Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Same Day Confirmed Change (SDC)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2021, 1:33 am

Programs: Alaska 75K (RIP VX), Hyatt Globalist, BonVoy Plat, National Exec
With SDC, do I have to keep the same class of service on the new flight?

For example, if I'm in paid F, and want to SDC to an earlier flight that day, but F is full, will they still let me SDC into Y? Or does it have to be same cabin?

Not worried about the downgrade, as it would be a short SFO-SNA jaunt, just wondering what's possible.

Thanks!
Old Jun 5, 2021, 7:54 am

Programs: AS 75k, B6 Mosaic
SDC or standby for second leg of overnight layover?

I have an overnight layover in LAX. I’d love to take an earlier flight i.e. not have to overnight.

Is SDC possible for this second leg (only) of my itin? If not, is standby at least worth a shot (i.e. saunter over to my ideal flight rather than exit?)

Complicating things slightly, leg 1 is an international arrival. Unsure if I can stay airside for the standby opportunity, given boarding pass #2 is ~16h later.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by AndyKehn
If I booked a ticket with BOA companion pass and I'm 75k and my companion has no status, can I still utilize SDC for both of us?
To finish this dp, I was able to change both of us for free (from AUS-SEA to an earlier AUS-LAX-SEA) for no charge. The app only showed the earlier non-stop AUS-SEA at check in so I called in and the agent was able to change both res to AUS-LAX-SEA. We were then instantly upgraded to first on AUS-LAX. LAX-SEA was full in F.
PDXPremier and mixmastermark like this.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 8:57 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by mixmastermark
With SDC, do I have to keep the same class of service on the new flight?

For example, if I'm in paid F, and want to SDC to an earlier flight that day, but F is full, will they still let me SDC into Y? Or does it have to be same cabin?

Not worried about the downgrade, as it would be a short SFO-SNA jaunt, just wondering what's possible.

Thanks!
Yes, you can do that. You will also earn miles based on the new fare class.
mixmastermark likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 10:54 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mikeysf
I have an overnight layover in LAX. I’d love to take an earlier flight i.e. not have to overnight.

Is SDC possible for this second leg (only) of my itin? If not, is standby at least worth a shot (i.e. saunter over to my ideal flight rather than exit?)

Complicating things slightly, leg 1 is an international arrival. Unsure if I can stay airside for the standby opportunity, given boarding pass #2 is ~16h later.
Looks like it'll be two fare components. But you can always call when your first leg starts to check in and see if they would do it for you. And I didn't have past experience, but your stand-by boarding pass, should you have one, can get you through TSA.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by xliioper
There are a number of different fare filings on SEA-LAX which have different routing rules. There are ones that require non-stop travel (these are the cheapest), and there are other ones that allow connections through some other cities, but these are considerably more expensive and I would guess that OP was on a fare that required non-stop routing. Here are the routings allowed for the higher-priced fares: SEA-SEA/RDM/PDX/PAE/GEG/BOI-LAX. The routing rules for a fare can be found on ExpertFlyer (you won't find them on the AS website as they are not in the fare rules themselves). Just because an agent was able to work something out doesn't mean it was an allowed routing for the poster's original fare. The fact that there was an upcharge indicates it wasn't a true SDC and the agent changed from a single fare to a broken fare. From reading AS SDC rules, it doesn't look like routing changes are allowed unless I am missing something.
  • You must keep the same origin, destination, thru, and connection cities. Co-terminal changes are not allowed.
Yes, if you try to do a SDC on the app, you must follow SDC policies about same origin, connection cities, etc....however, multiple flyers (including myself) have been able to change connection cities by requesting SDC through an agent....the general consensus is that as long as it's not too crazy and out of the way, they will allow it if there are seats available. I would still like to book PDX-SEA and see if I can get a SDC that allows a connection--I'm guessing I could possibly get a BOI or GEG, but LAX might be pushing it
anteater likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by mikeysf

Complicating things slightly greatly, leg 1 is an international arrival. Unsure if I can stay airside for the standby opportunity, given boarding pass #2 is ~16h later.
fixed that for you … you will have to clear customs and immigration after arrival at LAX, and in all likelihood TSA will not let you back airside with your next day’s BP

