FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Disruption Strategy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/2086354-disruption-strategy.html)

reubee Jul 9, 22 5:24 pm

Disruption Strategy
 
5 flights in and out of Queenstown today cancelled the night before. I get Covid/flu etc but wouldn't it make sense to cancel AKL/WLG, AKL/CHC flights where you have the option of putting on a 787/777 to mop up those disrupted?

nzkarit Jul 9, 22 5:28 pm


Originally Posted by reubee (Post 34411301)
5 flights in and out of Queenstown today cancelled the night before. I get Covid/flu etc but wouldn't it make sense to cancel AKL/WLG, AKL/CHC flights where you have the option of putting on a 787/777 to mop up those disrupted?

There isn't free widebodies at the moment and/or crew.

If a plane is on the ground doesn't mean they widebody crew to staff it. Part of the time of bringing back 777s is recertifying flight & cabin crew on the 777 & back filling the crew on the types they are coming from. This shuffle can be a long chain of retrainings.

Also looking where crew are want to run rotations where crew working every flight & not deadheading as don't want ot waste duty hours at the moment.

nzkarit Jul 9, 22 5:39 pm

To help with the wave at the moment they are offering credits again until 31 July.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/...entre-overload

Which I might take up as have some refundable flights coming up week after next & event travelling for looks like it might get pulled so works out well for me.

sbiddle Jul 9, 22 6:08 pm


Originally Posted by reubee (Post 34411301)
5 flights in and out of Queenstown today cancelled the night before. I get Covid/flu etc but wouldn't it make sense to cancel AKL/WLG, AKL/CHC flights where you have the option of putting on a 787/777 to mop up those disrupted?

There are major international cancellations as well both QF and NZ out of ZQN.

CHCflyer Jul 9, 22 6:50 pm

Can you get a widebody into ZQN?

Mwenenzi Jul 9, 22 7:05 pm


Originally Posted by CHCflyer (Post 34411467)
Can you get a widebody into ZQN?

It a small airport, with close terrain obstacles.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queenstown_Airport
Getting a wide body into ZQN may be be possible. Getting it out would be bits on the back of big trucks.;)
https://flightplan2050.co.nz/safety-concerns

Queenstown Airport is at the worst possible end of the safety spectrum for operation of scheduled commercial jet aircraft.

It has a short runway, difficult wind conditions (at the confluence of three mountain valleys which causes turbulence and windshear), minimum legal RESA’s at 90m instead of the industry standard 240m, and a high level of general aviation traffic. This results in Queenstown Airport having a Black Star Category X airport safety rating.

Queenstown Airport's proximity to the alpine divide manifests challenging mountain weather as easterly travelling depressions push against the Southern Alps. Severe turbulence, downdraughts and windshear can be experienced within the Queenstown basin below 1,200m. Runway conditions can change rapidly with snow, slush or ice. Snow showers can cause rapid reduction in visibility.

These hazards cause greater restrictions on aircraft operation with airlines applying special Queenstown rules that are more conservative than the aircraft manufacturers’ certified limits. Restrictions such as a reduction of permitted crosswind tolerance, down from 40 knots to 25 knots (80km/hr to 50km/hr) and permitted tailwind tolerance reduced from 15 knots to 5 knots (50km/hr to 10km/hr). Flight paths are adapted to be steeper than standard decent rates and significantly steeper climb rates on takeoff. All airlines require that only the Captain rather than copilot must control the aircraft for takeoffs and landings at Queenstown, and Captains must have completed training specific to Queenstown Airport before being able to operate in it.

One of reasons who some want a new central Otago airport
-->A new airport for Central Otago

reubee Jul 10, 22 2:33 am


Originally Posted by CHCflyer (Post 34411467)
Can you get a widebody into ZQN?

No, hence why in my mind it would make sense that instead of cancelling an AKL-ZQN return, more weighting is given to cancel an AKL-CHC return. If you cancel 2 or more AKL-CHC, the backlog may be able to be cleared by running a widebody down and back in the evening.

codyc1515 Jul 12, 22 3:50 am

Had some work colleagues take a trip to BNE recently ex. CHC. Had to go via WLG on the way there and through AKL on the way back. Their flight 7 pm AKL-CHC was cancelled and no seats available later in the day, so they stayed in a hotel that night. Got rebooked for AKL-ZQN-CHC the next day, then AKL-ZQN leg got cancelled. Finally, eventually, they managed to get routed AKL-NPE-CHC. I imagine that was quite a long trip for what would normally be just a shade over 3 hours. There's just very few seats, staff and planes to go around.

mad_atta Jul 13, 22 7:10 pm


Originally Posted by codyc1515 (Post 34417708)
There's just very few seats, staff and planes to go around.

