Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Same Day Confirmed Change (SDC)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
I've not seen the issue where you're unable to select another seat, so can't help there, but I have seen the not showing up on waitlist plenty. If you don't see yourself on the app/gate waitlist, you're not on it. To prevent it from happening, wait a good 10-15 mins before you check in for your new flight for whatever backend magic has to happen, and that generally will get you there. Calling in can help sometimes, but most cases I find agents just say "no, I see you on it" and don't do much to help. Some will put you on hold, remove you and re-add you (or something similar) and that does tend to do something, but the waiting to check-in is easier.
Thanks. I will try the re-checkng in. I too have had the verbal assurance that the phone agent says they "see me on the upgrade list" when I don't see myself on the app. I have had the successful experience of an agent uncheck me in and have me check in again.

I have presumed innocence and imagined that there is something like an administrative hold as a control against disruptions from people doing frequent SDC's or SDC's as a way to somehow game the system.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by jrl767
once again, we see that policy isn’t what’s written; policy is what’s practiced ... seems that “YMMV” should be the standard answer
Has anyone been denied an SDC for SEA/PAE anytime in the past couple months? I think there was some denial right when PAE opened, but everything I've seen recently seems to show that if you SDC via a call, you can switch to PAE.

I've got a flight that is scheduled to leave SEA, but I'd really like to take the PAE flight earlier in the day. But it will cost an extra $150+ to switch to PAE currently. Really want to try and do an SDC if I can. It's not the end of the world if I can't, so I'm thinking it might be worth the risk.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Bellerina
Has anyone been denied an SDC for SEA/PAE anytime in the past couple months? I think there was some denial right when PAE opened, but everything I've seen recently seems to show that if you SDC via a call, you can switch to PAE.

I've got a flight that is scheduled to leave SEA, but I'd really like to take the PAE flight earlier in the day. But it will cost an extra $150+ to switch to PAE currently. Really want to try and do an SDC if I can. It's not the end of the world if I can't, so I'm thinking it might be worth the risk.
Depending upon how many hours earlier, what's the actual risk? I'd do it.
Bellerina likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 9:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Bellerina

They will charge any applicable taxes if you add segments, but may get a refund if connections are decreased. (mywallet funds)

Just did another SDC into PAE. Its awesome ^
Bellerina likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 10:09 am

My current itinerary is SFO-SEA-FAI, connecting through Seattle for 14 hours, though both SFO-SEA and SEA-FAI depart on the same day.

I'm MVP Gold, and I want to change the second leg, SEA-FAI, to an earlier flight. I saw that the SDC rule allows me to make the request during online check-in. Does that mean that I'll be able to request changing the second leg 24 hours before the first leg? That would then be 38 hours before the flight I want to change...

On a related matter, am I automatically waitlisted for complimentary upgrade after I do SDC? Thanks!!
Old Nov 17, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Originally Posted by barcelona_xavi
My current itinerary is SFO-SEA-FAI, connecting through Seattle for 14 hours, though both SFO-SEA and SEA-FAI depart on the same day.

I'm MVP Gold, and I want to change the second leg, SEA-FAI, to an earlier flight. I saw that the SDC rule allows me to make the request during online check-in. Does that mean that I'll be able to request changing the second leg 24 hours before the first leg? That would then be 38 hours before the flight I want to change...

On a related matter, am I automatically waitlisted for complimentary upgrade after I do SDC? Thanks!!
Yes if on the same reservation. You are checking in for the reservation which starts as early as 24 hours from the first leg of the trip.

Second question, you SHOULD be automatically waitlisted. I don't often do same day changes (SDC's), but in my experience, it may take a while before you show up and it may take a phone call to get it done.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 5:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Quick question to you all.

Tried to change my flight from LAX - SEA today at the airport to an earlier one. Flight was about to start boarding, and I asked the gate agent to put me on the waitlist. Answer from her was a rude no. Explained that I’d like to exercise my gold perk and would like to change flights and she took my name but obviously wasn’t doing anything. Told her I’d wait while she added me to the standby list and got a “I can multi task.”

Okay. I step aside and wait a couple of mins, name still isn’t showing on the list. Ask her again and she said she still hasn’t put it in. I’ve had enough at this point and just wait. She never puts it on the list and the flight closes.

