Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Air New Zealand / Virgin Australia Trans-Tasman Alliance Information

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air New Zealand / Virgin Australia Trans-Tasman Alliance Information

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2011, 4:26 am

Programs: Amex Plat, CX Gold, VA Gold, BA paeon, VS rabble, NZ A$ bru
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Are you sure the free bags issue the DJ spokeman told you is not another "they have got it all wrong" moment?
I was as deeply skeptical as you -- perhaps more so, since obviously anything like this (especially things that fly in the face of established and published information) is delved into very deeply by people who fly on the alliance far more regularly than I. (Hi guys.) I hate getting things wrong, and hate even more when people give us wrong information that we (and our readers) then rely on.

If it is another "they've got it all wrong" moment, then the "they" is one of Virgin's savviest media people who knew exactly what I'd be doing with the information. That person also checked twice (after I initially expressed skepticism) with the Virgin-side alliance team, who had been providing answers to specific questions all week and would also have had to get it wrong. Of course, that's not an iron-clad guarantee. Things could change next week! American Airlines could merge with Air New Zealand!

But...to the best of my endeavours in making sure that it's right, that's what Virgin told me. I would be super-interested (and not inconsiderably disappointed) to learn differently.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 5:11 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by ThatJohn
I was as deeply skeptical as you -- perhaps more so, since obviously anything like this (especially things that fly in the face of established and published information) is delved into very deeply by people who fly on the alliance far more regularly than I. (Hi guys.) I hate getting things wrong, and hate even more when people give us wrong information that we (and our readers) then rely on.

If it is another "they've got it all wrong" moment, then the "they" is one of Virgin's savviest media people who knew exactly what I'd be doing with the information. That person also checked twice (after I initially expressed skepticism) with the Virgin-side alliance team, who had been providing answers to specific questions all week and would also have had to get it wrong. Of course, that's not an iron-clad guarantee. Things could change next week! American Airlines could merge with Air New Zealand!

But...to the best of my endeavours in making sure that it's right, that's what Virgin told me. I would be super-interested (and not inconsiderably disappointed) to learn differently.
The one thing that your DJ contact may have gotten wrong is DJ elites only get their usual DJ baggage entitlement if they book with DJ with a DJ flight number even if the flight is on a NZ plane. When they say Seat Only perhaps they really mean their own Saver fares without the need to purchase a bag, hence Seat Only? If a DJ elite book with NZ with a NZ flight number, I am pretty sure they will get nothing above what the fare permits in terms of baggage.

Of course when it comes to NZ domestic Seat to Suit fares which is only a new thing, I would be very surprised if NZ allowed DJ elites to check in a bag without paying the $10 extra. If they did, I would be the first to complain as NZ*GE. And I am sure it's just a matter of a phone call to get NZ to pick up the phone to DJ to clarify.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 9:57 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
The one thing that your DJ contact may have gotten wrong is DJ elites only get their usual DJ baggage entitlement if they book with DJ with a DJ flight number even if the flight is on a NZ plane. When they say Seat Only perhaps they really mean their own Saver fares without the need to purchase a bag, hence Seat Only? If a DJ elite book with NZ with a NZ flight number, I am pretty sure they will get nothing above what the fare permits in terms of baggage.

Of course when it comes to NZ domestic Seat to Suit fares which is only a new thing, I would be very surprised if NZ allowed DJ elites to check in a bag without paying the $10 extra. If they did, I would be the first to complain as NZ*GE. And I am sure it's just a matter of a phone call to get NZ to pick up the phone to DJ to clarify.
One thing Star Alliance normally gets right is to extend Star Gold benefits to any Star metal regardless of code shares or ticket stock. These type of revenue-share arrangements normally get this wrong.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Joshua
One thing Star Alliance normally gets right is to extend Star Gold benefits to any Star metal regardless of code shares or ticket stock. These type of revenue-share arrangements normally get this wrong.
hmmmm .... he thinks ... as he ponders the lack of any free checked luggage allowance at all for *G on NZ SEAT fares ...
Old Feb 21, 2012, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by ThatJohn
I would be super-interested (and not inconsiderably disappointed) to learn differently.
Curious here also: have any Velocity Gold or Platinum folks travelled on NZ sold and operated flights and avoided paying for luggage on the seat only fares recently?
Old Feb 21, 2012, 6:20 pm

Programs: QF Gold
I wouldn't like your chances.

