Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Platinum Effect

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2023, 12:05 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by maalloc
Keep in mind that blocked seats do not prevent a cabin from being fully sold… in which case you end up with a last-minute, forgot-to-OLCI, status-less seatmate.

That happens a lot.
That is ok and more than reasonable, it’s a risk you take by default when in economy. But knowing that if the flight is not fully booked you will have an empty middle seat is a great bonus. On my recent flights only 1 in 4 was fully booked, with the others almost full but with a few middle seats blocked, so all good.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 1:41 am

Programs: FB Plat, *A Silver, Volare Exec (LOL), some hotels (Gold)
flew CDG-LIN yesterday, plane half full, yet no middle seat blocked in eco.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by maalloc
Keep in mind that blocked seats do not prevent a cabin from being fully sold… in which case you end up with a last-minute, forgot-to-OLCI, status-less seatmate.

That happens a lot.
That happens to me all the time...
Old Feb 5, 2023, 2:43 am

Programs: FB platinum
I'm not sure if this falls in the "platinum effect" but it's certainly a first for me in 7+ years of being (mostly) platinum:
My flight from Orly to Toulouse for this Tuesday got cancelled because of the strikes, and I was proactively called by the platinum Line yesterday morning, less than 24 hours after getting the notification, to check if the rebooked flight was ok or if I wanted to take another one.
As my plans had changed since I booked this a few months ago, I was hoping anyway to go-show on an earlier flight (abonné fare), but with the strike, being able to rebook on the right flight is much safer and was granted easily
Escape, Goldorak and SkyteamEP like this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
I'm travelling with a gold member in Y soon and I am not seeing the middle seat being blocked.

On AF it will let us select the window + aisle, but the middle is still selectable too.
We got puhed back 1 row already and autonatically reassigned to window + middle, which I changed again to window + aisle.

When I try do a dummy booking it does not let me select front row seats at all (not even with paying) so at least it looks like these are reserved for elites.

On KL the system is actively blocking us from doing a window + aisle on the same row. You just have to take the middle seat...
Old Feb 5, 2023, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
I'm travelling with a gold member in Y soon and I am not seeing the middle seat being blocked.

On AF it will let us select the window + aisle, but the middle is still selectable too.
We got puhed back 1 row already and autonatically reassigned to window + middle, which I changed again to window + aisle.

When I try do a dummy booking it does not let me select front row seats at all (not even with paying) so at least it looks like these are reserved for elites.

On KL the system is actively blocking us from doing a window + aisle on the same row. You just have to take the middle seat...
New rule for seat selection on AF/KL
Old Feb 6, 2023, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Thanks, have added my thoughts about this system to that other thread...

Still seems that seat next to me isn't being blocked when I book in Y, contrary to what others have claimed in this thread, who were also travelling with a companion. Maybe it should only apply when you travel alone and they just fixed a bug with companions?
Old Feb 6, 2023, 2:28 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum for Life, AccorLiveLimitless Platinum, Qatar Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
Thanks, have added my thoughts about this system to that other thread...

Still seems that seat next to me isn't being blocked when I book in Y, contrary to what others have claimed in this thread, who were also travelling with a companion. Maybe it should only apply when you travel alone and they just fixed a bug with companions?
Traveled last week with 4 pax (2plat 1explorer 1 infant) on one booking, booking was made in Nov. At that time no seat blocking. In Jan flight was changed, after that no seat blocking. Then at OLCI changed seats and the seat was blocked next to me. 1.5h before boarding seat was still blocked and only one other seat was available. At boarding seat was taken as the flight was 100% full.
So possibly they did change something recently.
Maestro Ramen likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 2:45 pm

Had 3 recent (shorthaul) flights in Y (one KLC, two KL). No recognition. Seat next to me (in comfort) was blocked(?) or at least not available till 1h30 before boarding. In all cases, I ended up having somebody next to me (on the KLC flight was a crew, so perhaps last minute check-in). I did notice that there were 1-3 more empty seats, not sure if these pax. were also platinum (or sth else).
Maestro Ramen likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 3:07 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
Flew MEX-CDG in W Friday evening. Got greeted by a senior staff member and was proactively offered beverages from J class throughout the flight. Even refills on wine during dinner. Very impressed with that on an otherwise underwhelming inflight experience (What on Earth has happened to catering on AF!?)
Old Feb 13, 2023, 5:04 am

Programs: FB Plat, *A Silver, Volare Exec (LOL), some hotels (Gold)
MXP-CDG yesterday, nice touch.

seat next to me blocked (was on the A220, left row with only two seats), the plane was not full.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 2:38 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
CDG-LBV in W last week.
Usual Plat talk plus Champagne from J during meal.
The crew kept a few 4-seat rows of Y empty and proposed Platinum flyers to take one to sleep.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Azeotrope
CDG-LBV in W last week.
Usual Plat talk plus Champagne from J during meal.
The crew kept a few 4-seat rows of Y empty and proposed Platinum flyers to take one to sleep.
looks like a Ultimate treatment 👍😉
Old Feb 22, 2023, 9:34 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Good lady and me are both platinum for over 5 years with almost enough XP’s in the bank to take us to PFL (if scheme rules stay the same). Yesterday, whilst returning from our 5th weekend away this year, we were welcomed by the note attached pinned to the seat back in front of us. Nice recognition which was followed up by an offer of a little champagne.

Old Feb 22, 2023, 10:53 am

Just landed in Paris after 14 hours SIN-CDG in W. A welcome card as well as a personal and well meant welcome. The purser went above and beyond to make the trip as good as possible despite the terrible aircraft (extremely old B77W). The cabin was nearly falling apart. Seat was malfunctioning and also IFE screen stopped working 3 hours prior departure.
Despite this, had a really nice flight. Got espresso and champagne from J, multiple personal approaches if I needed something and felt that everything was possible. Never felt so appreciated and welcome on a flight.

The crew makes or breaks the flight really.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.