Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Air New Zealand / Virgin Australia Trans-Tasman Alliance Information

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air New Zealand / Virgin Australia Trans-Tasman Alliance Information

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2011, 8:03 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by trooper
Arrghh...

No sense from the DJ call centre so I'm turning to the FT bods.

Noticed on the SQ website that I can book itins originating in CBR (in my case CBR-SYD-SIN-BKK) with the CBR-SYD flight logically on DJ... presumably this IS one PNR...

NZ FAQ's says Lounge access is available on "domestic Australia only" flights.. so presumably that works here... BUT.. do the other benefits get offered as well?

Baggage? Interlining?

No point flying to SYD if I have to pay extra for bags, then pick up bags/schlep them across to International/ check in again....

Anyone have any ideas???
You have lounge access on all flights operated by DJ apart from Pacific Island routes with your NZ*G status. SQ*G should cover all routes. With NZ*G You also get 23kg extra check in baggage on DJ. No need to purchase the bag even if you buy a separate domestic DJ saver fare. In NZ's case, eg, CBR-SYD-AKL on one PNR, bags will be transferred automatically to AKL. On the way back, you will have to collect bags due to Customs requirement. You will receive your second boarding pass in SYD though they are working on getting the second boarding pass issued at first port. I would expect the same with SQ but I don't believe DJ's agreement with SQ has kicked off apart from lounge access so you will have to wait.

I just wish DJ could join *A asap so all the confusion could disappear.

Last edited by Xiaotung; Nov 18, 2011 at 8:08 pm
Old Nov 19, 2011, 10:29 pm

Thanks for that...

I am passing by the airport this week.. I think I'll drop in and ask!!!

After all, the folks I ask at CBR will be the folks checking me in if I book that itin!
Old Dec 11, 2011, 7:02 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Is this correct? If so, where's the reciprocity?

Velocity Platinums and Golds can:

Avoid the extra fees for luggage when booking: Platinum members will get 69kg of luggage and Gold a 32kg bag no matter which ticket type they buy anywhere on the Trans-Tasman Alliance -- even Air New Zealand's "no bags" Seat fares
From AusBT: http://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-austr...tasman-flights
Old Dec 11, 2011, 8:20 pm

Given recent comments about NZ long haul and the very recent downgrading of earning on NZ is NZ about to be taken over by DJ.
Most cheap flights to AUS are on DJ, DJ giving status match to NZ HVC's, maybe it is DJ taking over rather than the other way around.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by brenrox
Is this correct? If so, where's the reciprocity?

From AusBT: http://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-austr...tasman-flights
are you surprise Velocuty FFP is more generous than NZ?

Virgin Australia's top-tier frequent flyers receive a wealth of benefits, in some ways more than Air New Zealand's own Gold Elite and Gold Airpoints members.

Platinum members will get 69kg of luggage and Gold a 32kg bag no matter which ticket type they buy anywhere on the Trans-Tasman Alliance -- even Air New Zealand's "no bags" Seat fares.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:05 am
NHM

Programs: NZ*GE
any ideas who to talk to at Virgin re status matching?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 6:57 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, CX Gold, VA Gold, BA paeon, VS rabble, NZ A$ bru
Originally Posted by brenrox
Is this correct? If so, where's the reciprocity
(Disclaimer: my article; I generally don't respond to FT threads about my own stuff but wanted to explain where this came from.)

I was as stunned as you when the Virgin Australia spokesperson told me about the entitlements -- as I stated in the article, I know that GE and *G don't get that even remotely.

I expressed my surprise to the spokesperson, who went back and double-checked with the trans-Tasman alliance bods, and yep, that's the official line, along the logic that Velocity members have an alliance-wide expectation of their benefits.

Obviously, writing an article for AusBT (the "Aus" there is a bit of a giveaway) I focused on Velocity. In theory, that also suggests that NZ FFs should get their NZ luggage allowances on DJ flights.

(It really doesn't help that the PDF that many of us rely on for benefits, and to which I link in many of those trans-Tasman alliance articles from last week, is markedly out of date and has not been updated.)

Super-happy to clarify or answer any further Qs, either here, in DMs or on Twitter. (If there's a question here, drop me a DM to point me towards it? I'm on the road and thread following is slightly too much to handle right now.)

NHM, Virgin Australia won't status match you from NZ or EY, but they were matching earlier this year from just about everything else. Maybe call up the Velocity people and see what they say?

Last edited by ThatJohn; Dec 12, 2011 at 6:58 pm Reason: comma fail
Old Dec 12, 2011, 8:02 pm

VA status matched my NZ GE to Velocity Plat without any problems.

The promo has finished a while ago this is why we need to check FT daily
Old Dec 12, 2011, 8:33 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, CX Gold, VA Gold, BA paeon, VS rabble, NZ A$ bru
Originally Posted by zqsn5678
VA status matched my NZ GE to Velocity Plat without any problems.
I've seen and heard a number of cases going either way on the NZ-VA status match, but the official line and fine print was a "no". You're a lucky one!
Old Dec 12, 2011, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by ThatJohn
I've seen and heard a number of cases going either way on the NZ-VA status match, but the official line and fine print was a "no". You're a lucky one!
yes that was the official t&c however there were a number of NZ Gs/GEs (both here on FT and Aus FF forum) that was grant for VA G/Plat.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 9:11 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Thanks ThatJohn, appreciate your response. Would give me great satisfaction making a seat only booking as a NZ*G and flashing my VA*G card at NZ check-in to claim the free bag. I wonder if there is an official reference on their website if challenged at check-in
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:52 pm

Programs: QF Gold
Surely you could only do that flying with DJ right? Not on an NZ flight.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by zqsn5678
yes that was the official t&c however there were a number of NZ Gs/GEs (both here on FT and Aus FF forum) that was grant for VA G/Plat.
Amazingly DJ were even matching Gold Elite Partner to Velocity Platinum.
Originally Posted by Shazzadude
Surely you could only do that flying with DJ right? Not on an NZ flight.
As things currently stand, DJ Elites on NZ flights get free luggage and the allowances are quite generous.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:02 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Originally Posted by ntddevsys
Amazingly DJ were even matching Gold Elite Partner to Velocity Platinum.
Indeed they were. Nicely surprising.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 1:02 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by ThatJohn
(Disclaimer: my article; I generally don't respond to FT threads about my own stuff but wanted to explain where this came from.)

I was as stunned as you when the Virgin Australia spokesperson told me about the entitlements -- as I stated in the article, I know that GE and *G don't get that even remotely.

I expressed my surprise to the spokesperson, who went back and double-checked with the trans-Tasman alliance bods, and yep, that's the official line, along the logic that Velocity members have an alliance-wide expectation of their benefits.
Thanks ThatJohn for posting. Did you know when the DJ-NZ alliance was first announced, even all the cheapest NZ domestic flights accrued Velocity points? For instance, the grabaseat fares booked in F class. When some of us raised this with NZ, they said DJ got it all wrong and a few days later DJ removed these from their accural table.

Are you sure the free bags issue the DJ spokeman told you is not another "they have got it all wrong" moment?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.