Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Same Day Confirmed Change (SDC)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2019, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by PaperGlider
Yes if on the same reservation. You are checking in for the reservation which starts as early as 24 hours from the first leg of the trip.

Second question, you SHOULD be automatically waitlisted. I don't often do same day changes (SDC's), but in my experience, it may take a while before you show up and it may take a phone call to get it done.
Reporting back here. Now that the check-in for my first leg is open, I was advised that I cannot SDC the second leg until it is 24 hours before the *second* leg.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
gee, that’s exactly what several posters said
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 8:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Bellerina
Update: SDC from SEA-SJC to a PAE-SJC no problem. CS on the phone said SEA and PAE were co-terminals.

I waited 30 minutes to check in, and I’m now showing up at the top of the upgrade list!
Worked as expected- excellent.

Originally Posted by jrl767
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
Flying ZLO-LAX-SEA under one reservation. The LAX-SEA is the following day at 6am. Just to confirm, I will NOT be able to SDC the LAX-SEA to the day before to avoid the overnight LAX layover, correct?
that doesn’t really answer the question ... ZLO-LAX is an afternoon flight (depart ~1630 arrive ~1810), so OLCI at ~T-12 would indeed be after the window for the next day’s 0600 LAX-SEA

presuming it’s a legal intl-to-domestic connection, it would be interesting to know if AS IT actually offers the ~1930 LAX-SEA flight on the prior day as an SDC option
So its not really a standard SDC as its going from one day to the other. AS IME would not by default offer LAX-SEA the previous day. However a phone call might yield positive results. Worth a cal at least, or check at the airport even ^ *(although if arriving after 6 PM IIRC you get to go to TBIT to go thru FIS, and will make the trek to T-6 more annoying if turned down and lengthy)
Old Nov 26, 2019, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
well, it’s been three days and we have not heard whether ZLO-LAX-SEA involved the overnight layover as ticketed
Old Nov 27, 2019, 1:14 am

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by jrl767
well, it’s been three days and we have not heard whether ZLO-LAX-SEA involved the overnight layover as ticketed
so I was supposed to fly that routing late next week but I was able to rebook ZLO-LAX-SEA with a 2hr connection in LAX. price diff was minimal, so it was a no-brainer.

I was really curious how the original flights would pan out!

thanks to all who chimed in!
Old Dec 11, 2019, 8:26 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
Newbie question here. Have a PDX-SEA coming up where I think I'll want to SDC. How does standby work in that context? Do I give up my original seat to go standby or would I still have that original seat held?
Old Dec 11, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by leland
Newbie question here. Have a PDX-SEA coming up where I think I'll want to SDC. How does standby work in that context? Do I give up my original seat to go standby or would I still have that original seat held?
SDC & Standby are two different things. A SDC will allow you to change to a flight with availability and is confirmed when the SDC is processed. A standby is for a flight that is sold out. You will be added to the "awaiting seats" waitlist while still maintaining your original reservation. If they are able to accommodate you on a standby, they process the change and issue you a boarding pass. Only then does your original flight get canceled. You have to have MVPG+ status to be eligible to standby for a flight.

James
Old Dec 11, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
You have to have MVPG+ status to be eligible to standby for a flight.
PDX-SEA (and I believe also SEA-GEG and ANC-FAI) is the exception to this. Anyone can standby on these shuttle routes. Standby priority is sorted by status, though.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 10:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by czpdx
PDX-SEA (and I believe also SEA-GEG and ANC-FAI) is the exception to this. Anyone can standby on these shuttle routes. Standby priority is sorted by status, though.
Yes, you are correct on the three shuttle markets, they are available to all passengers. MVPG+ would of course have a fee waiver.

On other routes, pax on refundable Y, Z fares and F pax on F & D fares are also eligible without status.

The last time I did a standby on SEA-PDX every flight that day was sold out. 5 awaiting seats had cleared. I popped to the top of the list and cleared within 10 minutes.

James
Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
What's the consensus for SDC overnight connection on AS?

Suppose I fly A-B-C with overnight connection at B. Can I do the following without paying any fare difference or change fee as MVP Gold/75K?
  1. At T-24 checkin window for A-B flight, change to A-B-C the same day without overnight connection.
  2. Standby earlier A-B if it is sold out. If successful, at T-24 checkin window for B-C, change B-C from next day to the same day.
  3. Fly original booked A-B and stay overnight at B, but at T-24 checkin window for B-C, change B-C to an earlier flight the next day.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cloudybw
What's the consensus for SDC overnight connection on AS?

Suppose I fly A-B-C with overnight connection at B. Can I do the following without paying any fare difference or change fee as MVP Gold/75K?
  1. At T-24 checkin window for A-B flight, change to A-B-C the same day without overnight connection.
  2. Standby earlier A-B if it is sold out. If successful, at T-24 checkin window for B-C, change B-C from next day to the same day.
  3. Fly original booked A-B and stay overnight at B, but at T-24 checkin window for B-C, change B-C to an earlier flight the next day.
one opinion, therefore **NOT** consensus —
(1) should work; may require a couple HUCAs and some persuading to get the phone agent(s) and/or a supervisor to see the logic of your request
(2) doubtful (although GA who clears you onto A-B may be able to force something)
(3) should work
Old Dec 13, 2019, 9:12 pm

Can you do SDC more than once on the same itinerary?
Old Dec 13, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by pickles1107
Can you do SDC more than once on the same itinerary?
Yes. I’ve had no problem with multiple SDCs on the same res.

Moreover, when the upgraded breaks after a SDC (which is common), SDCing back to the original flight, and again to the intended flight (and waiting 15 min before checking in) has fixed my upgrade woes many times this year.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by jjmadison
Yes. I’ve had no problem with multiple SDCs on the same res.

Moreover, when the upgraded breaks after a SDC (which is common), SDCing back to the original flight, and again to the intended flight (and waiting 15 min before checking in) has fixed my upgrade woes many times this year.
Thank you. I think that also implies that you can still SDC after you have “checked-in” for your flight. Just go through the online check in process again to SDC?
Old Dec 14, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by pickles1107
Thank you. I think that also implies that you can still SDC after you have “checked-in” for your flight. Just go through the online check in process again to SDC?
that’s correct. My experience is that you can SDC right up to boarding, as part of the checkin flow, regardless of whether you checked in previously.

Alaska IT requires check-ins to do certain tasks, such as changing seats when less than T-24, checking the waitlist for the first time less than T-24, and SDCing. It’s confusing to people new to AS (ie. Having to recheck-in implies the first check-in didn’t work).

ETA: just make sure you wait 15 min or more to checkin after SDCing. Checking in sooner often breaks the upgrader.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.