I was wondering about that. Have been amazed by how slowly NZ is ramping up its trans-Tasman schedule (still only 3x SYD-AKL flights daily, only one on widebody). As a result have been using QF across the ditch... which made me realise how much I miss Space+ (especially since none of my u/g requests have cleared.

CHCflyer Jul 15, 22 7:33 pm


Originally Posted by mad_atta (Post 34423558)
I was wondering about that. Have been amazed by how slowly NZ is ramping up its trans-Tasman schedule (still only 3x SYD-AKL flights daily, only one on widebody). As a result have been using QF across the ditch... which made me realise how much I miss Space+ (especially since none of my u/g requests have cleared.

Having just done five QF 737 flights i now realise how snug they are, how old they have become, and also how pared back the QF product is becoming.

ozflier Jul 16, 22 6:53 pm

Hi, some Kiwi relatives have been caught up in the disruptions .

Four of them were booked to fly Brisbane to Auckland on Saturday night 16 july.

They received a text early that day saying that the flight was cancelled and to call ANZ for options.

They did and, after 90 minutes, spoke with an operator who told them that the earliest flight home was on Monday 18 july . No offer of a non direct flight ( eg via SYD) or to go via another airline although , to be fair , it was school holidays ( NZ and NZ) so seats would be likely unavailable .
Some hours later , another message to say they had been changed to the next day's flight on tuesday evening!

Unfortunately, I was not present at the call but I had expected NZ would have offered some future payment for additional accommodation meals and expected reportedly , there was none .

I am guessing that the usual causes affected the cancellation eg illness amongst staff etc.

We are not talking about rich people here just a group of young people visiting relatives in Queensland.

Is NZ under some obligation to offer some compensation for additional expenses and , in two cases , loss of income from their work ?

JamesBigglesworth Jul 17, 22 6:38 am


Originally Posted by ozflier (Post 34432270)
Is NZ under some obligation to offer some compensation for additional expenses and , in two cases , loss of income from their work ?

They bought the tickets in NZL for the flights, yes? If yes then they can argue the direct costs (eg. hotel, meals, transport, device data/roaming) in Disputes Tribunal and have a better than decent chance of winning as a simple tort. Keep all receipts, don't go crazy on expenses. They don't argue the fact of the delay. They argue the consequent *costs* incurred *by* the delay imposed by NZ.

mad_atta Jul 17, 22 6:55 am


Originally Posted by CHCflyer (Post 34429927)
Having just done five QF 737 flights i now realise how snug they are, how old they have become, and also how pared back the QF product is becoming.

Definitely snug - though the snuggest was actually on a new aircraft, with a Boeing Sky interior, which I swear had the tightest seat pitch I've ever encountered on a QF jet (and I was in row 6). I'd take one of their more tired, older planes over that, given they do have a smidge more room in my experience...

But yep, Space+ on any of NZs 320s/321s is a different best entirely. But their fares and schedules are just appalling right now - for my needs, at least.

CHCflyer Jul 17, 22 3:58 pm


Originally Posted by mad_atta (Post 34433158)
Definitely snug - though the snuggest was actually on a new aircraft, with a Boeing Sky interior, which I swear had the tightest seat pitch I've ever encountered on a QF jet (and I was in row 6). I'd take one of their more tired, older planes over that, given they do have a smidge more room in my experience...

But yep, Space+ on any of NZs 320s/321s is a different best entirely. But their fares and schedules are just appalling right now - for my needs, at least.

I think you are right there. The table does dig into the stomach, too on those with the blue halo above business class.
Same here - I was in row 6 - I avoid four as the seats accommodate the table in the arm rest.. But like the airlines keep telling us, this is a response to customer demand where we want cheap airfares to places we don't want to go, at times we don't want to fly, so my trans-Tasman trip cost me a 'cheap' $1,600 in row 6.

Thai-Kiwi Jul 17, 22 5:40 pm


Originally Posted by CHCflyer (Post 34434322)
I think you are right there. The table does dig into the stomach, too on those with the blue halo above business class.
Same here - I was in row 6 - I avoid four as the seats accommodate the table in the arm rest.. But like the airlines keep telling us, this is a response to customer demand where we want cheap airfares to places we don't want to go, at times we don't want to fly, so my trans-Tasman trip cost me a 'cheap' $1,600 in row 6.

I have no issue with row 4 on the QF 738s, except for the B/E seats with reduced underfloor space.

The NZ Space+ seating is indeed generous on the older 320 fleet. The NEO has reduced seat pitch (yes, the seat is a bit different, so an oranges-tangarines comparison). I was in WorksDeluxe BNE-WLG in 03F (83cm), and was envious that the Works pax on the left side had much more room (86cm). I was a late change so the WD Seats with HVC seating were all gone.

But you’d think if paying $140 more for WD over Works you’d at least get the ‘best seating’…?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 8:55 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.