if you can’t solve it by phone/text/chat once your OLCI window opens, I’d recommend speaking with a supervisor at the AS ticket counter (LAX T6) about getting on the same day’s connecting flight
mikeysf likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Yes, if you try to do a SDC on the app, you must follow SDC policies about same origin, connection cities, etc....however, multiple flyers (including myself) have been able to change connection cities by requesting SDC through an agent....the general consensus is that as long as it's not too crazy and out of the way, they will allow it if there are seats available. I would still like to book PDX-SEA and see if I can get a SDC that allows a connection--I'm guessing I could possibly get a BOI or GEG, but LAX might be pushing it
ExpertFlyer shows that the only fares that allow connections on PDX-SEA are full Y/F fares that are $1700+ (they do include California routings like LAX). All other published AS fares on PDX-SEA require non-stop flights according to the routing rules.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by xliioper
ExpertFlyer shows that the only fares that allow connections on PDX-SEA are full Y/F fares that are $1700+ (they do include California routings like LAX). All other published AS fares on PDX-SEA require non-stop flights according to the routing rules.
True...but officially with SDC you can't change connection cities without a re-fare but agents don't seem to be limited by allowable connection cities associated with the purchased fare.
anteater likes this.

Last edited by PDXPremier; Jun 6, 2021 at 9:38 pm
Old Jun 6, 2021, 8:52 pm

When the 100K tier is introduced, I wouldn’t mind if AS began enforcing no co-terminal changes as well routing rules for everyone, or even make it a 75K or even 100K perk.

With travel continuing to rise (full planes, UG lists growing in length), I can see the value in have more flexibility to get where one needs to be if fewer elites were able to add additional legs or change start/end cities.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anteater
When the 100K tier is introduced, I wouldn’t mind if AS began enforcing no co-terminal changes as well routing rules for everyone, or even make it a 75K or even 100K perk.

With travel continuing to rise (full planes, UG lists growing in length), I can see the value in have more flexibility to get where one needs to be if fewer elites were able to add additional legs or change start/end cities.
People who do that aren't all just a bunch of EQM accumulating FTers. It's often a schedule thing, where even being able to leave an hour or two later but take a connection or fly into or out of a coterminal means the difference between finishing the travel work day and getting home vs spending another night away and flying home the next morning. When I was flying UA regularly they had a sliding scale for what they charged for SDC based on status, and they didn't restrict routing or coterminal changes. Part of the appeal of Alaska is that despite a smaller route network they're generally very accommodating with getting you where you need to be when once your ticket is purchased.
NoLaGent and jona970318 like this.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by chrisl137
People who do that aren't all just a bunch of EQM accumulating FTers. It's often a schedule thing, where even being able to leave an hour or two later but take a connection or fly into or out of a coterminal means the difference between finishing the travel work day and getting home vs spending another night away and flying home the next morning. When I was flying UA regularly they had a sliding scale for what they charged for SDC based on status, and they didn't restrict routing or coterminal changes. Part of the appeal of Alaska is that despite a smaller route network they're generally very accommodating with getting you where you need to be when once your ticket is purchased.
This is true, but I believe AS could do something to provide a higher value to their higher tier elites. For example: let 100K's exercise SDC at T-48 hours, restrict co-terminal changes to 100K/75K, let 100K's have a +/-24 SDC window akin to United's SDC (e.g. a 12PM Thursday flight could SDC to the 12PM Wednesday or 12PM Friday flight).

With nearly full flights, it would be nice to see some increased value on the SDC benefit when the 100K tier is introduced.
jona970318 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anteater
This is true, but I believe AS could do something to provide a higher value to their higher tier elites. For example: let 100K's exercise SDC at T-48 hours, restrict co-terminal changes to 100K/75K, let 100K's have a +/-24 SDC window akin to United's SDC (e.g. a 12PM Thursday flight could SDC to the 12PM Wednesday or 12PM Friday flight).

With nearly full flights, it would be nice to see some increased value on the SDC benefit when the 100K tier is introduced.
Flights will start to get less full later this year, and probably up until the holidays, as airlines get their whole networks back up.

Offering SDC at T-48 would be like selling full Y at a discount for some of us - my business travel is rarely booked more than a week out, and often just a few days out. So I could buy whatever the lowest walkup fare for some undesireable departure time, then immediately switch it to the desired time, and could do that with nearly every fare. That would seriously undercut the walkup fare pricing among the people most likely to be paying them.
tobikosan, anteater and Bellerina like this.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 2:50 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
SDC doesn't require fare-class availability, right? (It's basically cabin-to-cabin?) (Sry, there wasn't a wiki for the thread, otherwise I would've canvassed that.)
Old Jun 14, 2021, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
SDC doesn't require fare-class availability, right? (It's basically cabin-to-cabin?) (Sry, there wasn't a wiki for the thread, otherwise I would've canvassed that.)
AFAIK Yes. I’ve gone from I class to other F fares and I class down to Y and other economy cares (after giving consent).
Bellerina likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.