Wiki Posts
Search

New credit card earn rates

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2023, 1:10 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SpudGun
I wonder if the requirement is that the card had to be live on the account when the flights were booked. That feels like a lot of sophistication though.

I booked a flight on my AMEX. No bonus Status Points are showing.

I'll book my next flight with my ANZ Card and see what happens.

Last edited by WLG Base; Mar 18, 2023 at 1:31 pm Reason: Include screenshot.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by WLG Base
I booked a flight on my AMEX. No bonus Status Points are showing.

I'll book my next flight with my ANZ Card and see what happens.

Perhaps book a FlexiRefund with your ANZ card, and see what that shows. Screenshot.

Then cancel. That might reveal if there is some deep problem.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 2:34 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold

No Bonus Status Points when booking with ANZ Card.

The Card is loaded against my Airpoints Account.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 3:01 pm

Would be interesting to know timelines and if just batch delays. We all know banks love batching stuff.

My bonus SP have worked.

Have had an ANZ card from ages back.

Would be interested to know if the people who are not having it show up are new card holders or old card holders.

E.g. Have had ANZ earn post before booking flight

Booked flight before getting ANZ and no ANZ earn before flight.

Booked flight before getting ANZ but ANZ earn before flight.

Booked flight after getting ANZ but hadn't had earn from ANZ yet.

And if it is looking at potential earn or actual earn when flight happened. Potential earn is an estimate, guess only take an issue if not happening when flight actually happens.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by nzkarit
Would be interesting to know timelines and if just batch delays. We all know banks love batching stuff.

My bonus SP have worked.

Have had an ANZ card from ages back.

Would be interested to know if the people who are not having it show up are new card holders or old card holders.

E.g. Have had ANZ earn post before booking flight

Booked flight before getting ANZ and no ANZ earn before flight.

Booked flight before getting ANZ but ANZ earn before flight.

Booked flight after getting ANZ but hadn't had earn from ANZ yet.

And if it is looking at potential earn or actual earn when flight happened. Potential earn is an estimate, guess only take an issue if not happening when flight actually happens.
booked flights with Amex in December.
got ANZ platinum in February.
had my flight 2 days ago.
no extra SP after the flight.
also no potential bonus SP showing for flights booked after received ANZ but booked with flight credits.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by kapchi
booked flights with Amex in December.
got ANZ platinum in February.
had my flight 2 days ago.
no extra SP after the flight.
also no potential bonus SP showing for flights booked after received ANZ but booked with flight credits.
Have you received any ANZ APD earn yet? Just wondering if you need some ANZ earn to tick all the cogs over?
Old Mar 18, 2023, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I sense that this ANZ situation will suffer a big shake-up soon - too many inconsistencies.

It'll be interesting how the transition to what they actually intended (use ANZ to buy flights?) is managed. Could be quite messy...

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Mar 19, 2023 at 12:28 pm
Old Mar 19, 2023, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by nzkarit
Have you received any ANZ APD earn yet? Just wondering if you need some ANZ earn to tick all the cogs over?
No, I haven’t received any ANZ APD yet, my closing period should be in a couple of day.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by kapchi
No, I haven’t received any ANZ APD yet, my closing period should be in a couple of day.
Cool, will be interesting to see if that kicks some cogs over or not
Old Mar 30, 2023, 7:42 pm

Applied and approved for ANZ plat on Monday and haven't received the card yet and on the website it already shows my potential bonus:

The phone app however has not caught up yet even after force closing it, so might be worth checking on the website

To add: flights bought on KB Plat back in Jan.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.

Last edited by raznz; Mar 30, 2023 at 7:45 pm Reason: add more info on when flightswas purchased
Old Mar 31, 2023, 9:27 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
6 flights (all TT) since the start
- status point bonus showing as potential earn
- credited at same time

I can't see the sense in this at all, all booked with company travel agent i.e. not the card
the bonus (booked full J/C) - was enough to flick me to the 3000 SP gift. Crazy.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by JANZFlyer
Crazy.
Yip.. The rationale behind this makes zero sense from a business perspective. I just don't know how it's possible to extract themselves out of this by removing it.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 10:46 pm

Programs: Airpoints
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Yip.. The rationale behind this makes zero sense from a business perspective. I just don't know how it's possible to extract themselves out of this by removing it.
At face value it is mind boggling. However, I think we might be overestimating just how many people hold an ANZ Platinum Airpoints card, many people
  • may not be collecting/care about Airpoints or status points
  • may not want to be with ANZ bank/may want a different Airpoints earning credit card
  • are not comfortable with a min $8000 credit limit
  • may not be eligible for a platinum level credit card
In other observations, I have no status and my status points have been capped at 225, all from credit card earn. I haven't flown since Jan 2020 and if there was no cap on SP credit card earn for my (non) status, I would have a lot more SP. Since the SP earn on credit card spend stopped in February, I fully expected my SP to drop each month: it hasn't, which is interesting.
JANZFlyer likes this.

Last edited by travellingmip; Mar 31, 2023 at 10:48 pm Reason: clarification
Old Apr 1, 2023, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
I’m sure ANZ and Air NZ both modelled how many many status points they give to card holders on spend vs a 50% flight bonus before they made this change. They have all the data there between the two companies. A few things to consider:

- Completely removes SP earn for those who don’t fly but put a lot of business or personal spend on their account. This group probably had people who flew multiple times per year but not enough to get status and they were able to get status from extra SP earn.
- I can’t see it bumping up Elite numbers by much due to the 810 Air NZ metal requirement. There might be a few who do but they would have Gold anyway and the modelling probably showed the cost of these people now being Elite would be small
- The amount of new Golds this would create would likely be the biggest worry to them and I can’t see the numbers being more here vs more with the SP from large spend group. I mean to get Gold from this card you’d have had to have earned Silver anyway and most people flying enough to get Silver (domestic or TT) would probably buy Koru and already have most of the benefits of Gold

On a personal note, it’s beneficial to me. I was around 200 SP’s off retaining Elite even with the tier support bonus of 270. But thanks to this card I’ll retain it, but I wouldn’t have without the tier support counting towards NZ metal.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 12:28 pm

If you pay your IRD or ACC business accounts with a credit card, you can now use your AMEX card through RewardPay
https://www.moneyhub.co.nz/rewardpay-review.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.