Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Same Day Confirmed Change (SDC)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by yerffej201
Flying DXB-SFO-LAX on an Alaska award EK/AS. Within 24 hrs of the flight and all other criteria met, but support desk says it’s not possible to do SDC on SFO-LAX cuz there’s an intl partner segment. Is that true? trying on app doesn’t work either.
I have certainly done a SDC on an international paid itinerary all on AS. I haven't tried to SDC on an award ticket with a partner airline. That may be the limiting factor.

James in Capetown
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Flying DXB-SFO-LAX on an Alaska award EK/AS. Within 24 hrs of the flight and all other criteria met, but support desk says it’s not possible to do SDC on SFO-LAX cuz there’s an intl partner segment. Is that true? trying on app doesn’t work either.
I've been able to get a segment changed after a partner flight same day by calling, but a) I had status and b) it was to avoid potential irrops (I basically went from DUS-ORD-MCI-SEA, first two AA J/F, last AS F, to DUS-ORD-SEA, first segment AA J, last segment AS Y, because the ORD-MCI flight was late enough to mess with my chances of making the connection).

So I was saving AA/AS from having to do me a solid. It had to go through a supervisor, though... and I had status. So I guess you can play HUCA and see if you get results. SDC is funky when you don't entirely control the ticket (EK owns the ticket for day of flight, before the AS flight).
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:09 pm

I see a cheap flight $200 on a super busy route on a long weekend. but its in the morning at 6am.
there is a $350 flight at 4pm.
I am MVPG.
My question is what's the chance of getting upgraded if i do SDC?
Since its 24hrs, there is a possibility that all upgrades would have mostly cleared right?
Also, there is no fee for SDC for my SO on the same reservation right?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by alaskaforlife
I see a cheap flight $200 on a super busy route on a long weekend. but its in the morning at 6am.
there is a $350 flight at 4pm.
I am MVPG.
My question is what's the chance of getting upgraded if i do SDC?
Since its 24hrs, there is a possibility that all upgrades would have mostly cleared right?
Also, there is no fee for SDC for my SO on the same reservation right?
As long as you're traveling in the same reservation, your companion can also SDC at no charge, yes.. Depending on the number of elites, an upgrade may be possible, but I wouldn't count on it at that close in. If it's an extremely popular route/date, even getting seats (or decent ones together) may be tricky at all. I recently booked an early/cheaper flight I would have missed and ended up paying more to confirm a seat on a later flight when I was noticing many of the afternoon/evening SFO-LAX flights I needed were sold out or close to selling out. If it's a busy route on a popular travel weekend and you truly can't take the 6am flight, I'd be monitoring how many seats are left via ExpertFlyer and if things are getting low, I'd pay more and confirm my seats on the more expensive one sooner than later.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Due to baggage matching policies and initial baggage labels coming from International carrier indicating original flights, I would speculate IT has it set to preventing you from changing flights. If you hadn't checked any bags, it might be possible.

Jiburi
Old Oct 19, 2019, 9:57 pm

Programs: Continental
Same day change

As a mvp gold 75, is it possible to do a free sdc to a different flight?
Old Oct 19, 2019, 10:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Yes, free SDC is available for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75K members.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 10:08 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Yes, absolutely.

See

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...flight-changes

and

Same Day Confirmed Change (SDC)
Old Oct 19, 2019, 10:43 pm

Programs: Continental
Thanks

Thanks
Old Oct 20, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
You can do it at check in on the phone app as well. It asks if you want to switch to an earlier or later flight.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Xrayman
You can do it at check in on the phone app as well. It asks if you want to switch to an earlier or later flight.
background(knowing full well that the published SDC rule states “no routing changes allowed”) — a month or so ago I had IAD-LAX-SEA departing 415pm; called ~230pm, said it was doubtful that I would get to the airport in time, and he put me on the 7pm nonstop without any issue at all

hypothetical — original booking is IAD-LAX-PDX (depart 415pm arrive 1050pm) ... if you select “change to a later flight” would the app automatically offer IAD-SEA-PDX (depart 7pm arrive 1205am)?
Old Oct 20, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Departure to arrival airport is the requirement lock not the route. IAD to SEA is the lock in

SEA can not be changed for PAE (Paine field in Everett )
Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:05 am

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
Speaking of SDC, if I used my miles (I am G75K) to buy a ticket PDX to SEA (a shuttle route) for my wife, who has no statis, will she get charged the $25 SDC fee if she tries to SDC to a later flight?

Thanks!
Old Oct 21, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: AKAir 75K, BestWestern PE
Generally speaking, that has been my experience, they charge for anyone that does not have MVP Gold. When you have a companion with you on the same reservation I have gotten away without a change fee on SDC (but we were in paid F). You might get lucky if you call the MVP reservation line and get lucky and they waive it. I don't know about shuttle flights but my change fees are generally $125.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
It should be waived when using your miles, although she may need to call in.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ons/faq-status

As an MVP™ Gold, my change fees are waived. What about for my family?

While anyone traveling with you in the same reservation will have their luggage fees waived, the change fee will apply to all passengers other than the MVP Gold. The exception is if your fellow passengers are booked on an award ticket using your miles; in that case, change fees are waived.
Additionally, on Shuttle routes, she can do a free standby, which may be useful if the change can't be confirmed.

And, if you haven't used your election for someone else, you can gift MVP status as part of your Gold 75K benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.