booked 9 months ago and are convinced that de-listing and re-listing you would knock you down below a bunch of other Golds you're currently in front of, I would say the risk of losing your current position is far, far outweighed by the strong chance that you're currently below all MVP Golds, despite what AS agents say.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
What you posted is nothing new...I was actually told that exact same thing (in almost the exact same verbiage) four years ago.

Up to you if you want to risk it, but I wouldn't. Unless these are itineraries that you booked 9 months ago and are convinced that de-listing and re-listing you would knock you down below a bunch of other Golds you're currently in front of, I would say the risk of losing your current position is far, far outweighed by the strong chance that you're currently below all MVP Golds, despite what AS agents say.
Ditto, but mine was only in March. I am still kicking myself for believing it and not calling back.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 12:15 am

Agree with the above- yes the res now knows you are Gold, but you were put on the WL as a MVP and this has not changed.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Elite bonus on qualifying flight - New status or old?

Haven't found a similar question in 15 pages, so here goes:

When reaching the next level of status through a qualifying flight, does AS MP award the elite bonus RDMs based on the new status or the old? It seems like it awards it based on the old status if a recent experience for a MVP to MVPG member is any indication, even though it was a 2000 mile flight and he was previously only 200 miles short of the new MVPG level, he got 50% elite bonus instead of 100%.

Any thoughts on whether this is standard practice and intentional? Or an unlucky glitch and he should follow up with MP to get the additional 50% elite bonus RDMs? I know AA grants the bonus based on the new status, but not aware of AS practice in this regard?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by jigri2003
Haven't found a similar question in 15 pages, so here goes:

When reaching the next level of status through a qualifying flight, does AS MP award the elite bonus RDMs based on the new status or the old? It seems like it awards it based on the old status if a recent experience for a MVP to MVPG member is any indication, even though it was a 2000 mile flight and he was previously only 200 miles short of the new MVPG level, he got 50% elite bonus instead of 100%.

Any thoughts on whether this is standard practice and intentional? Or an unlucky glitch and he should follow up with MP to get the additional 50% elite bonus RDMs? I know AA grants the bonus based on the new status, but not aware of AS practice in this regard?
On the old status. In fact, you won't get credit per the new status until at least a day after the miles post that put you over the new status hump.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by jackal
On the old status. In fact, you won't get credit per the new status until at least a day after the miles post that put you over the new status hump.
Hmm, shame for him, but good to know, especially the additional part about no better elite bonus even for additional flights after the status-qualifying flight until 1 day after status updates with the qualifying flight. That would certainly impact those with international partner flights which take up to 10 days to post. Although I imagine MP might be willing to retroactively adjust for the better status bonus for flights after the status-qualifying one if the member followed up?

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.