New credit card earn rates

Old Feb 19, 2023, 11:38 am

Programs: BD DC, BA EC, AAdvantage, Hhonors and now NZ Aipoints
Originally Posted by kapchi_nz
Well, just had a phone interview, and I was told (but very uncertain tone) that a 50% boost SP is only for tickets purchased with ANZ Airpoints Platinum. Again, they did not specify where I can find this information in T&Cs.

I have quite a few trips already purchased so the boost would be really helpful, about to become Gold for the first time
Can confirm, ANZ cardholder but flight booked on corporate. 50% bonus status points have been added immediately post this mornings flight to Wellington.

Makes for a harder decision now as to whether to cancel. Could be worth holding both ANZ AND Amex for some, could mean the difference between silver and gold for me 😳
Old Feb 19, 2023, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Now that we have this confirmed in the real world we should move the discussion on.. How long can this possibly last before the T&C are changed when ANZ and Air NZ finally realise the implications of this new change?
SpudGun likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Now that we have this confirmed in the real world we should move the discussion on.. How long can this possibly last before the T&C are changed when ANZ and Air NZ finally realise the implications of this new change?
Hopefully after August, as think it would be super handy as back of the envelope think would mean get a banked year.

One would hope they did the maths first, as this isn't exactly an obscure corner case. Or is this a big bait and switch? Get everyone signed up then change the T&Cs?
Old Feb 19, 2023, 2:37 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
It makes no sense for it to be a static bonus from ANZs perspective. Why would they want to pay money to Air NZ each time a customer books with a different card? Because as far as I was aware, that's how these deals work. The CC holders pay a fee to Air NZ to cover the costs of APD/SP
Old Feb 19, 2023, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
It makes no sense for it to be a static bonus from ANZs perspective. Why would they want to pay money to Air NZ each time a customer books with a different card? Because as far as I was aware, that's how these deals work. The CC holders pay a fee to Air NZ to cover the costs of APD/SP
May be ANZ looked at the math and thought it would be cheaper? May be only have to really pay if it means a customer changes status because of it? Could be interesting if only pay based on the percentage of ANZ SPs to gain or retain status as that could possibly make the numbers work. Assuming currently pay for the SP regardless.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by nzkarit
May be ANZ looked at the math and thought it would be cheaper? May be only have to really pay if it means a customer changes status because of it? Could be interesting if only pay based on the percentage of ANZ SPs to gain or retain status as that could possibly make the numbers work. Assuming currently pay for the SP regardless.
Yes, itd be interesting to know the savings made as a result of eliminating SP earn on transactions - obviously hits high churn card users the most. But even they still needed to meet the metal requirements.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 4:48 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
Perhaps same reason why co-branded hotel cards give customers 10-30 Elite nights a year to give cardholders a head start.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Perhaps same reason why co-branded hotel cards give customers 10-30 Elite nights a year to give cardholders a head start.
But this is the ANZ card. The cobranded card is from Kiwibank.

Suspect going to cost ANZ more than $150 per year. As in current set up it makes sense to never use the ANZ card and use the Kiwibank card. As that way get SP for spend from Kiwibank on all purchases (including flights) and then by just having ANZ get a bonus 50% on flights.

The way it is currently set up, it seems the best use of the ANZ card is to have it and never actually use it.
kiwifrequentflyer likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 7:00 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by nzkarit
But this is the ANZ card. The cobranded card is from Kiwibank.

Suspect going to cost ANZ more than $150 per year. As in current set up it makes sense to never use the ANZ card and use the Kiwibank card. As that way get SP for spend from Kiwibank on all purchases (including flights) and then by just having ANZ get a bonus 50% on flights.

The way it is currently set up, it seems the best use of the ANZ card is to have it and never actually use it.
I just assumed changes would be coming to other cards including Kiwibank as well otherwise it absolutely makes no sense.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
I just assumed changes would be coming to other cards including Kiwibank as well otherwise it absolutely makes no sense.
Kiwibank and others made their changes at the end of last year. Think ANZ is the last to make changes in this round of changes, from changes due to the merchant fee caps.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 1:24 am

This doesnt seem to be set up correctly at all

Im currently travelling WLG-AKL-SIN-SYD-WLG on an SQ ticket (not booked on my ANZ card). The NZ app shows the 50% bonus on the SQ metal (AKL-SIN-SYD) but theres no bonus on the NZ metal?

EDIT: Im running a similar itinerary on an NZ ticket in April which shows all the bonuses (regardless of metal) so I think someone reversed the eligibility for the SQ tickets.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 2:57 am

In this brave "new world" is the current optimum way to earn SP to have a Kiwibank card for SP earn at $200/SP on spend, and an ANZ card to get 50% SP on flights? Paying two sets of credit card fees to enable the previous.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by ukflyer1
In this brave "new world" is the current optimum way to earn SP to have a Kiwibank card for SP earn at $200/SP on spend, and an ANZ card to get 50% SP on flights? Paying two sets of credit card fees to enable the previous.
The $200/SP on Kiwibank is unchanged. So it is $150 more to get a 50% bonus on flights (compared with 0 previously).

If you think you can $150 of value out it.

E.g. old world (Just Kiwibank).
810 on flights, 540 on card. So $108000

Pay $150 more to get a ANZ as well.
810 on flights, 405 boost. 135 on card. So $27000. So for $150 more only need to spend 25% as much previously.

Banked Year
1400 on flights, 700 boost. 300 on card. So $60000.
Beano likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by ukflyer1
I guess it depends what value you place on the 50% bonus SP. For an Elite who has to get a minimum of 810 on NZ metal that means you can get 405 SP for $150 which everybody would agree is an absolute bargain.

It's this simple fact alone that really has be scratching my head as to how this new offer ever got off the ground because it is so good that I'd be scratching my head as to why any Gold or Elite member wouldn't be rushing out to get an ANZ Platinum card. I really do wonder how they're going to be able to back pedal on this once the generosity of this offer is finally realised. With the bonus SP earn now showing in the myairnz portal I don't see how they could ever reverse this for existing forward bookings.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Probably quite a while. I still have Westpac, and other banks, cards showing as active in the NZ portal, despite being closed for several years now. The only one that actually dropped off when I closed it is Kiwibank.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.