Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Air New Zealand / Virgin Australia Trans-Tasman Alliance Information

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air New Zealand / Virgin Australia Trans-Tasman Alliance Information

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2011, 5:34 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by QTFLYER
I am still waiting for my confirmation. I emailed away my details 1 week ago for gold match, not heard anything yet......
Have you logged into your velocity account and checked there?
Old Oct 4, 2011, 6:45 pm

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by brenrox
Have you logged into your velocity account and checked there?

Haha, I was waiting for confirmation too, but I've just logged into my account and it shows me up as Gold. Hooray.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
Yup mine came through on Friday. If you choose the Europcar status match then you can apply for an Accor status match once the Europcar one comes through.
Very handy to know, thanks. Do you know how long Europcar and Accor take yet?
Old Oct 4, 2011, 10:27 pm

Programs: Airpoints, HHONORS GOLD VIP, Aclub Gold
Ahh, it seems to have ggone through. So much for the confirmation email but never mind, its done now. Thanks virgin..!

I wonder how many koru club members will leave for velocity lounge programme. Am I right in reading that for a silver member (easy for most people to get) the cost to join is only 300 with no joining fee??? Wow, thats a snip, if I did not have any status I would buy that in a flash, I wonder if you get another benifits with that programme such as premium check in etc like you do with kc?
Old Oct 4, 2011, 10:31 pm

Programs: VA Plat, TK E, HH Dia, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by QTFLYER
Ahh, it seems to have ggone through. So much for the confirmation email but never mind, its done now. Thanks virgin..!

I wonder how many koru club members will leave for velocity lounge programme. Am I right in reading that for a silver member (easy for most people to get) the cost to join is only 300 with no joining fee??? Wow, thats a snip, if I did not have any status I would buy that in a flash, I wonder if you get another benifits with that programme such as premium check in etc like you do with kc?
Testing my memory but there is no premium check in with the VA lounge membership. However if you had reached silver that would allow you to join the priority queue with VA and some international partners.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Originally Posted by ps107
Very handy to know, thanks. Do you know how long Europcar and Accor take yet?
I applied for Europcar and was told they would be in contact with me within 20 business days. Once that is successful I would imagine the same sort of time frame from Europcar to Accor.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 6:19 am

That sliding envelope thing the stuff came in is magical!
Old Oct 8, 2011, 6:29 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by ps107
That sliding envelope thing the stuff came in is magical!
And those personalised bag tags look good too. Suddenly makes Airpoints Gold Elite material so cheap.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 6:59 am

I'm dubious of credit card esque tags as mine always get bent beyond recognition after a few trips. I still prefer the papery plastic Air NZ ones they dish out at the check in desks. Those last for years.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:44 pm

No Koru lounge access for ANZ long haul for Velocity Gold/Platinum

Hey guys, I'm now confused.

This is from v-news emailed to me by velocity.

"Air New Zealand lounge access
Velocity Platinum and Gold members and Virgin Australia lounge members and their guest are eligible to access Air New Zealand owned and operated lounges. You must be travelling on a trans-Tasman flight with Pacific Blue or Air New Zealand, a domestic Air New Zealand flight, or a domestic Virgin Australia flight on the same day to be eligible for lounge entry. You will need to present your boarding pass, Velocity Platinum, Velocity Gold or Virgin Australia lounge (Velocity) membership card on entry. Please note that lounge access is not avaliable when flying to Pacific Island destinations^^^. Find out more"

I note that international long haul on air new Zealand is not included/omitted. Am I correct in this reading? Does that mean velocity gold members will not be able to use the AKL lounge on a MEL-AKL-LAX flight for example?

Hopefully someone can help me figure this one out.
Many thanks...

Cheers,
MrMNJ
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by MrMNJ
Hey guys, I'm now confused.

This is from v-news emailed to me by velocity.

"Air New Zealand lounge access
Velocity Platinum and Gold members and Virgin Australia lounge members and their guest are eligible to access Air New Zealand owned and operated lounges. You must be travelling on a trans-Tasman flight with Pacific Blue or Air New Zealand, a domestic Air New Zealand flight, or a domestic Virgin Australia flight on the same day to be eligible for lounge entry. You will need to present your boarding pass, Velocity Platinum, Velocity Gold or Virgin Australia lounge (Velocity) membership card on entry. Please note that lounge access is not avaliable when flying to Pacific Island destinations^^^. Find out more"

I note that international long haul on air new Zealand is not included/omitted. Am I correct in this reading? Does that mean velocity gold members will not be able to use the AKL lounge on a MEL-AKL-LAX flight for example?

Hopefully someone can help me figure this one out.
Many thanks...

