Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Air New Zealand / Virgin Australia Trans-Tasman Alliance Information

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air New Zealand / Virgin Australia Trans-Tasman Alliance Information

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2014, 1:14 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by uanthony
I have been flying on average every week to WLG & CHC and have noticed all Business Class in QF has been full and surprisingly the late three flights out of CHC on EK have all been nearly all full in business class.
Qantas tends to pick up the large corporate contracts on the Tasman, where as NZ tends to stand clear. Could that even though Qantas J cabins are fill on the tasman, how many of there passengers are on cheap corporate rates.

Also typically most companies in New Zealand don't allow Business Class on the Tasman. Where as in Australia its a different story.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 11:12 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
..WLG has really benefitted from the EK alliance.
I like clearing immigration in WLG. I used to travel J on NZ to/from SYD and connect to/from SE Asia with SQ or TG.

Over the past year I have travelled EK a few times now codeshare between WLG and SYD and then EK to SE Asia.

All the QF flights I have been on TT have been full in J.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 9:48 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum, Qantas Platinum, Velocity Platinum, Air New Zealand Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WLG Base
All the QF flights I have been on TT have been full in J.
Got back from CH on Sunday on an EK flight, business class nearly all full and noticed nearly all exited in SYD.

Went over on QF and again all business was full to CH, had a conversation with the cabin supervisor who said that they are nearly always full on the T/T to CH & WLG. He said that it was because NZ does not offer a full business class on the WLG & CH routes.

Given some of the specials that EK offer the EK and QF fares are sometimes cheaper one way from NZ to SYD in Business than the works deluxe product, and if not on special about an extra $200 over works deluxe.

When VA start business on the T/T does it not leave NZ as a LCC on the routes not serviced by the bigger aircraft?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: Air NZ, QF
Unhappy Airpoints Gold Newb

Hi Team
Sorry for a question that may be a repeater - I've gone through and searched a bunch of threads and to no avail :-(

I am a newbie Airpoints Gold member, flying VA 01 SYD-LAX today and can't make head or tail of what I get in regards to privileges at SYD or LAX?

Do I get lounge access for myself and my partner? Priority boarding? Do I use VA lounge or KC?

The website for ANZ seemed really vague (or maybe thats just me).

Thanks so much in advance - I know its not really an interesting question...

PM
Old Sep 17, 2014, 5:49 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
It is very hard to find accurate information. I do know that for international flights out of Sydney on VA metal, they still use the AirNZ lounge, except for Abu Dhabi flights for which they use the Etihad lounge. In LAX they use the new Star Alliance lounge.

As for what you're entitled to with NZ*G, that is much less clear... but I *think* you are treated the same as Virgin Velocity gold, which will get you lounge access at both ends (plus a guest). I'm pretty sure it shows up as 'Partner Gold' on your boarding pass.

Have a go and let us know how you get on
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by paulymaybury
Hi Team
Sorry for a question that may be a repeater - I've gone through and searched a bunch of threads and to no avail :-(

I am a newbie Airpoints Gold member, flying VA 01 SYD-LAX today and can't make head or tail of what I get in regards to privileges at SYD or LAX?

Do I get lounge access for myself and my partner? Priority boarding? Do I use VA lounge or KC?

PM
The arrangement with VA on international flights is that you can access lounges operated by NZ only (excluding PI flights and DPS). So when VA used to depart from T3 you would have no access to the Virgin America lounge that VA contracted. You also don't have access ex AUH and HKT on VA.

But VA now departs from TBIT and use the Star Alliance lounge. I don't see why you won't have access as it's operated by NZ.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:22 pm

On another note, VA has opted for the Zodiac seats for their 330 and 77W's seen on CX. I much prefer these seats than the NZ ones. First you are facing the window not away from it. Makes it a lot more comfortable to look out the window. And you don't have to get up to convert the bed.

http://www.runwaygirlnetwork.com/201...330s-and-777s/
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:50 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Lounge Access

It can be quite confusing. I've got a AKL-SYD on a VA ticket and metal (I'm currently a KC member). The way I read the terms and conditions is that as a KC member, I can only access the AKL KC if I have a NZ ticket and NZ flight number on VA metal. However, I emailed NZ and they clarified that I can access the AKL KC even with a VA flight number on VA metal. Confusing! I kept the email response in case I need it if lounge access is denied.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by paulymaybury
Hi Team

PM
From the Air NZ website:

When travelling on a Virgin Australia international flight, excluding flights to or from the Pacific Islands, Gold and Elite Airpoints members are entitled to enter Air New Zealand owned and operated lounges.

So yes you should have access to the NZ lounge in Sydney and Star Alliance Lounge at LAX (as this is run by NZ)

But then I also see this little bugger sitting within the Koru Lounge Information section of the NZ website:

Airpoints Elite, Gold and Koru members do not have access to lounges in conjunction with long haul Virgin Australia flights

I'd recommend trying your luck

Last edited by NZ_Flyer; Sep 17, 2014 at 11:04 pm
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
It can be quite confusing. I've got a AKL-SYD on a VA ticket and metal (I'm currently a KC member). The way I read the terms and conditions is that as a KC member, I can only access the AKL KC if I have a NZ ticket and NZ flight number on VA metal. However, I emailed NZ and they clarified that I can access the AKL KC even with a VA flight number on VA metal. Confusing! I kept the email response in case I need it if lounge access is denied.
This is clearly not the case as you can definitely enter VA lounges with a VA coded domestic flight with your KC card. I don't see why it would be any different across the Tasman.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:36 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
My understanding is lounge access is only available on Virgin Intl flights to NZ. You won't get lounge access when flying on long haul Virgin flights to the US.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Lounge Information - Koru - Airpoints - Air New Zealand - Australia Site

Virgin Australia trans-Tasman alliance

Airpoints Elite, Gold and Koru members may bring one eligible guest with them to Virgin Australia lounges in Australia.
Airpoints Elite, Gold and Koru members do not have access to lounges when travelling on Virgin Australia flights to and from the Pacific Islands, Denpasar Bali, Port Moresby or Phuket.
Airpoints Elite, Gold and Koru members do not have access to lounges in conjunction with long haul Virgin Australia flights.

Last edited by serfty; Sep 18, 2014 at 2:25 am
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by serfty
Look at page 15 of this: Trans-Tasman Alliance Booket

The only caveats are in relation to Pacific Island Routes
NZ insist that DPS is Pacific Islands but I did gain lounge access in SYD.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
NZ insist that DPS is Pacific Islands but I did gain lounge access in SYD.
Sadly that page relates to "The Trans Tasman" travel it seems.

I have edited my post with the link and it's bad news ...
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
This is clearly not the case as you can definitely enter VA lounges with a VA coded domestic flight with your KC card. I don't see why it would be any different across the Tasman.
From KC T&C's:

The Koru Member must be departing on one of the following flights (if they wish to access an Air New Zealand International Lounge):
1. an Air New Zealand operated aircraft (with an Air New Zealand ticket and flight number); or
2. a Virgin Australia operated aircraft for travel within Australia and between New Zealand and Australia (with an Air New Zealand ticket and flight number); or
3. on a Cathay Pacific operated aircraft if travelling between Hong Kong and Auckland (with an Air New Zealand ticket and flight number).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.