Was Alaska process violated here?
Old Nov 17, 2019, 5:19 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by MonThruThurs

Tried to change my flight from LAX - SEA today at the airport to an earlier one. Flight was about to start boarding, and I asked the gate agent to put me on the waitlist. Answer from her was a rude no. Explained that I’d like to exercise my gold perk and would like to change flights and she took my name but obviously wasn’t doing anything. Told her I’d wait while she added me to the standby list and got a “I can multi task.”

Okay. I step aside and wait a couple of mins, name still isn’t showing on the list. Ask her again and she said she still hasn’t put it in. I’ve had enough at this point and just wait. She never puts it on the list and the flight closes.

Yes. Write in and report it with flight details and agent info. (if available).
MonThruThurs likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Yes. Write in and report it with flight details and agent info. (if available).
Already done. Thanks for the validation.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by MonThruThurs

I would suggest to have called the gold line while you were waiting. They likely could have gotten you on the list just as easily. Could report the lackluster agent at the same time and multi task yourself...
MonThruThurs likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 10:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by PaperGlider

Originally Posted by barcelona_xavi
<snip>
<snip>
Second question, you SHOULD be automatically waitlisted. I don't often do same day changes (SDC's), but in my experience, it may take a while before you show up and it may take a phone call to get it done.
Several agents have mentioned that when performing a SDC, *DO NOT* checkin for your flight immediately afterwards. This is a recipe for some reason to not get waitlisted. In fact, one should wait 15+ minutes. I'd give it at least a half hour, and then try checking in. And make sure your name appears on the app; I've lost out on upgrades this year due to this bug.

Originally Posted by DrAlex
I would suggest to have called the gold line while you were waiting. They likely could have gotten you on the list just as easily. Could report the lackluster agent at the same time and multi task yourself...
Or even go find another agent at another podium to add you to the waitlist. There are several opportunities here, and yes the agent was probably insanely busy. Make it easier for them to multi task. Yes, they should be able to help you; but others can too who might have a minute longer to do this action. Good luck next time ^
Old Nov 17, 2019, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by DrAlex
yeah, that bit me last week ... IAD-LAX landed ~0925; I was booked on LAX-SEA at 1110 but was hoping to make the 0950 so I could get to at least part of the Sounders celebration parade ... texted as soon as we cleared the runway and got “someone will be with you in less than 5 minutes” ... I was in 1A; grabbed my backpack out of the bin and hustled up the 65B jetway without waiting for anyone, got to 64A at 0940 as the GA was still typing something, asked “Room for one more?” ... she spent about another 10-15 seconds typing before she looked at me blankly ... I asked again, she said, “Oh. Uh, no, there were a few seats, but it’s closed.”
Old Nov 17, 2019, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
Several agents have mentioned that when performing a SDC, *DO NOT* checkin for your flight immediately afterwards. This is a recipe for some reason to not get waitlisted. In fact, one should wait 15+ minutes. I'd give it at least a half hour, and then try checking in. And make sure your name appears on the app; I've lost out on upgrades this year due to this bug.

Or even go find another agent at another podium to add you to the waitlist. There are several opportunities here, and yes the agent was probably insanely busy. Make it easier for them to multi task. Yes, they should be able to help you; but others can too who might have a minute longer to do this action. Good luck next time ^
The gate agent deliberately didn’t put me on the standby list. Not sure I agree with your sentiment, but agree I could’ve found a workaround from a rogue supervisor.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 11:49 am

Thanks for mentioning this. I'll try waiting 15 minutes before checking in for the new flight the next time I do a SDC.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Excellent advice.

I recently (accidentally) tested this. Here are my findings:

1. I SDCed a flight and then proceeded with the check-in process (the app makes you check in before selecting a seat less than T24, so I bet a lot of people do this after an SDC). Immediately after hitting the check-in button, I remembered that this could break the upgrader. Sure enough, I was missing from the waitlist.

2. I called in and asked an agent to get me on the waitlist. After 15 min of attempts, I still wasn't showing up, despite the agent assuring me I was on there. I've learned from multiple previous lost upgrades that when you're not showing in the app, the upgrader won't work--even if the phone agent says you are on the waitlist. I thank the agent for trying and hang up.

3. I decide to run my own "ticket reset" in the app by SDCing back to the original flight and then again SDCing to the flight I want. This time, I wait 15 min after SDCing.

Result: I was showing as #3 on the waitlist, and upgraded at the gate.

Conclusion: if you do check in immediately after SDCing and are missing from the waitlist, run your own ticket reset in the app, then wait 15 min, and check-in. All should be fixed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.