Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Air New Zealand / Virgin Australia Trans-Tasman Alliance Information

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air New Zealand / Virgin Australia Trans-Tasman Alliance Information

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:11 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by Rebound
Shouldn't have slept in on the SDR to MEL
lol

Upon chasing my missing DJ points up, it appears the flights were logged on myairnz automatically, just awaiting authorisation also. So I'm sure a phone call will fix things pretty quickly for you Shazzadude
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:57 pm

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by Rebound
Shouldn't have slept in on the SDR to MEL

Haha yes, good call. That sleep-in could possibly have cost me requalifying, lol
Old Sep 5, 2011, 3:08 pm

Came back from BNE on a DJ flight yesterday.
It was booked as a Works fare so expected something a little like NZ.
Check in was fine, someone crusiing the lines checking that only the appropriate people in the Q, if not kicking them out.
Got seated in row 3 so not too bad.
Saw people actually do the safety briefing - unusual thought only videos available.
Then the food service - I have never had food so crappy in my life on a plane. it would have been preferable not to have actually been offered anything. it is confusing as it is not clear (to me anyway) what Works on a DJ flight is - they call it a flexi all inclusive fare.
A very cold, dry and buttered(?) lunch wrap, with small bar chocolate and bottle water, also offered tea, coffee or wine - no beer. One bite and wrap was condemned, it was absolute crap.
Digiplayer, heavy and content very limited. Boss neede 3 before got one that worked properly.
Sorry NZ and DJ but if that is the standard you want us to use, forget it. No need to get Velocity 'cos I will not fly them again. Only did it because of timing back to CHC, just have to be late in future.
Realise that NZ will not give a toss (maybe?) but will actually take time to fill in the survey this time.
May be we have been spoilt by NZ but they will really P*** people off if DJ are allowed to opearte at such a low standard compared to NZ especially if on a Works fare.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 10:09 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
wayoutwest: how did you find the seats? I found them to be very painfull & rock hard.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 10:32 pm

Seats not too bad, bit hard to start but once got "lunch" a bed of nails would have been okay - just wanted to get off.
The matter has been raised with NZ and they have indicated they will take a look and see what can be done. I made it clear that my earlier gripes (okay whinges) about Velocity matching were no longer of any concern due to my experience. Also appears that NZ will be talking to DJ and trying to get them to make it clear that you do not get SP's and APD's on all NZ flights - just like we don't here.
Will be interesting to see if I hear from DJ as I understand that NZ will be passing on my comments above and I have told them no problem if DJ want to call.
Hey after yesterday, maybe we just accept what we have got and while it could be better (like GE for me if I fly on my birthday - which I did, but never got GE) with better earn rates (keep watching) at least the food on NZ is normally edible, the crew friendly and the beer getting better, finally Speights.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 11:10 pm

Programs: Airpoints, HHONORS GOLD VIP, Aclub Gold
Originally Posted by wayoutwest
finally Speights.
^
Old Sep 6, 2011, 12:33 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Also appears that NZ will be talking to DJ and trying to get them to make it clear that you do not get SP's and APD's on all NZ flights - just like we don't here.
That sounds like an excellent enhancement.
the beer getting better, finally Speights.
Speights is an improvement, but it would be better if they brought back Monteiths to all of the lounges (even if they had to get rid of all the other beer)...
Old Sep 6, 2011, 8:16 pm

Programs: NZ Air Points (Gold Elite), Velocity (Platinum), Emirates (Gold)
Also appears that NZ will be talking to DJ and trying to get them to make it clear that you do not get SP's and APD's on all NZ flights - just like we don't here.
This isn't due to you, is it? Because it's going to annoy a lot of people.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
reposted

Last edited by serfty; Sep 6, 2011 at 9:51 pm
Old Sep 6, 2011, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by birder
This isn't due to you, is it? Because it's going to annoy a lot of people.
How could a lowly G be able to have any influence whatsoever on NZ?
No not due to me but apparently due to a lot of people saying that Velocity is easier to achieve Gold because you get SP's on all flights on NZ including GBS - that is what is being clarified that all that glitters may not be Gold and that Velocity members will not be treated better than NZ members.

