Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FB Silver and Gold benefits "evolving" from 28 March

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2023, 9:54 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by etiene
That depends entirely upon the number of Golds who were previously refusing to pay even with a discount - I see no particular reason to assume that this change inevitably means EC will be full to the brim.
At last we will know how many plats and golds are on your average 777
etiene likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 3:14 pm

Programs: FB Plat, *A Gold
Originally Posted by CyBeR
Greedy from KL.

Silvers are barely impacted -- they always had to pay, the only difference is now they have to pay 25% more which is a pretty marginal difference if you ask me, except I suppose at the very highest-end of the spectrum of EC pricing where it can be around €25 or so.

Golds are fine on short-haul where, just before the 72hr window opens, the EC seating tends to be expanded from one row (which is invariable already at least partially taken at that time by paid or plat customers) to whatever rows they can fit behind the C cabin, and usually ample seating is available. So golds now simply wait out the 72hr mark and select an EC seat for free.

The problem however is long haul. These seats are static (they don't adjust to C cabin size as all cabins are fixed) and, owing to the much longer flight durations, much more popular than they are on short haul where many (non-status) people don't consider the extra expense worth it for the short duration of the flight. So for those flights, golds may want to purchase the seat anyway instead of waiting, to be assured of one, and they now have to pay double what they used to.
There is however a problem for plats as well on short haul.
As you wrote, at T-72 additional EC seats open up. So I used to move myself from a full row 6-7 (chosen when making reservation) to an empty row 3-4. For the outbound it still can be done, but then the seatmap blocks for both flights due to "pending payment" and no more changes can be made.
Only during checkin for the inbound I can change my seat (row 6-7) if there are any available, since 2 days earlier Gold can choose already those seats. Not really customer friendly towards plats.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 12:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by westi2002
There is however a problem for plats as well on short haul.
As you wrote, at T-72 additional EC seats open up. So I used to move myself from a full row 6-7 (chosen when making reservation) to an empty row 3-4. For the outbound it still can be done, but then the seatmap blocks for both flights due to "pending payment" and no more changes can be made.
Only during checkin for the inbound I can change my seat (row 6-7) if there are any available, since 2 days earlier Gold can choose already those seats. Not really customer friendly towards plats.
I’m not Plat, but this isn’t my experience. Firstly - at least for my wife’s flights this Friday which is the first time I’ve been paying attention - the curtain moved at the beginning of the day Tuesday (probably midnight but I was only looking in the morning) - so before T-72. Not sure if this is the standard though. Secondly, I’ve not seen the “pending payment” thing - but have noticed that once check-in is open for the first flight there appear to be two different routes to the seat map. The outbound is through the check-in flow, whereas the inbound is as normal from the reservation page (referring to the iOS app). I’ve certainly never had an issue getting to the seat map for the inbound after taking the outbound, so maybe tapping around will bypass your issues - hope that helps.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 2:15 pm

I’m not Plat, but this isn’t my experience. Firstly - at least for my wife’s flights this Friday which is the first time I’ve been paying attention - the curtain moved at the beginning of the day Tuesday (probably midnight but I was only looking in the morning) - so before T-72. Not sure if this is the standard though. Secondly, I’ve not seen the “pending payment” thing - but have noticed that once check-in is open for the first flight there appear to be two different routes to the seat map. The outbound is through the check-in flow, whereas the inbound is as normal from the reservation page (referring to the iOS app). I’ve certainly never had an issue getting to the seat map for the inbound after taking the outbound, so maybe tapping around will bypass your issues - hope that helps.
The additional seats become available somewhere in the night before T-72, that's indeed the standard. The pending payment you will see at check-in, there will be no option to change the seat or to buy an upgrade.

Just arrived from outbound, see screenshot for inbound, no possibility to click on seat assignment to open seat map. Screen on the Andriod app is similar, no option to click on the seat. So maybe only iOS version allows to change seats?
Old Apr 20, 2023, 2:29 pm

The additional seats become available somewhere in the night before T-72, that's indeed the standard. The pending payment you will see at check-in, there will be no option to change the seat or to buy an upgrade.

Just arrived from outbound, see screenshot for inbound, no possibility to click on seat assignment to open seat map. Screen on the Andriod app is similar, no option to click on the seat. So maybe only iOS version allows to change seats?
Oh wow. So the upgrades are now gone?

That's indeed an evolution...
Old Apr 20, 2023, 5:42 pm

The option to change seats is often locked out, presumably when the a certain percentage of seats selected is reached (there is some disagreement on this being the reason, however, no one knows for sure). Normally you're able to change seats just fine even after selecting one or OLCI opening.

Upgrades (with which I assume you mean selecting a business class seat as if it were a paid seat option) are not gone.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 1:50 am

Just checked my wife's flight on iOS - she's not checked-in for outbound so a little different, but I can certainly still get to the seat map for the inbound. iOS app again.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 6:18 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
I was easily able to obtain an EC seat at T-72 and could see OLCI upgrade options at OLCI with my Android phone. Return flight.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 2:51 pm

Just checked my wife's flight on iOS - she's not checked-in for outbound so a little different, but I can certainly still get to the seat map for the inbound. iOS app again.
Just did check-in for my inbound flight: not even possible to change my seat during check-in, no upgrade possibility. Stuck at row 7.

Old Apr 22, 2023, 4:19 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
At roughly T-68 before my inbound flight I cannot do anything about my seat. I am at the only available EC row when I booked at least, but usually I could move a bit forward when J seats were converted to EC around 3 days in advance. Let us see what happens at check in.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by atflyer
At roughly T-68 before my inbound flight I cannot do anything about my seat. I am at the only available EC row when I booked at least, but usually I could move a bit forward when J seats were converted to EC around 3 days in advance. Let us see what happens at check in.
Same here, but 5 days before the flight. It’s interesting because I have another flight with AF in 48h and I can still see the seatmap and change the seat, but the one I have with KLM in 5 days went rogue as soon as I changed one of the seats from one row to another. Now it doesn’t allow me to see the seatmap at all on any of the flights in the booking, not just the one I changed the seat on.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 3:57 am

Just did check-in for my inbound flight: not even possible to change my seat during check-in, no upgrade possibility. Stuck at row 7.
How odd. I just checked again now that she's flown the outbound [for which I successfully got her into EC] and I can see the seat map just fine. This is a pre change booking, so she's in a Front Standard seat for free right now which means I'm not going to try moving her - but we've had this situation many times and I've never had an issue. [Again: all iOS app].
Old Apr 23, 2023, 9:40 am

Programs: FB Plat

I just had the same experience. I often move myself around as they adjust the cabin for short-haul...but I ran into the payment pending issue every since the outbound. I also was unable to change my seat at a check-in kiosk. Never ran into this before.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 11:21 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum for Life, AccorLiveLimitless Platinum, Qatar Airways Gold
Hier the same as well. I had changed my outbound seat 1 1/2weeks ago, when more seats opened up on a short hall flight. When I took the flight at no point could I change the seat after that, on any device.
For the inbound I wanted to change as well, also not possible since changing the outbound. What I had done approx 48 hours before departure was make a dummy booking and see what is available, then contact KLM through whatsapp. They replied within 10 minutes and moved me further forward.
They did not know what the issue was.

Also cannot change the seat on an inbound flight from Canada in September, don't know if that has the same issue.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Brendan88
What I had done approx 48 hours before departure was make a dummy booking and see what is available, then contact KLM through whatsapp. They replied within 10 minutes and moved me further forward.
Good idea, let's try that for the time being.

In the end I didn't need the seatmap, when dropping off my luggage I ended up on 2A with no neighbour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.