Cheers,
MrMNJ
I believe this was just poorly worded and NZ long haul flights were simply left out by mistake. What they often forget is the FFP reciprocity covers more than the trans-Tasman alliance. I have spoken to many NZ and DJ staff and they were all under the impression that only trans-Tasman and connecting domestic flights are part of the cooperation. Clearly as an elite DJ member, you get priority check-in, priority baggage and an additional bag up to 23kg when travelling NZ long haul. I would be very surprised if lounge access was not part of the deal.

I have written many threads in this forum trying to clarify these issues but honestly I have lost interests. I just don't think they can ever get it right until the day DJ enter Star Alliance.

On another note, on a recent DJ trans-Tasman flight the check in agent offered to block the seat next to me on a Seat Only fare. I was given row 3 which is their Premium Econony seat. Kinda makes Works Deluxe pointless, doesn't it?
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
I believe this was just poorly worded and NZ long haul flights were simply left out by mistake. What they often forget is the FFP reciprocity covers more than the trans-Tasman alliance. I have spoken to many NZ and DJ staff and they were all under the impression that only trans-Tasman and connecting domestic flights are part of the cooperation. Clearly as an elite DJ member, you get priority check-in, priority baggage and an additional bag up to 23kg when travelling NZ long haul. I would be very surprised if lounge access was not part of the deal.

I have written many threads in this forum trying to clarify these issues but honestly I have lost interests. I just don't think they can ever get it right until the day DJ enter Star Alliance.

On another note, on a recent DJ trans-Tasman flight the check in agent offered to block the seat next to me on a Seat Only fare. I was given row 3 which is their Premium Econony seat. Kinda makes Works Deluxe pointless, doesn't it?
I have a longhaul trip next year in Y on NZ where I will only have NZ*S status by then but Velocity Platinum. I emailed Velocity and specifically asked whether Velocity Gold/Platinum members can access NZ lounges when travelling on NZ in Y. They sent back a standard response which just said "Velocity Platinum/Gold members can access NZ lounges when travelling trans-tasman on either airline or domestic on NZ." So they didn't actually answer my question and I'm assuming they are saying no in the most diplomatic way possible.

I find it weird that Velocity FF's get priority check-in and baggage plus an additional baggage allowance when flying NZ longhaul but no lounge access. I would have thought you would have offered everything or nothing. Maybe it's something they are still hashing out as in terms of lounge access then NZ get the raw deal as they offer access to all their lounges to DJ elites and DJ to the same to NZ elites but DJ only have less than 10 lounges compared to NZ's larger number.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
I have a longhaul trip next year in Y on NZ where I will only have NZ*S status by then but Velocity Platinum. I emailed Velocity and specifically asked whether Velocity Gold/Platinum members can access NZ lounges when travelling on NZ in Y. They sent back a standard response which just said "Velocity Platinum/Gold members can access NZ lounges when travelling trans-tasman on either airline or domestic on NZ." So they didn't actually answer my question and I'm assuming they are saying no in the most diplomatic way possible.

I find it weird that Velocity FF's get priority check-in and baggage plus an additional baggage allowance when flying NZ longhaul but no lounge access. I would have thought you would have offered everything or nothing. Maybe it's something they are still hashing out as in terms of lounge access then NZ get the raw deal as they offer access to all their lounges to DJ elites and DJ to the same to NZ elites but DJ only have less than 10 lounges compared to NZ's larger number.
I think it would be a good idea to email NZ directly. DJ call centre is hopeless and knows nothing about their partnership with NZ (or EY for that matter).

I do have lounge access as NZ*G when travelling on VA to LAX. And I was told as long as the lounge is operated by NZ or VA I will have access. Of course at the moment DJ/VA do not have any international lounge. On the way back from LAX unfortunately can't get to NZ lounge as VA departs from a different terminal.

So I would say you should definitely be able to enter the NZ lounge with your DJ Plat card. The key word is reciprocal.

You can also refer to page 17 on link below:

http://www.airnzagent.co.nz/assets/a...e-final-v2.pdf

Last edited by Xiaotung; Nov 10, 2011 at 9:32 pm
Old Nov 13, 2011, 8:26 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
I've noticed with the current TT sale, the cheapest fares are all on DJ and the next cheapest NZ sale fare are $10-30 extra e.w
Old Nov 18, 2011, 7:30 pm

Arrghh...

No sense from the DJ call centre so I'm turning to the FT bods.

Noticed on the SQ website that I can book itins originating in CBR (in my case CBR-SYD-SIN-BKK) with the CBR-SYD flight logically on DJ... presumably this IS one PNR...

NZ FAQ's says Lounge access is available on "domestic Australia only" flights.. so presumably that works here... BUT.. do the other benefits get offered as well?

Baggage? Interlining?

No point flying to SYD if I have to pay extra for bags, then pick up bags/schlep them across to International/ check in again....

Anyone have any ideas???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.