Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Same Day Confirmed Change (SDC)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Lol. I've given up using the app for SDC, after it failed partway through on multiple different trips and left my reservations in limbo requiring airport agent intervention.

Never had that problem when I've called.
DrAlex likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Not surprisingly, Version 4.1.30 hit the App Store shortly after 4.1.29
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75; Bonvoy, National Exec, United Silver
Has anyone had recent luck calling the res line to get a SDC that included a routing change? I’m currently booked BZN>PDX and want to get in earlier by going BZN>SEA>PDX. I know it isn’t technically allowed anymore but am curious if anyone has reached a helpful CSA who was able to make it happen
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by PDX4MSU
Has anyone had recent luck calling the res line to get a SDC that included a routing change? I’m currently booked BZN>PDX and want to get in earlier by going BZN>SEA>PDX. I know it isn’t technically allowed anymore but am curious if anyone has reached a helpful CSA who was able to make it happen
fyi. Success!
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 9:14 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by PDX4MSU

fyi. Success!
Was this by calling in or done during checkin via app or online?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I've got an upcoming SEA-SJC-DAL, but would rather go with a later SEA-SFO-DAL, and I'm just NOT a morning person
PDXPremier likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I have NEVER seen coterminals or alternate connections offers in the app. The rules are routing stays identical. I am betting a human being will break rules more often than a machine.

Also, having bupkiss for AS status is likely to not help when asking for a favor that breaks SDC rules... but you never know.

(My experiences with breaking SDC rules are you need to call. In my case it was avoiding a potential misconnect/overnight in MCI going to a nonstop off a partner award. I paid $25 for an SDC as an MVP at the time.)
ANC RED-EYE likes this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jun 22, 2018 at 2:43 pm
Old Jun 22, 2018, 1:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I have NEVER seen coterminals or alternate connections offers in the app. The rules are routing stays identical. I am betting a human being will break rules more often than a machine.

Also, having bupkiss for AS stattus is likely to not help when asking for a favor that breaks SDC rules... but you never know.

(My experiences with breaking SDC rules are you need to call. In my case it was avoiding a potential misconnect/overnight in MCI going to a nonstop off a partner award. I paid $25 for an SDC as an MVP at the time.)
Agree to both counts. Agents (by phone and in person) can have more flexibility. Being MVPG75K can help too ^

Is there not a nonstop SEA-DAL flight that would work? I think this would be a bigger chance of success (I know, less miles).
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Was this by calling in or done during checkin via app or online?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I've got an upcoming SEA-SJC-DAL, but would rather go with a later SEA-SFO-DAL, and I'm just NOT a morning person
Sorry for the delayed response. I called in.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: AS
I'm wanting to do a SDC for Thursday from an early AM flight to a not so early AM flight (I realize my 2 year old doesn't do well on flights at 4am). All the economy seats seem to be x'd out on the flight I am looking at. Can I still do the SDC for $50/ea and it will still get me into economy, or do I need to pay an additional charge to get into either a premium seat or first class seat in order to get on that later flight?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:23 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by kyden
I'm wanting to do a SDC for Thursday from an early AM flight to a not so early AM flight (I realize my 2 year old doesn't do well on flights at 4am). All the economy seats seem to be x'd out on the flight I am looking at. Can I still do the SDC for $50/ea and it will still get me into economy, or do I need to pay an additional charge to get into either a premium seat or first class seat in order to get on that later flight?
Premium Class is just a better seat not a seperate cabin, despite the name. If there are seats available in the Economy fare classes, you can SDC. If there are no Main Cabin seats, you'll be seated in Premium Class at no charge (same would happen if you didn't have an assigned seat at check-in and no Main Cabin seats were open). Is Alaska still selling Economy seats on the flight you want to SDC to? Can do a dummy booking for two passengers to see.

You can't SDC directly from Economy to First on another flight without upfaring.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel

Premium Class is just a better seat not a seperate cabin, despite the name. If there are seats available in the Economy fare classes, you can SDC. If there are no Main Cabin seats, you'll be seated in Premium Class at no charge (same would happen if you didn't have an assigned seat at check-in and no Main Cabin seats were open). Is Alaska still selling Economy seats on the flight you want to SDC to? Can do a dummy booking for two passengers to see.

You can't SDC directly from Economy to First on another flight without upfaring.
I have been dummy booking a few choices just to check. Economy shows 2 separate economy seats available, about 9 premium seats, and then about 25 refundable/elite status seats (I don't have status). Those will likely be filled around the t-24hr mark I am guessing, so that means the main cabin should open up around that time? Just trying to plan when I can jump on booking the SDC. It's within 24 hours of the flight that I am wanting (not the one I am booked for) in which I can change, is that right?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by kyden
It's within 24 hours of the flight that I am wanting (not the one I am booked for) in which I can change, is that right?
I think it has changed to 24 hours from the flight you are booked for now, but not positive. The SDC page says you can do it anytime during check in.

"You may request a same day confirmed flight change any time during the check-in window for your flight."
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by tatterdema
I think it has changed to 24 hours from the flight you are booked for now, but not positive. The SDC page says you can do it anytime during check in.

"You may request a same day confirmed flight change any time during the check-in window for your flight."
That is better for me since I can do it earlier, but when I had spoken to AS reservations earlier today, they said the opposite, that it was from the time of the flight I was wishing to change to. I guess I will find out on Wednesday!
Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I have booked an international flight on United that is scheduled to arrive at SFO at 9:45 a.m.

I want to connect from SFO to LAS on an Alaska flight.

I have the option to buy an Alaska flight for $65 that departs SFO at 11:50 a.m. That's just a 2 hour, five minute international to domestic connection, on separate tickets, with a checked bag.

Or I can buy an Alaska flight for $113 that departs at 1:40 p.m. A four hour connection, which may be much longer than I need.

My question is this: Is it better to buy the earlier flight and then try to SDC to the later flight if it is looking like I won't make the 11:50 a.m. flight? Or is it better to buy the later flight and then try to SDC to the earlier flight if it looks like I might be able to make it? What would the cutoff time be for making the SDC in each situation?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jphripjah
I have booked an international flight on United that is scheduled to arrive at SFO at 9:45 a.m.

I want to connect from SFO to LAS on an Alaska flight.

I have the option to buy an Alaska flight for $65 that departs SFO at 11:50 a.m. That's just a 2 hour, five minute international to domestic connection, on separate tickets, with a checked bag.

Or I can buy an Alaska flight for $113 that departs at 1:40 p.m. A four hour connection, which may be much longer than I need.

My question is this: Is it better to buy the earlier flight and then try to SDC to the later flight if it is looking like I won't make the 11:50 a.m. flight? Or is it better to buy the later flight and then try to SDC to the earlier flight if it looks like I might be able to make it? What would the cutoff time be for making the SDC in each situation?
your profile doesn’t indicate AS status, so SDC will cost you $50 ... which means you would be paying MORE (albeit only $2) than the price of a seat on the later flight to begin with

I obviously can’t speak to how much value you put on your time, but I generally book for lowest risk of disruption

I’ve been able to SDC at LAX as late as ~T-40 minutes ... but with no line at the MVPG/FC check-in counter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.