New credit card earn rates

Old Jan 25, 2023, 7:27 pm

need to calculate where you break even with the annual fee and when you start getting diminished returns if you do decide to double dip
Old Jan 26, 2023, 8:33 pm

About the get ANZ Airpoints Visa platinum (phone interview next weekend), and already booked quite a few trips. I wonder if they give a 50% boost for existing tickets and 2 lounges to new customers.

Also, I have Airpoints Dollars Advance from Amex, will they increase my Airpoints Dollar Advance limit for ANZ CC?
Old Jan 26, 2023, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by kapchi_nz
About the get ANZ Airpoints Visa platinum (phone interview next weekend), and already booked quite a few trips. I wonder if they give a 50% boost for existing tickets and 2 lounges to new customers.

Also, I have Airpoints Dollars Advance from Amex, will they increase my Airpoints Dollar Advance limit for ANZ CC?
No Advanced limit is just the greatest of all cards.

Advance is basically and over draft not more points.

The phone interview will be a good time to ask that question. As the T&Cs seem to say yes but seems dumb
Old Jan 26, 2023, 10:06 pm

Programs: Airpoints, Qantas, KrisFlyer, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
I am 100% positive and would bet that its only for purchases made through the card. Simply getting SP for owning it makes no sense.

It wouldn't be double dipping because that would be an entirely different type of SP earn: a static benefit that your account just has, rather than an award per dollar spent. But it won't be that, it will be on purchases made with the card.

Honestly, its enough to make me take a second glance and I will calculate whether its worth it to sign up for one now. That's a really amazing SP bonus per dollar spent. That's way more SP per dollar spent than the basic 1 SP = $200/250 etc.

The main thing for me will be calculating whether the CC SP I earn will match my metal SP. There is no point in paying an extra cc fee, if the bonus SP will go to waste because I can't meet the metal requirement.
Yes, I'm doing the same sums. It makes more sense for my partner rolling off gold than it does for me with elite banked years and the high metal requirement for elite requalification. I assign the SP/APD earn to me on our World card, but having her as primary card holder on an ANZ Pt would probably get her over the line with her flying [plus the bonus SP from ANZ]. So, I'm not jumping in yet [and I dislike ANZ for many reasons], as if indeed this is an arrangement ANZ struck with air New Zealand to justify clients paying for a "platinum level" card with the lower earn rates, then Westpac etc will likely follow. Bit of a back to the future moment tbh with flight SP getting back to where they were, but of course not all metal so not as useful.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 10:57 pm

How would the ANZ bonus work for a family doing a booking? Will the card holder only get the bonus?
Old Jan 27, 2023, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by brend
How would the ANZ bonus work for a family doing a booking? Will the card holder only get the bonus?
I would expect only the cardholder to earn the SP bonus.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by nzkarit
Saw the ANZ email to card holders today.

Says nothing about flight having to be booked with ANZ card.

Will be interesting to see if people get the double dip for flights on 21st, not paid for on ANZ card.
Have others had emails as well? Both my wife and I are long time ANZ Platinum card holders and have not heard anything from ANZ about this. We are NZ based and NZ cards.

Is the understanding that any credit card spend before 20 Feb will earn SP at the "old" rate of 1SP/$250 spend? Is this going to be impacted by statement timings or anything. If that is true then we may bring forward some spend in order to maximise earn.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by ukflyer1
Have others had emails as well? Both my wife and I are long time ANZ Platinum card holders and have not heard anything from ANZ about this. We are NZ based and NZ cards.

Is the understanding that any credit card spend before 20 Feb will earn SP at the "old" rate of 1SP/$250 spend? Is this going to be impacted by statement timings or anything. If that is true then we may bring forward some spend in order to maximise earn.
Yes, I received mine a few days ago. I think they usually do it in batches, but would expect it wouldn't take more than a week to get it all done.
Yeap, you'll receive all previous rates up until the 20th, and won't be aligned to statement period (i.e. if your statement period is usually around the 5th to the 4th, then you'll get about two weeks of the previous benefits until the 20th, then it'll stop and switch for the second half).
ukflyer1 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 6:25 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
New status point deal for Anz airpoints platinum would be handy for people who book their own work flights and get reimbursed. We generally put work flights on amex for the points but if we were running short in SP to qualify for another elite year could start switching and paying for the flights on air nz platinum visa instead.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Ellice
New status point deal for Anz airpoints platinum would be handy for people who book their own work flights and get reimbursed. We generally put work flights on amex for the points but if we were running short in SP to qualify for another elite year could start switching and paying for the flights on air nz platinum visa instead.
Why would you switch to putting the flights on the ANZ Platinum card? It makes zero difference how flights are booked and paid for.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Why would you switch to putting the flights on the ANZ Platinum card? It makes zero difference how flights are booked and paid for.
If anything you should be booking not using the ANZ card, else how else are you going to double dip on the SP?

(Until the T&Cs change to say that only flights booked and paid in full with ANZ card are eligible)
Old Jan 28, 2023, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by nzkarit
If anything you should be booking not using the ANZ card, else how else are you going to double dip on the SP?

(Until the T&Cs change to say that only flights booked and paid in full with ANZ card are eligible)
The more I think about this change and the more I chat to people I really just don't understand how this change makes sense and how long it will last before they need to make further changes.

I can totally see what Air NZ want to do and the move in itself makes a lot of sense but a 50% bonus is just nuts. There are gonna be people raking in hundreds more SP per year from credit cards than they did under the current offering. Air NZ may not care because these are going to be loyal frequent flyers but presumably ANZ is going to be funding this and numbers for them could just blow out like crazy.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 5:53 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Everyone here is so confident that simply owning an ANZ credit card will entitle you to 50% SP whether you book with it or not. I can see no information regarding that requirement has been released, but the full T&C are not live yet, just vague wording. It will be interesting to see if everyone turns out to be right. If so, I will be surprised, although happy surprised at that generosity.

Originally Posted by sbiddle
The more I think about this change and the more I chat to people I really just don't understand how this change makes sense and how long it will last before they need to make further changes. I can totally see what Air NZ want to do and the move in itself makes a lot of sense but a 50% bonus is just nuts. There are gonna be people raking in hundreds more SP per year from credit cards than they did under the current offering. Air NZ may not care because these are going to be loyal frequent flyers but presumably ANZ is going to be funding this and numbers for them could just blow out like crazy.
It will push up numbers I think but it will mostly push them up in Gold/Silver. The metal requirement for Elite is so high that a 50% SP boost will still not be enough for most people. Most people fly domestically and it takes an insane amount of flying to hit Gold already. And if you add 50% on top of gold, that's still not getting you to Elite.
Ellice likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 6:31 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
Agreed kiwiff. I posted that comment assuming that only flights booked on the anz airpoints plat card would be eligible for the 50%bonus SC. It’s clearly not going to be offered across the board regardless of which card you book the flights on.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
T&C very clear that a Personal Plat card cannot be used for business purposes, although no idea how that could be enforced:

6.2 Except for ANZ Visa Business Airpoints, to earn Airpoints DollarsTM, the Card account must be used wholly and exclusively for your private and domestic expenditure. Where ANZ has reason to believe that the expenditure is of a business nature, these transactions will not earn Airpoints Dollars.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.