Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New credit card earn rates

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2023, 9:39 pm

Programs: Air NZ *G,
Does anyone know if this includes Star Alliance flights that earn airpoints or will it only work on NZ flights.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 9:51 pm

Programs: Airpoints
Originally Posted by Mikeynz
Does anyone know if this includes Star Alliance flights that earn airpoints or will it only work on NZ flights.
I don't know for sure, but the app suggests that it does. I have an LX booking, the app is showing the return flights to New Zealand, one flight on LX and one on NZ and under "potential trip earnings" there it shows a bonus SP for the LX flight. The flights are not until May so someone who flies earlier will be able to report.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 10:28 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints - Gold Elite, Velocity - Platinum, Qantas - Gold
Bonus status points not counting towards tally?

Not sure if anyone else is having any issues with this, but this morning flying DUD-CHC, I earned 20 Status Points with a bonus 10 Status Points, however my counter for “points needed for a banked year” has only gone down by 20 points. Same with a flight earlier in the week, the ANZ bonus status points aren’t counting towards my banked year. Anyone else struck this?
Old Feb 23, 2023, 11:10 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by smeags_nz
Not sure if anyone else is having any issues with this, but this morning flying DUD-CHC, I earned 20 Status Points with a bonus 10 Status Points, however my counter for “points needed for a banked year” has only gone down by 20 points. Same with a flight earlier in the week, the ANZ bonus status points aren’t counting towards my banked year. Anyone else struck this?
I spoke with the ANZ regarding this "bonus SP" as I was going to switch my "conventional airpoints card" (Westpac) that earn on $$$ spend to a flight bonus .
They said it replaces the 1 SP per $225 (I think) so I assume the bonus is credit card SP. NOT the flight SP.

Any other person had any experience with the bonus ?
Old Feb 23, 2023, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
This is just such a shambles…..
Old Feb 24, 2023, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
The fact the T&C are so vague and ANZ are still telling people that you only earn the points when you book with the card it's hardly surprising there is confusion.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 2:11 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Originally Posted by smeags_nz
Have you already used up your non-metal SP? Credit card SP doesn't count towards metal requirements.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 3:46 am

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints - Gold Elite, Velocity - Platinum, Qantas - Gold
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
Have you already used up your non-metal SP? Credit card SP doesn't count towards metal requirements.
Ah yes, of course, hadn't thought about the fact that it would count as credit card points, that makes sense now.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 1:16 pm

Sooo where did we all land on this - does the 50% bonus count as metal or credit card status points? I got lost in the above sorry 🤪 or are we still yet to find out for sure
Old Feb 26, 2023, 1:47 pm

We literally just had that discussion right above this post haha. It's non metal, just like any other cc earn.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 1:49 pm

We literally just had that discussion right above this post haha. It's non metal, just like any other cc earn.
Ok thanks! ✌️
Old Mar 3, 2023, 5:59 pm

Programs: Air NZ *E
It makes no sense for it to be a static bonus from ANZs perspective. Why would they want to pay money to Air NZ each time a customer books with a different card? Because as far as I was aware, that's how these deals work. The CC holders pay a fee to Air NZ to cover the costs of APD/SP
Confirmed re: ANZ plat holders getting 50% SP bonus across the board, irrespective of card used for payment - have started seeing these extra SP coming in. Suspect this equals a win post-earning changes for those flying a reasonable amount for work.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 8:13 pm

Well I am glad to be proven wrong then, but given that support staff have said on the phone that they think it is only supposed to be for purchases made with the card, I am remaining skeptical that it will be changed and that this is currently a mistake. But if in six months time it is still like this then I will be very happy to be proven wrong. I would absolutely take a 50% SP bonus for the sake of a small credit card fee
Old Mar 3, 2023, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Yip it's no mistake I had this confirmed via multiple sources (Air NZ and ANZ) when I posted this a lot earlier on despite some people being told by ANZ it was for flights purchased with the card only.

​​​​​​As I've been saying for a long time though I just don't see how this can last and how they'll be able to backtrack on this change.

It's hard to put an exact number on it so early on in the year but based on some of the travel I've got booked already and my typical travel (which was ~70-80 Air NZ flights per year pre Covid and has the potential to be up there again this year) the extra SP I'll earn this year vs earn from card spend alone in previous years is truly crazy.

Some people who fly regularly could easily be seeing 500 SP per year just from holding the card. That's a pretty unbeatable deal for $150!
Old Mar 3, 2023, 9:03 pm

Programs: Air NZ *E
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Some people who fly regularly could easily be seeing 500 SP per year just from holding the card. That's a pretty unbeatable deal for $150!
Yup, 2x mid-fare PE returns to the US plus a bit of other earn would retain Elite. Good deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.