Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Air New Zealand / Virgin Australia Trans-Tasman Alliance Information

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2011, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Some interesting information here.

Looks like good news on lounge access.

Brochure here.

Interestingly.

Air New Zealand will be introducing a new Airpoints earning structure later this year which will allow Airpoints members to earn Airpoints Dollars on all The Works and Works Deluxe products including on Smart Saver fares.

As an interim offer for new bookings for travel on trans-Tasman flights from August, 5 Airpoints Dollars will be earned on any The Works Smart Saver fares and 10 Airpoints Dollars will be earned on Works Deluxe Smart Saver fares.
Interesting Airpoints members must purchase a NZ code fare for status earn, but Velocity fares earn status with DJ or NZ code - Star Alliance status rule driven?

A few Pacific Islands exceptions, suspect this is competition authority driven.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 7:35 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
It seems the launch date is 26 July. I have DJ flights on 20 and 21 July. Going to just miss it.

Also it looks like if you don't need Star Gold, Velocity will be the better program to belong. As a DJ Gold member, you don't need to purchase a bag when travelling on the cheapest fares (this ironically is more in line with Star Gold policy). You also get status credit regardless of flight number.

If DJ ever join Star Alliance, I know I won't hesitate to jump ship.

Last edited by Xiaotung; Jul 1, 2011 at 7:40 am
Old Jul 1, 2011, 2:14 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
So if I read if right,

If i booked SYD-MEL-SYD as a side trip on a DJ code I'll get APD and Lounge Access?

I don't get why NZ can't issues DJ boarding passes? is DJ IT Systems that bad?

Last edited by cavemanzk; Jul 1, 2011 at 2:27 pm
Old Jul 1, 2011, 10:11 pm

Programs: QF Gold
If I booked a BNE-SYD flight on it's own with DJ, as an NZ Gold would I get lounge access?
Old Jul 1, 2011, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Shazzadude
If I booked a BNE-SYD flight on it's own with DJ, as an NZ Gold would I get lounge access?
Answer is yes. Only DJ Pacific Islands flights are excluded.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
So if I read if right,

If i booked SYD-MEL-SYD as a side trip on a DJ code I'll get APD and Lounge Access?

I don't get why NZ can't issues DJ boarding passes? is DJ IT Systems that bad?
I think it says very clearly that DJ domestic flights are eligible to earn Airpoints however it doesn't say whether all booking classes are eligible to earn or not. There are some really cheap DJ fares out there (eg, AU$55) and according to the Airpoints partner earn chart the minimum you could earn is 10 Airpoints Dollars which seems too good to be true.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 12:04 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
I think it says very clearly that DJ domestic flights are eligible to earn Airpoints however it doesn't say whether all booking classes are eligible to earn or not. There are some really cheap DJ fares out there (eg, AU$55) and according to the Airpoints partner earn chart the minimum you could earn is 10 Airpoints Dollars which seems too good to be true.
Almost make me want to book one everytime I make a trip to Aussie now. Note the works fares booked from August in on the TT only $5
Old Jul 2, 2011, 4:48 am

Programs: NZ*E
That's good! I have confirmation from AirNZ end of June that I can use VA lounge as *G.

I am now interested if I could earn any Status points on the 2 VA flights I will take beginning Aug =) I am only on booking class S and I cannot assume any APD with that =P
Old Jul 2, 2011, 5:04 am

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Airpoints members must purchase an NZ fare to earn Airpoints Status Points.
Velocity members can earn Status Credits on the NZ or DJ fare structure.

:/
Old Jul 2, 2011, 7:53 am

Programs: NZ*GE
I suspect I am being a bit dim here but to earn airpoints on Virgin flights do I have to have purchased the Virgin flight in conjunction with an AirNZ TT ticket, as one PNR?
If say I arrive in Oz on another carrier and have purchased a Virgin ticket for an internal Oz flight then I get no airpoints, but can I still use the Virgin lounges and get my NZ status recognised for xtra bags etc?
Old Jul 2, 2011, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by flykiwifly
I suspect I am being a bit dim here but to earn airpoints on Virgin flights do I have to have purchased the Virgin flight in conjunction with an AirNZ TT ticket, as one PNR?
If say I arrive in Oz on another carrier and have purchased a Virgin ticket for an internal Oz flight then I get no airpoints, but can I still use the Virgin lounges and get my NZ status recognised for xtra bags etc?
If I read it correctly, you will get Airpoints on DJ domestic flights regardless of where you purchase the ticket from, provided the booking class is eligible to earn of course. And you will have lounge access and extra baggage allowance as well. This also extends to VA flights but as far as trans-Tasman flights go, you will need a NZ number to get extra baggage.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 2:45 pm

All seems a better deal for Velocity than AP members.
They get free checked bag, NZ don't.
They get SP on all flights, NZ don't
Do they get NZ lounge access regadless of what flight they on? Not too clear

But overall a continuation of the down ward path taken by NZ since about April last year.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 1:11 pm
TIV

Originally Posted by Aerosett

Brochure here.

Interestingly.

Interesting Airpoints members must purchase a NZ code fare for status earn, but Velocity fares earn status with DJ or NZ code - Star Alliance status rule driven?

Air New Zealand will be introducing a new Airpoints earning structure later this year which will allow Airpoints members to earn Airpoints Dollars on all The Works and Works Deluxe products including on Smart Saver fares.

As an interim offer for new bookings for travel on trans-Tasman flights from August, 5 Airpoints Dollars will be earned on any The Works Smart Saver fares and 10 Airpoints Dollars will be earned on Works Deluxe Smart Saver fares.

That can only mean that NZ will be raising the price on award tickets!
Old Jul 4, 2011, 2:31 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9650; en-GB) AppleWebKit/534.1+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.431 Mobile Safari/534.1+)

Originally Posted by TIV
Originally Posted by Aerosett

Brochure here.

Interestingly.

That can only mean that NZ will be raising the price on award tickets!
Without completely changing the Airpoints program, the only way they could increase award ticket costs is by raising fares...
Old Jul 4, 2011, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by ajnz
Without completely changing the Airpoints program, the only way they could increase award ticket costs is by raising fares...
... which they can already do ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.