I'll be attempting to get a free bag on an NZ ticketed, DJ metal flight from BNE on Sunday as DJ*G, hopefully there's no trouble there.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Shazzadude
I wouldn't like your chances.

I'll be attempting to get a free bag on an NZ ticketed, DJ metal flight from BNE on Sunday as DJ*G, hopefully there's no trouble there.
Officially you shouldn't be able to as it will be treated as if it was a NZ operated flight but I suspect you can get away with it.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by stewardo
Curious here also: have any Velocity Gold or Platinum folks travelled on NZ sold and operated flights and avoided paying for luggage on the seat only fares recently?
Apparently DJ updated their website as follows:

Air New Zealand (Non-Tasman - including NZ domestic and international**)

Priority Check-in
Priority Baggage
Additional checked baggage of one piece up to 23kg ***

**Excludes Pacific Island flights with Air New Zealand
*** Excluding domestic itineraries where a 'Seat Only' fare has been purchased
Old Feb 26, 2012, 1:34 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Has anyone had trouble getting into the KC automatically with a Velocity Gold or Platinum card? Whenever I put a DJ number into a domestic booking and then scan my BP at the lounge it comes up red and the agent needs to manually put my details in from the Velocity card.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
Has anyone had trouble getting into the KC automatically with a Velocity Gold or Platinum card? Whenever I put a DJ number into a domestic booking and then scan my BP at the lounge it comes up red and the agent needs to manually put my details in from the Velocity card.
You have to do it manually every time.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 8:11 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA, QF
*G Benefits on AirNZ Metal if Booked through DJ?

After searching through this thread and some others, I still cannot find the answer. I am *G (non-AirNZ) and am looking to book a flight via DJ (DJ8xxx number) operated by NZ across the Tazman (BNE-AKL). Not expecting any miles or status credits with the *G program, but would like to use the lounge and possibly priority checkin. Would book through AirNZ but have some DJ credit left over from the ash cloud mess. Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 8:30 pm

You won't be able to access the lounge booking with DJ as an A3*G-DJ are not part of *A, and as far as I'm aware, no reciprocal agreement between DJ and A3 exists.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 9:06 pm

OK.. should have reported back sooner to this thread...

Flew CBR-SYD-SIN-BKK booked on SQ website. At CBR check in (went to the Biz class/elite desk) very friendly and competent young lady checked both bags all the way, with priority tags and no question about entitlement. When I asked about Lounge access she told me "their system" had me listed as "Platinum" and I could access the lounge AND take 5 guests in..

She then asked if I'd like the exit row for "a bit more legroom"...

Great experience all round actually. Lounge was nice.. and uncrowded (early morning flight out).. aircraft (ATR-72 - a first-on-type for me) was spotless.. probably because it seemed, and smelt, brand new...

Seat 1A is excellent.. especially as 1C is placarded "Not to be occupied on take off or landing"... so room to spread out....

I know who I'll be flying domestically now!^^
Old Nov 1, 2012, 1:22 am

Just did a couple of DJ legs ticketed with NZ flight numbers. DJ checkin girls seem to have taken an unhealthy interest in Velocity bag tags of late and took it upon themselves to log the membership number at check in. Now the DJ legs have credited to my Velocity account instead of Airpoints. Can't be bothered arguing about it, but just be careful it doesn't happen to you!
Old Nov 1, 2012, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by ps107
Just did a couple of DJ legs ticketed with NZ flight numbers. DJ checkin girls seem to have taken an unhealthy interest in Velocity bag tags of late and took it upon themselves to log the membership number at check in. Now the DJ legs have credited to my Velocity account instead of Airpoints. Can't be bothered arguing about it, but just be careful it doesn't happen to you!
hardly surprising!

NZ changed / removed my FQTS (status field) on a NZ TT flight, my DJ*E was not shown on the inflight pax sheet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.