The Platinum Effect

Old Feb 22, 2023, 4:24 pm

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y1)
Originally Posted by Billyfergus
Good lady and me are both platinum for over 5 years with almost enough XP’s in the bank to take us to PFL (if scheme rules stay the same). Yesterday, whilst returning from our 5th weekend away this year, we were welcomed by the note attached pinned to the seat back in front of us. Nice recognition which was followed up by an offer of a little champagne.
I really wonder what it is that triggers them to write these things. Is it amount of surplus XP? Amount of years platinum? Flights taken in the last 12 months? Or just completely at will of the FA?
Old Feb 22, 2023, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
I'll let you know when I get one.

Given that I only fly hard discount J and moderate discount Y, that might be never
jerry_greece and b12e like this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 8:44 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, BA Bronze, Ex-skywards Platnium
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
I'll let you know when I get one.

Given that I only fly hard discount J and moderate discount Y, that might be never
Became FB Plat not that long ago and I also have yet to get any of these perks .

For me, though, the service on AF/KL is like special treatment in general because AF/KL's service is usually much more proactive and the FAs are usually more friendly compared to flying in the US. Luckily, more of my trips are going abroad starting from this year, so any of these touches can only make things better.
miles4CDG and Bullspread like this.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 12:35 am

Programs: AF, BA, SK, Marriott & Hilton
Originally Posted by b12e
I really wonder what it is that triggers them to write these things. Is it amount of surplus XP? Amount of years platinum? Flights taken in the last 12 months? Or just completely at will of the FA?
This is the FA's will...

Crew does not see surplus XP, amount of years plat (only see Plat or PFL for example), flights taken in last 12 years on their pads.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 1:26 am

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
Originally Posted by physicsdude
Became FB Plat not that long ago and I also have yet to get any of these perks .

For me, though, the service on AF/KL is like special treatment in general because AF/KL's service is usually much more proactive and the FAs are usually more friendly compared to flying in the US.
I only know Delta well, but their FA's are usually quite friendly and attentive.

Last edited by wuzziduzziman; Feb 23, 2023 at 2:16 am
Old Feb 23, 2023, 2:13 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by supersympa
This is the FA's will...

Crew does not see surplus XP, amount of years plat (only see Plat or PFL for example), flights taken in last 12 years on their pads.
I was once told that I have so much miles in my account from the purser, so they can see something. I believe they can dig in if you inquire upgrade on board? but in my case the purser was just curious about me
Old Feb 23, 2023, 2:19 am

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
Originally Posted by supersympa
This is the FA's will...

Crew does not see surplus XP
They do, on a first glance. When they pull you up, they have an icon with info about your status, number of XP's and miles.
Maestro Ramen likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 2:31 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by 747jetter
I was once told that I have so much miles in my account from the purser, so they can see something. I believe they can dig in if you inquire upgrade on board? but in my case the purser was just curious about me
They do have access to pretty much everything, as it’s a common occurrence to have the purser comment on miles stashed, and past/future trips.

Not sure about XP, as it never came up during chitchat… but maybe it’s because they have no idea what they mean
Old Feb 23, 2023, 2:33 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by maalloc
They do have access to pretty much everything, as it’s a common occurrence to have the purser comment on miles stashed, and past/future trips.

Not sure about XP, as it never came up during chitchat… but maybe it’s because they have no idea what they mean
Yeah my girlfriend sitting next to me as gold was told that she must fly quiet a lot too...little do they know that gold is just a few flights if you schedule it well to max the xp
Old Feb 23, 2023, 6:33 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
Originally Posted by b12e
My impression is that the probability to receive such a note is the highest when its the first leg of the crew (at least that was the last two times I found such a card on my seat). And it's completely up to the crew when and to whom they write such a note. AFAIK the policy is to not write too many cards. It shall be a surprise once in a while and not become standard.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 10:45 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I've received a message like that in the past as well...as did the rest of the C cabin. So my impression was that its just the crew taking the initiative.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 12:19 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
I had a wonderful flight in J to GRU recently where a charming AF purser did the rounds, personally greeting and making chit chat with every single passenger in the cabin. He told me: "It's thanks to you I get to do the job I love".
Old Feb 24, 2023, 1:39 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by Billyfergus
Good lady and me are both platinum for over 5 years with almost enough XP’s in the bank to take us to PFL (if scheme rules stay the same). Yesterday, whilst returning from our 5th weekend away this year, we were welcomed by the note attached pinned to the seat back in front of us. Nice recognition which was followed up by an offer of a little champagne.
Same here on a AF J flight Bogota-Paris last year (note was in French). Champagne came later as for all J pax. George Clooney up in the air flashbacks...
Billyfergus likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 4:18 pm
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

I don't open such notes left for me, I am always avoiding being served.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 2:41 am

Recently got an operational upgrade from Y to C, long haul flight, I was pleasantly surprised, the passenger next to me in C also got the op-up, both platinum. The flight was sold out, they were looking for volunteers to stay behind for one day.
Maestro Ramen and b12e like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.