PDX - Priority Pass lounges and restaurants

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PDX - Priority Pass lounges and restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2020, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Just did Capers recently and things have changed.
1. Strict check in BP
2. They ask you if you have used your pass today, and if the answer is yes, they won't honor it.
3. they no longer allow a bottle of wine purchase, Just one glass per person upto the $28.
4. They will not let you "stock up" on items- you can only purchase one item per order so no two bags of chips for take away, one sandwich, one chips, one drink, one dessert.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 7:42 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by tfizzle
1. Strict check in BP
2. They ask you if you have used your pass today, and if the answer is yes, they won't honor it.
3. they no longer allow a bottle of wine purchase, Just one glass per person upto the $28.
4. They will not let you "stock up" on items- you can only purchase one item per order so no two bags of chips for take away, one sandwich, one chips, one drink, one dessert.
#2 is dumb becaue it's between me and Priority Pass if my passes are good, so it's a good warning to say 'no' even if you have been to the whiskey distillery
#3 only one glass per person seems stupid too.
#4 makes no little sense to me, but I'm guessing they get paid $26 whether you spend $12 or $30. Oh well, I guess I don't miss this perk with Amex after all.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
#4 makes no little sense to me, but I'm guessing they get paid $26 whether you spend $12 or $30.
I don't think so. My guess is that Priority Pass is being more restrictive about the benefit. I think the spirit of the benefit is to pay for a meal. Think about it--when Capers was first added as a Priority Pass benefit, both locations were part of the program. But rather than using it to pay for a meal, many people (myself included) were using it to buy all sorts of packaged food items at Capers Market. Some called it their "grocery shopping". I imagine some were like me, carefully calculating their purchases to max out the benefit. And this was encouraged by the Capers employees. And then Capers Market was removed from the program.

Capers Cafe didn't have as many prepackaged items, but the employees still encouraged you to spend more "because you get it free", at least if my experience was any indication. One time I wasn't hungry at all, but grabbed a couple bottles of water and a couple bottles of juice because "someone else" was paying. The employee strongly hinted that I ought to get more items (could have gotten up to $56 worth since there were two of us), but that was all I wanted.

It wouldn't surprise me if people figured out ways to max out the benefit there, too--costing Priority Pass more money than they'd expected. And so, rather than eliminate the benefit entirely, they've warned the restaurant to basically keep it to a meal and not allow stocking up on other items to go. Capers doesn't want to lose the business, so they cooperate.

I have no proof of this, but that's my theory. I'd be interested in the real truth if anyone finds out what it is.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 9:15 pm

For along time, folks would talk about the "triple play." Capers Market, Capers Cafe (on two different sides of the airport) and then either the Alaska Lounge which is never open or the Whiskey tasting. I did hear about "grocery" shopping. Admittedly, I would go to Capers Market and buy a few "Oregon" gifts if I someone was hosting me. The system was abused unfortunately and they cut back-rightly so.

Interestingly, they are building a brand new wing extension on the opposite side of the airport (where United currently resides E gates). Alaska has outgrown the A,B, C side and when it is done will take all their flights to the opposite, likely much to the chagrin of the current Alaska flyers that like the current convenience. Most folks won't want to do the 5 minute walk each way just for the PPass.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 9:36 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
1. Strict check in BP
I've done Capers four times in the past two weeks.

1. They did not check my boarding pass
2. They did not ask me if I had used my pass previously that day
4. Yes. I usually eat the Farmer's Breakfast and take three blueberry muffins or lemon bars to go. No longer allowed.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 9:58 am

Thanks for the confirmation.
Checking boarding passes has always been hit and miss at this place.
But alas, no more extra free lunch.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list
But alas, no more extra free lunch.
Hmm? All meals are still free. But no extras to go. I'm glad they are clamping down. Maybe they'll stay with the PP program for a long time.
symbols likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 8:23 am

Yes you can still get a meal, food, snack, dessert beverage for 1, but you can't go shopping anymore. So if you are at $23 they won't really let you grab 2 more bags of chips in the check out line to get you to $28.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list
Yes you can still get a meal, food, snack, dessert beverage for 1.....
I've always been able to get meals for 2 of us. Has that changed???
Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by philemer
I've always been able to get meals for 2 of us. Has that changed???
Yes if there are 2 traveling, you get upto $56 for two, but you can't order two desserts each, just one. One sandwich/drink/snack/dessert per person, if you try to get three desserts for two people (two to eat and one to take away) they will tell you no even if you are under the $56 limit for 2 (2 x $28).

Haven't tried the new alcohol policy as last check in was at 5;30am, just a wee bit early.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 8:29 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
I was able to take a banana, bag of chips and muffin to go. They said I just couldn't take multiple of the same item to go.
mia and symbols like this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 6:54 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by philemer
Hmm? All meals are still free. But no extras to go. I'm glad they are clamping down. Maybe they'll stay with the PP program for a long time.
I am puzzled by why you think spending the entire $28/pp (by means of extras to go) would affect their participation in PP?
Old Feb 17, 2020, 10:25 am
Mul

Can PP be used on arrival at Capers Cafe?
Old Feb 19, 2020, 1:14 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Yes. I do it often. You just need a same day boarding pass.
​​​​
Old Feb 23, 2020, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
1. They did not check my boarding pass
2. They did not ask me if I had used my pass previously that day
I think I've been there three times since the first of the year. Only the last time (president's day monday) did they check my BP. They've never asked if I've already used it that day. I think the first of the three they said I couldn't get multiples of to go items, but could get to go things in addition to the sit down meal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.