Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Same Day Confirmed Change (SDC)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2020, 1:18 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by dparkinson
Given the light loads and corona concerns, anyone have any luck as an MVPG SDCing from a connection to a nonstop or changing connection city (thinking away from SEA given all the WA cases)
Not virus related specifically, but I was able to do a SDC earlier this year from a nonstop to a flight with a connection. You need to call, but the agents can do that.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I haven't had issues doing a SDC on multi-segment itineraries when the subsequent segments are outside 24 hours. It wouldn't make sense to SDC ORD-SEA to a later time when that departure is after the subsequent segment SEA-GEG. Once the SDC is processed, you won't be able to check-in for the later itinerary until 24 hours before departure. If it is an earlier flight, you can continue with check-in.
A minor update on this - it seems AS IT is a bit inconsistent.

I had a W fare that I purchased with miles because it was close in, so I got the cheapest fare of the day and did an SDC at check-in to the flight I wanted, which was about 12 hours later. At check-in time for the original flight, I did an SDC to the later flight using the web interface. It made the SDC, but then when I went to check in for the new flight, it threw an error and told me to check in at the airport. A few minutes on the phone with a very pleasant agent fixed it. Note that I did get an upgrade for the original flight, but not for the new one, which seemed to have F filled with people on package deals returning from Cabo, based on overheard conversations.

Second flight (separate PNR - I bought two one ways for this trip), I checked in with the app about 2 hours after the check-in time for the original flight, and still about 6 hours early for check-in on the later flight that I wanted. It *did* let me check-in for the later flight and gave me a mobile BP. Oddly, it still shows me as on the PC and F upgrade lists, even though I'm already in a PC seat. We'll see what happens at the regular check-in time when I try to check in again and generate a bag tag.

I think this is my first real attempt at SDC since making MVPG last fall.

ETA: oddly - the purchased fare class was Q, but now when I look after doing the SDC it's showing Y. I had already been upgraded on the original flight, so maybe they promoted me to Y when I took the downgrade to get a later flight?

Last edited by chrisl137; Oct 10, 2020 at 5:46 pm
Old Nov 22, 2020, 7:04 pm

I'm booked on an AA ticket flying HKG-LAX on CX connecting to LAX-SFO on AS. Since this is an AA issued ticket (with an international segment, no less) I know I won't be able to SDC before departure or by calling reservations.

Will I be able to SDC at the AS desk upon arrival at LAX, either at a kiosk or with an agent? Also, I assume I should re-check my bag at AS check-in rather than hand it over to the onward connections dropoff at TBIT, if I want to SDC?
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 7:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SF_trotter
I'm booked on an AA ticket flying HKG-LAX on CX connecting to LAX-SFO on AS. Since this is an AA issued ticket (with an international segment, no less) I know I won't be able to SDC before departure or by calling reservations.

Will I be able to SDC at the AS desk upon arrival at LAX, either at a kiosk or with an agent? Also, I assume I should re-check my bag at AS check-in rather than hand it over to the onward connections dropoff at TBIT, if I want to SDC?
Will your SDC be for an earlier or later flight & what Elite Status do you have, if any? Is this a revenue or an award flight. A SDC can be done online or through the app if there is space available on the flight, if not, depending on Elite Staus or ticket class, you may standby for an ealier/later flight as long as the request is done before your original flight has departed.

As far as luggage goes, if you SDC to an earlier flight, you will want to hold & recheck the luggage (time permitting) or you will arrive in SFO before your luggage. You would need to return to pick it up. For a later flight, your luggage will be in SFO waiting for you, at the baggage office.

James
Old Nov 22, 2020, 7:33 pm

It's an award ticket. I have no status on AS. I wish to SDC to an earlier flight.

From reading the last few posts, it doesn't seem like AS reservations will touch my ticket given that it was issued by AA.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 8:08 pm

It's an award ticket. I have no status on AS. I wish to SDC to an earlier flight.

From reading the last few posts, it doesn't seem like AS reservations will touch my ticket given that it was issued by AA.
AS will take control of the ticket on the day of travel. You can still do a SDC but would not be able to standby if the earlier flight is full. There would be a $25 SDC Fee for a flight totally within the State of California.

Alaska Same Day Change

James
Old Nov 22, 2020, 8:34 pm

Ok, thanks. As long as I can try for SDC upon arrival at LAX I'm happy. I think there's conflicting reports as to whether AS phone agent or app currently allow SDC for non-AS issued tickets. (In my case, there is the added complication that I'm connecting to AS from CX, so seems like t would be hard for AS to take control of the ticket other than at LAX.)
Old Nov 22, 2020, 11:56 pm

Ok, thanks. As long as I can try for SDC upon arrival at LAX I'm happy. I think there's conflicting reports as to whether AS phone agent or app currently allow SDC for non-AS issued tickets. (In my case, there is the added complication that I'm connecting to AS from CX, so seems like t would be hard for AS to take control of the ticket other than at LAX.)
Do you have a Mileage Plan account with AS? If not, register for one and install the AS APP. If you don't have the record locator for the AS segment you can call AA or send them a tweet to obtain it. With the AS record locator you can add the AS segment into the APP. Even if you are already checked in, you can check-in again and during the check-in process there will be an option to change to an earlier/later flight. It will show you only flights that have space to confirm an SDC.

I don't have experience with connecting to AS on an award that wasn't issued by AS but AS will have control of the ticket 24 hours before flight time; when check-in opens.

James
Old Dec 15, 2020, 11:27 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
For a SDC when booked into first (I), does the flight that I want to change to have to have the same fare bucket availability or just any seat available? From reading, I assume there just needs to be a seat in the same cabin available, and with a lot of UGs being held still with the seat blocking, I assume there is a greater chance of being able to switch flights?
Old Dec 15, 2020, 11:43 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by safari ari
For a SDC when booked into first (I), does the flight that I want to change to have to have the same fare bucket availability or just any seat available? From reading, I assume there just needs to be a seat in the same cabin available, and with a lot of UGs being held still with the seat blocking, I assume there is a greater chance of being able to switch flights?
There just needs to be a seat available in the same cabin.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 11:43 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by safari ari
Does not have to be same fare bucket. So an I fare can SDC into a flight with only full F fares available. (or R into full Y, etc)
Old Dec 15, 2020, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Does not have to be same fare bucket. So an I fare can SDC into a flight with only full F fares available. (or R into full Y, etc)
Correct, only seat availability. It is the same in Main. Fare buckets are irrelevant. I have noticed on a SDC in Main that the fare class shows Y but MP credit is still based on the fare class originally purchased. Until seat-blocking is rescinded, I would make sure there is an empty pair of F seats on the flight you want to move to or you might be disappointed. I'd suggest calling in for assistance rather than doing it online or through the app until then.

James
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 2:24 pm

any chance alaska can waive the sdc fee for MVP? (not mvp gold)
Old Mar 8, 2021, 2:28 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by yerffej201
You can call and ask, but it’s not policy.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 2:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by yerffej201
It's been a few years, but I never had any luck with that, even with friendly agents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.