Disruption Strategy

Old Jul 17, 22, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by ozflier View Post
Hi, some Kiwi relatives have been caught up in the disruptions .

Four of them were booked to fly Brisbane to Auckland on Saturday night 16 july.

They received a text early that day saying that the flight was cancelled and to call ANZ for options.

They did and, after 90 minutes, spoke with an operator who told them that the earliest flight home was on Monday 18 july . No offer of a non direct flight ( eg via SYD) or to go via another airline although , to be fair , it was school holidays ( NZ and NZ) so seats would be likely unavailable .
Some hours later , another message to say they had been changed to the next day's flight on tuesday evening!

Unfortunately, I was not present at the call but I had expected NZ would have offered some future payment for additional accommodation meals and expected reportedly , there was none .

I am guessing that the usual causes affected the cancellation eg illness amongst staff etc.

We are not talking about rich people here just a group of young people visiting relatives in Queensland.

Is NZ under some obligation to offer some compensation for additional expenses and , in two cases , loss of income from their work ?
Ta tickets bought online in NZ.
Old Jul 18, 22, 7:47 am

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post
The NZ Space+ seating is indeed generous on the older 320 fleet. The NEO has reduced seat pitch (yes, the seat is a bit different, so an oranges-tangarines comparison).
I agree it's not quite so generous on the NEOs but still entirely acceptable and vastly better than the competition. What I find odd on the NEOs is how short they made the seat cushion - was it to make the legroom look better? - but although I find it a little disconcerting, especially since I have long legs, I don't find it uncomfortable so I guess no harm, no foul. I do find the higher windowline and slightly greater width on the A320 family distinctly preferable to the 737.

I was in WorksDeluxe BNE-WLG in 03F (83cm), and was envious that the Works pax on the left side had much more room (86cm). I was a late change so the WD Seats with HVC seating were all gone.

But youd think if paying $140 more for WD over Works youd at least get the best seating?
Yes, you really would. WD just seems like a pathetically thrown-together excuse of a product, and so half-hearted. And yet, here it still is all these years later, effectively unchanged. I can see some appeal to people who otherwise might not get lounge access but for the most part it just seems a waste of the front two rows.
Old Jul 18, 22, 1:29 pm

Programs: TG*G, NZ*G, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by mad_atta View Post
I agree it's not quite so generous on the NEOs but still entirely acceptable and vastly better than the competition. What I find odd on the NEOs is how short they made the seat cushion - was it to make the legroom look better? - but although I find it a little disconcerting, especially since I have long legs, I don't find it uncomfortable so I guess no harm, no foul. I do find the higher windowline and slightly greater width on the A320 family distinctly preferable to the 737.

Yes, you really would. WD just seems like a pathetically thrown-together excuse of a product, and so half-hearted. And yet, here it still is all these years later, effectively unchanged. I can see some appeal to people who otherwise might not get lounge access but for the most part it just seems a waste of the front two rows.
Works Deluxe does not even provide lounge access. (I had access as TG*G). Just an extra bag, priority heck-in and boarding, and an empty middle seat.

I was initially booked Seat only, but elected to buy-up to WD to at least give it a try once.
codyc1515 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 22, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by ozflier View Post
Is NZ under some obligation to offer some compensation for additional expenses and , in two cases , loss of income from their work ?
Check NZ Consumer Protection laws. You may have some valid claims, however this is complicated by the international aspect.
Old Jul 18, 22, 8:38 pm

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Works Deluxe does not even provide lounge access. (I had access as TG*G). Just an extra bag, priority heck-in and boarding, and an empty middle seat.

I was initially booked Seat only, but elected to buy-up to WD to at least give it a try once.
Wow, that values it even less. Did WD include lounge access once upon a time? I guess the priority boarding and extra bags are benefits you'd get as a *G anyway, so it really comes down to the empty middle seat and front-of-plane positioning.

Oh... and is there still a cheese plate? If so what does this mythical creation look like? They don't seem to mention it anymore on the website: Works Deluxe Experience | Air New Zealand Australia
Old Jul 18, 22, 8:41 pm

Programs: TG*G, NZ*G, QF G, Accor Gold
Wow, that values it even less. Did WD include lounge access once upon a time? I guess the priority boarding and extra bags are benefits you'd get as a *G anyway, so it really comes down to the empty middle seat and front-of-plane positioning.

