Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FB Silver and Gold benefits "evolving" from 28 March

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2023, 2:55 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
The news is that fees for paid seats are abolished as from T-72 (Gold)/T-24 (Silver).

I'm not sure how one arrives at the scenario. When they give you something that previously involved a fee for free, that doesn't mean that what was previously free now involves a fee?
I think it's a valid question, as non-elites do have to pay a fee for regular seats if they choose them before check-in. The wording in the FB announcement is not very clear, they could have gone a lot further to clarify what is NOT changing to avoid any doubt.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Tim_94
The wording in the FB announcement is not very clear, they could have gone a lot further to clarify what is NOT changing to avoid any doubt.
It's probably safe to assume that anything not mentioned is not changing at this time.
hhdl and Tim_94 like this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 3:33 am

Maybe they'll finally be upgrading Platinum members to Business as a matter of routine if there is space available, like Delta do for STE/E+ (at least that's what DL often do for domestic flights, I was upgraded many times even as Flying Blue Silver!)

My partner has been Platinum for 4 years now and has only had 1 upgrade (on a short-haul flight) in this time.
Dream on, that will never happen, they only do it in case of irrops
Old Mar 6, 2023, 3:42 am
Flying Blue Director

This is my fear, too. I've emailed Flying Blue this morning to ask for more clarity, will report back once I hear from them.

I fear they may be giving with one hand while taking away with the other. If nothing is free before the "3 day before departure" window opens, it's a massive devaluation of the programme and forces elites to pay in order to have some certainty regarding seating - just like non-elites! The opening up of Economy Comfort is a nice benefit for me as a Gold member, but I would want to be sure I have my regular "front section" seat confirmed at the time of booking just in case I can't get one of these spots 3 days before departure!
Nothing changing for standard seat selection. The only difference is that we are replacing the discount model with a 'day before departure' model, like many other airlines. It is true that Silvers will unfortunately lose access to discounted Y+ however Golds now have complimentary access to all chargeable seats, including Y+, within 3 days of departure. For Platinum members, their previous '100% discount' becomes 'complimentary at time of booking.'

The email announcing these changes should go out shortly.
Gajan, KL803, Goldorak and 9 others like this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 3:46 am

I had a meeting back in November with KL/AF, they asked for my feedback.

Regarding this new initiative, I told them it is always welcome to enhance the content of each FB level benefit, but on the other hand then the integrity of Platinum status should be also maintained. Because apart from the PSL, there isn't really a big benefit between Gold and Platinum.
- You earn 16,6% more miles compared to Gold
- You have the PSL
- You have an option to be Plat for life after being Plat for 10 consecutive years
- You can select Y+ seats at time of booking.

Is that really 120XP or 66% more XP's worth?

So I said that Platinum level should get also new benefits, I suggested change award tickets free of charge, more award seats available in J compared to Silver and Gold, an upgrade certificate for long haul (2 for Ulti), 50% discount on festive meals. Just as some proposals.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
What are these festive meals, and how come I've never had one?
Old Mar 6, 2023, 3:56 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by irishguy28
What are these festive meals, and how come I've never had one?
You never had a sucré/salé feast, with double serving ?
Old Mar 6, 2023, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
Nothing changing for standard seat selection. The only difference is that we are replacing the discount model with a 'day before departure' model, like many other airlines. It is true that Silvers will unfortunately lose access to discounted Y+ however Golds now have complimentary access to all chargeable seats, including Y+, within 3 days of departure. For Platinum members, their previous '100% discount' becomes 'complimentary at time of booking.'

Thank you for clarifying, very reassuring!
Old Mar 6, 2023, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey

Thanks for clarifying, Ben! I'm aware you cannot drop an announcement here, but are the plans for the Plat upgrades (the exciting and fun ones ) still on track for the next months?
Old Mar 27, 2023, 11:58 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, AY Silver
Originally Posted by curiousexplorer
Gold members:
  • Benefit from complimentary seat options 3 days before departure (DBD), instead of a discounted fare
  • Economy Comfort cabin becomes free when requesting it 3 days before departure, instead of a discounted fare.
I can't seem to select an Economy Comfort seat for free for mrs clifford79 even though her (return) flight is within the 3d window now. Has this not been activated yet, or am I doing something wrong?
Old Mar 29, 2023, 1:50 pm

Today I could pick an Economy Comfort seat as a FB Gold member for free. These seats changed to "FREE" at 72 hours before the scheduled departure time and everything worked perfectly in the KLM app.

However, since selecting my new seat, I've noticed that the KLM app and website are not letting me change the seat again! In the app it says "not available", and on the website the seat details are no longer clickable. Has anyone else experienced this??
Old Mar 29, 2023, 2:00 pm

Today I could pick an Economy Comfort seat as a FB Gold member for free. These seats changed to "FREE" at 72 hours before the scheduled departure time and everything worked perfectly in the KLM app.

However, since selecting my new seat, I've noticed that the KLM app and website are not letting me change the seat again! In the app it says "not available", and on the website the seat details are no longer clickable. Has anyone else experienced this??
Just speculation,
​Maby plat can move up until departure, but gold has to stick with it's first choice?
Old Mar 29, 2023, 2:04 pm

Programs: Fying Blue Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Silver Elite, Hilton Silver

Happened to me. I wonder if I can select another seat during online checkin.
Tim_94 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Stil
Just speculation,
​Maby plat can move up until departure, but gold has to stick with it's first choice?
If that's true, things are getting seriously petty now!
Old Mar 29, 2023, 4:13 pm

I am not sure if it's a feature or a bug. It happened to me several times to not be able to select/change a seat as a Platinum the days before departure, showing "not available". Haven't found any pattern yet.
Stil likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.