Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RobertHanson
As an additional resource for these cards see the threads here: Current Alaska Airlines Card Offers. Previous 2012-2016 Alaska Airlines Card Offers.

If you are applying for a personal AS card, and are not an expert on applying for A/S cards STOP, don't apply yet. Instead read post #3688 in the other AS thread linked above. Believe me, doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.

Link to enhanced AS card that waives $99 fee for Companion Fare (only pay taxes & fees): 30K miles and $99 CF fee waived

$100 stmt. credit link for 30K card & $22 CF pass:https://secure.bankofamerica.com/applynow/welcome.go Now active, as of 7/19/17

Business card offer of 30K miles

Can you book Cathay flights using AS miles? Probably NOT:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-later-68.html
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines Visa

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2015, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
We're trying to decide whether to get another AS Visa. We fly AS all the time (we're both Gold), but right now our companion fare arrives in July and our GGUs come in Dec/Jan, and they burn a hole in my pocket! I want to use them both together, and I figure if we get another AS card we can have at least one opportunity a year to do that (since if we apply now it will come now).

But I don't use the AS card we have now that much. I often put the air tickets on it, but I often don't because we've got lots of miles and usually want to rev up one of our hotel credit cards.

We'd then have 2 AS cards we don't use much, but it seems a lot of people have AS cards they don't use at all and think nothing of it!

We'd get it primarily for the second companion fare.

Good idea or not?
I'm assuming you and your husband each have a card (if not, that's a no-brainer, just get the other spouse a card of their own). But, more likely than not, you're thinking of a third card....I accidentally ordered two cards on the same day (in my name) earlier in the year due to a computer snafu on my part. I could have called B of A and cancelled the second card (kinda surprised the would instantly approve me for two on the same day) but then I realized that with the second card I'd get another 25,000 miles AND companion cert AND $100 statement credit. So, I spent at least $1000 on both cards and got the statement credits....one card gets filed away and the other mainly gets used for the triple miles on AS purchases which is what it's good for. If you have decent credit, you should be able to get that third card and enjoy it for what it's really worth....as long as you used it enough to get the $100 statement credit, it's a win for you and a win for B of A since they charge merchant fees every time you use the card.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
No, it would only be a second card. We have one (in my name) and husband is the AU.

Where is the link for the offer with the $100 statement credit? I only see the straight 25,000 miles (plus 1,000 miles if you book on board).
Old Nov 22, 2015, 8:13 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
No, it would only be a second card. We have one (in my name) and husband is the AU.

Where is the link for the offer with the $100 statement credit?
I only see the straight 25,000 miles (plus 1,000 miles if you book on board).
In the wiki of this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...ss-25k-up.html
Old Nov 22, 2015, 9:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
We're trying to decide whether to get another AS Visa. We fly AS all the time (we're both Gold), but right now our companion fare arrives in July and our GGUs come in Dec/Jan, and they burn a hole in my pocket! I want to use them both together, and I figure if we get another AS card we can have at least one opportunity a year to do that (since if we apply now it will come now).

But I don't use the AS card we have now that much. I often put the air tickets on it, but I often don't because we've got lots of miles and usually want to rev up one of our hotel credit cards.

We'd then have 2 AS cards we don't use much, but it seems a lot of people have AS cards they don't use at all and think nothing of it!

We'd get it primarily for the second companion fare.

Good idea or not?
For the first year, it's a no-brainer. There's no harm in having a seldom-used card sitting in your safe, and the statement credit plus miles plus companion fare is worth a lot more than the annual fee.

Beyond the first year, the math is pretty simple: the card is worth keeping if you can use the pass for trips where buying the second ticket outright would cost more than the sum of the $99 companion ticket price + taxes + annual fee, which generally figures out to somewhere around $225 or so. Also noteworthy: if the first ticket is purchased as an H fare, the companion counts as H too, so you get two instant upgrade fares for the price of one. I've found that to be a very nice way of stretching out my GGUs.

Personally, I try to put a few bucks on our AS cards every now and then, but as near as I can tell, BoA really doesn't care what you do with them as long as the annual fee gets paid. Or, if you're more aggressive, you can cancel when the annual fee comes due and get another card the next time you want a companion pass. I don't do that myself, but it seems to work for those who do.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 9:46 pm

I keep getting these 30,000 bonus offers in the mail from Bank of America for the Alaska airlines visa. Is this the best offer?
Old Nov 22, 2015, 11:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by ManFactSpendLA
I keep getting these 30,000 bonus offers in the mail from Bank of America for the Alaska airlines visa. Is this the best offer?
Haven't seen a better offer in some time (for # of miles)
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:36 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Duranza, I did try that link in the wiki for the $100 statement credit but it no longer works (said session was timed out), that's why I was hoping someone had a current one.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Duranza, I did try that link in the wiki for the $100 statement credit but it no longer works (said session was timed out), that's why I was hoping someone had a current one.
Search a flight on Alaska site and see if it would pop up the offer for you.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 4:51 pm

Was it timed out when you clicked the link, or after you filled out the app and tried to submit it? Because the app comes up just fine for me, but I didn't fill it out and submit it. Hoping to apply again in a few weeks, so I'd like it to still be working.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 6:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
No foreign transaction fees coming?

Page 66 of the investor day presentation indicates a 0% foreign transaction fee for the Alaska Visa.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....ventId=5212772
Old Dec 3, 2015, 7:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Delta Plat, HHonors Gold, NEXUS, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Bretmd
Page 66 of the investor day presentation indicates a 0% foreign transaction fee for the Alaska Visa.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....ventId=5212772
Hmmm I thought this was already true, guess I must be mixing up my cards!

They mention new benefits... plural... wonder what else will be coming...
Old Dec 4, 2015, 2:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

That copied link didn't work.

Looks like Q2 of 2016 is when the zero % Forex kicks in...wonder if the AF will remain $75?
Old Dec 4, 2015, 10:32 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by beckoa
wonder if the AF will remain $75?
They specifically called out in the investor presentation discussion that their annual fee was lower than anyone else. I doubt after telling all the investors that they'll turn around and raise it.

To put it another way, if they were going to raise it, they would have said so at investor day and touted how much more revenue they'd be getting for it.

Neil
Old Dec 6, 2015, 11:24 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
There are some AS Platinum Visa cards out there that act the same way as the new Signature cards ($75 fee, companion cert), except that AS doesn't give the free bag benefit because the card doesn't say "Signature".

Is there any way to convert them over to a Signature card? (I know that there are lots of users here who like to play the churning game, but it can be damaging to credit when the original card is really old and you don't want to cancel it.)
Old Dec 7, 2015, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Kremmen
it can be damaging to credit when the original card is really old and you don't want to cancel it.)
That's an 'urban myth'. Any card account you cancel stays on your CR for 10 years after you close it. So yes, if you were to cancel all of your cards today, and not apply for any more, 10 years from now that would harm your CR. Otherwise, not so much...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.