Oh... and is there still a cheese plate? If so what does this mythical creation look like? They don't seem to mention it anymore on the website: Works Deluxe Experience | Air New Zealand Australia
The food was pathetic. A mini report to come soon.
mad_atta likes this.
Old Jul 19, 22, 2:04 am

Programs: NZ*E, A3*G, Accor Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold, GHA Black,
I was wondering about that. Have been amazed by how slowly NZ is ramping up its trans-Tasman schedule (still only 3x SYD-AKL flights daily, only one on widebody). As a result have been using QF across the ditch... which made me realise how much I miss Space+ (especially since none of my u/g requests have cleared.
agree! QF Y (couldn't get a seat on NZ J or QF) was awful, no leg room and dated plane. Also hated how the dimmed the cabin lights for the whole flight which felt really eerie to me!
2 other interesting points -
1. discovered I was OW Emerald, which meant I could use a separate first class section of the QF lounge in AKL - it felt more crowded than the other area though!
2. Guy behind me in Y - must have been a platinum 1.. was asked for drink preferences on take off and given a standard/full bottle of red near the end of the flight!
mad_atta likes this.
Old Jul 19, 22, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by JANZFlyer View Post
agree! QF Y (couldn't get a seat on NZ J or QF) was awful, no leg room and dated plane. Also hated how the dimmed the cabin lights for the whole flight which felt really eerie to me!
2 other interesting points -
1. discovered I was OW Emerald, which meant I could use a separate first class section of the QF lounge in AKL - it felt more crowded than the other area though!
2. Guy behind me in Y - must have been a platinum 1.. was asked for drink preferences on take off and given a standard/full bottle of red near the end of the flight!
That's quite an interesting way to discover you're OWE! Would have been a lot more useful flying in the other direction, as at least ex-SYD or MEL you could use the F lounge, which by all accounts really IS actually quite special (I've never had the pleasure, sadly).

Re the free wine... if it's what was served in coach I can't imagine a high-flying P1 being all that interested in it. Though QF's business class wines are usually respectable so maybe it was that.
Old Jul 20, 22, 3:02 am

Programs: NZ*E, A3*G, Accor Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold, GHA Black,
That's quite an interesting way to discover you're OWE! Would have been a lot more useful flying in the other direction, as at least ex-SYD or MEL you could use the F lounge, which by all accounts really IS actually quite special (I've never had the pleasure, sadly).

Re the free wine... if it's what was served in coach I can't imagine a high-flying P1 being all that interested in it. Though QF's business class wines are usually respectable so maybe it was that.
Yes I know! It was from a QR status match to NZ Elite - matched to highest tier.. and because of COVID lockdown kept getting extended. I fly TT NZ J frequently so definitely will switch these return flights over to QF to check out the lounge!
mad_atta likes this.
Old Jul 22, 22, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by JANZFlyer View Post
Yes I know! It was from a QR status match to NZ Elite - matched to highest tier.. and because of COVID lockdown kept getting extended. I fly TT NZ J frequently so definitely will switch these return flights over to QF to check out the lounge!
Good strategy... but only because you're Platinum / OWE. The QF business lounges at Sydney and Melbourne are really nothing special at all.
Old Aug 1, 22, 2:43 am

I see the fare credit policy has been extended through end of August. Has anyone here had success getting their TA to put a flight into credit? How does this work - are you then able to just use the Air NZ website with your credit or do you need to go through your TA again? I need to change my Amex annual complimentary domestic flight due to a bereavement but would prefer to just put the fare into credit as opposed to changing it right now. When I was speaking with NZ call centre they said that the TA needs to put the flight into credit for me but details on this are sparse.
Old Aug 1, 22, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by codyc1515 View Post
I see the fare credit policy has been extended through end of August. Has anyone here had success getting their TA to put a flight into credit? How does this work - are you then able to just use the Air NZ website with your credit or do you need to go through your TA again? I need to change my Amex annual complimentary domestic flight due to a bereavement but would prefer to just put the fare into credit as opposed to changing it right now. When I was speaking with NZ call centre they said that the TA needs to put the flight into credit for me but details on this are sparse.
Yes unfortunately if the tix was issued by a TA only they could place it in credit. Then it is completely invisible from the AirNZ website tool. You will have to ring up your TA next time you intend to use the credit, as only they can access it. Some TAs have their own rules around credit usage (i.e. you have to use it in one lump). Quite annoying and you could miss out on fares/classes of travel due to time delays on the TA side.

For that (unfortunate) reason, all my personal travel are directly booked via AirNZ site.
Old Aug 1, 22, 12:33 pm

Wow - that is disappointing, but perhaps unsurprising.
Old Aug 1, 22, 1:13 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
It's no different to any other booking. An agent is exactly that - your agent. By booking with one they become your point of contact for anything related to a booking.
Old Aug 2, 22, 2:15 am

Thanks for sharing. I managed to get in touch with Amex today to discuss. They had to call Air NZ to check but promised to call beck and call back they did. The fare is now in credit and can be used at a later date, even though it was the complimentary fare.

Search this Thread