Think if you look around there are a great many more people here who are directly involved with NZ and that a lot of the comments saying Velocity is better to reach Gold status have gotten back to HQ and they are moving to clarify the position with DJ.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... Also appears that NZ will be talking to DJ and trying to get them to make it clear that you do not get SP's and APD's on all NZ flights - just like we don't here. ...
Can you confirm what you mean here, especially in relation to the following: (http://www.airnzagent.co.nz/assets/a...-v2.pdf#page=9)
ACRUAL OF AIRPOINTS DOLLARS,
VELOCITY POINTS & STATUS POINTS/CREDITS

When the alliance is launched operationally
an Airpoints Member will earn Airpoints Dollars
for flying on any regularly scheduled Virgin
Australia Group of Airlines operated flight
which carry the NZ, VA or DJ code
(excluding Pacific Island flights).

Similarly Virgin Australia will offer Velocity
Points accrual benefits and Status Credits
in accordance with the rules of the Velocity
Program which carry the NZ code (excluding
Pacific Island flights).

Airpoints members must purchase an NZ
fare to earn Airpoints Status Points.
Velocity members can earn Status Credits on
the NZ or DJ fare structure.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
Can you confirm what you mean here, especially in relation to the following: (http://www.airnzagent.co.nz/assets/a...-v2.pdf#page=9)
I think wayoutwest is trying to imply that just like you don't earn Airpoints Dollars on all flights due to class code (but you may earn status points), NZ are talking to DJ so that Velocity members do not earn points on all NZ flights (probably NZ operated ones, or perhaps NZ marketed ones too, though I doubt it).

The quoted text you give simply denotes that there are opportunities to earn points when a member of Airpoints and flying either airline. It doesn't unilaterally mean it will happen all the time under all circumstances, even if we only consider paid fares. Since it doesn't specify the extents of which points/status can be earned or not earned, the actual mechanics of this can change.

Personally it wouldn't surprise me too much. Mind you, Velocity getting a deal that allows their members to earn points and status on any NZ flight (except for Pacific Island flights) is excellent in the scheme of things. *A members can hardly get squat out of NZ unless they pay high fare buckets, except for long haul.

Whilst it has been much alluded to on these forums that Velocity may be better for some instead of Airpoints especially in terms of earn, burn and status accumulation, there hasn't been a solid thread yet to suggest that NZ are not feeling comfortable with the arrangements with Velocity in light of this kind of discussion. wayoutwest, where did you get the indications that NZ might want to talk to Velocity again about status and points earn agreements for both programs?
Old Sep 6, 2011, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anat0l
The quoted text you give simply denotes that there are opportunities to earn points when a member of Airpoints and flying either airline. It doesn't unilaterally mean it will happen all the time under all circumstances, even if we only consider paid fares. Since it doesn't specify the extents of which points/status can be earned or not earned, the actual mechanics of this can change. ...
If that was the case it should state "CAN earn" or "MAY earn". It doesn't - it specifically states "WILL earn".
When the alliance is launched operationally
an Airpoints Member will earn Airpoints Dollars
for flying on any regularly scheduled Virgin
Australia Group of Airlines operated flight
which carry the NZ, VA or DJ code
(excluding Pacific Island flights).
This is an AirNZ publication, not a DJ one. I even received a copy in the mail.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
If that was the case it should state "CAN earn" or "MAY earn". It doesn't - it specifically states "WILL earn".This is an AirNZ publication, not a DJ one. I even received a copy in the mail.
Well, it's right. You will earn points etc. if you fly on any regular scheduled flight (except for Pacific Island flights) as long as you have the correct class code. For Airpoints members they know the limits, and for Velocity members right now it's anything.

By extension of the semantics, the text could be read in that award flights would earn either points or status. After all, it is just another ticket for a regularly scheduled flight. But we know that that can't and doesn't happen.

Now we are just splitting hairs, but even funnier is that the paragraph you have selected refers to Airpoints members. Airpoints members already can't earn any Airpoints Dollars on DJ Saver Trans-Tasman fares, although ironically they get some if they fly DJ Australian domestic flights (even Saver fares). So in a sense Airpoints members are already being "stiffed" in this alliance (although the opportunity is supposed to be better than not being there at all). The text you provided doesn't additionally talk about what the alliance means for Velocity members - that's for Velocity and Virgin Australia to decide (ultimately, in spite of and/or as a result of any pressure or discussions with NZ).
Old Sep 6, 2011, 10:39 pm

See here for status earning with Velocity when flying on NZ
http://www.velocityrewards.com.au/co...lass/index.htm

See here for Velocity points earning when flying on NZ
http://www.velocityrewards.com.au/co...rn/index.htm#5

You will see very limited chances on domestic flights, just like now for NZ members

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.