FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue-594/)
-   -   The Platinum Effect (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue/2078402-platinum-effect.html)

Maestro Ramen May 6, 2022 9:42 am

The Platinum Effect

So.... I unlocked plat for the first time at some point in March (thanks to covid status freeze and bonus XP!)

On my first Y flight after the new status, which was a BCN-CDG, Whilst still on the ground, the flight attendant came to my seat to greet me by name, ask me how I was, if I needed anything.

I asked for a glass of water if that's alright, and not only she kindly obliged but also extended the offer for a glass of water to my 2 unknown seat mates out of courtesy (which was very kind and made it so i didn't feel awkward). The plane was 100% full.

She came frequently past in mid flight and made sure I had my drink filled up, offered a couple snacks. Then when i tried to squeeze past the cart to go to the rear lav she begged me to use the biz WC instead.

And on exit again a very warm goodbye, asked if flight was alright, greeted me by name as well etc...

I thought to myself: "Wow, what an absolute world of difference between gold and plat. I really could get used to that level of service".

..... have taken maybe 6 Y flights since. Not even a single acknowledgement 🥲

lynxy May 6, 2022 10:00 am

Yes, based on my experience, it seems that when you go up in level, they receive a request to make you feel welcome (I remember this kind of interactions in my TATL flight after becoming Gold in 2015). But after that there is nothing special anymore :D

Fabo.sk May 6, 2022 10:50 am

Originally Posted by lynxy (Post 34226687)
Yes, based on my experience, it seems that when you go up in level, they receive a request to make you feel welcome (I remember this kind of interactions in my TATL flight after becoming Gold in 2015). But after that there is nothing special anymore :D

I got an op-up from Y to J on my first flight after reaching Gold. I haven't gone for Plat so can't comment on that step.

maalloc May 6, 2022 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk (Post 34226814)
I got an op-up from Y to J on my first flight after reaching Gold. I haven't gone for Plat so can't comment on that step.

Several people here (myself included) reported being upgraded in their early Gold days…. And that op-ups basically stop when reaching Platinum.

Don’t expect them on more than 1% of the flights. Personal greeting and glass of water can be more frequent but shouldn’t be taken for granted. Heck, even platinum ultimates can travel as « nobodies », with zero recognition whatsoever…

BobTL May 7, 2022 12:40 am

There is no consistency in being upgraded or being recognized as a Platinum member. I have been platinum now for 6 years and op ups happened only when I had a fairly expensive Y ticket but other than that, the op ups are scarce. Funnily enough I got a op up on an relatively empty Y flight to J, albeit short haul on KL. My original Y seat stayed empty so I don’t see the reasoning behind it.
I saw yesterday that 2 standby pax (KL staff) got the last 2 remaining J seats while there was space in Y. So if you are on a flight with high amount of KL staff that are flying privately then the chances on op ups are slim.
On long haul AF flights I often (nearly always) get recognition and wine or champagne from J being offered. I think that is truly a wonderful gesture and doesn’t cost them anything.

b12e May 8, 2022 10:08 am

My last Y flight the FA consistently greeted me by my surname, on board and while leaving the 777. I didn't notice her doing that to anyone else in my vicinity.

But in general, I expect nothing and get nothing.

Slc2012 May 8, 2022 10:39 am

Originally Posted by BobTL (Post 34228527)
On long haul AF flights I often (nearly always) get recognition and wine or champagne from J being offered. I think that is truly a wonderful gesture and doesn’t cost them anything.

On AF flight to US, I have done my first Long Haul flight after the COVID period (I hope) two weeks ago. As Platinum member, I received no recognition: no special salutations, no glass of wine from J. I was considering as a “standard” passenger.
Before, in the past before the COVID period, AF personnel came to ask if the flight was going well. Not anymore for me.

Escape May 10, 2022 2:32 am

On KLM in WBC I’ve recently had that the FA approached me pre-departure to check what I wanted to have for dinner ahead of the other passengers.

Maestro Ramen May 10, 2022 2:54 am

I find it a bit cheap that they're doing this on purpose to first time upgraded passengers... Surely that's just setting us up for disappointment? Why deliberately set expectations high when you know you won't be able to keep it up.

I had initially thought that I just happened to be lucky to come across some extra attentive crew on my first flight, but now with your responses I feel cheated :mad:

remymartin May 10, 2022 3:27 am

Yesterday on a short haul flight in Y an hour prior to arrival one of the FAs came over, greeted me and asked if I wanted a glass of champagne or something else. I thanked her for her great suggestion and asked if I could have the cookie box as well. Another platinum sitting nearby had the same chat. Nice touch!

Xandrios May 10, 2022 7:43 am

Had a KL flight this weekend, first time flying Economy since being upgraded to plat. No recognition whatsoever.

danfl44 May 10, 2022 8:32 am

Recently, I quite often get some extra attention on KL in shorthaul Y - drinks or a meal from J, a little chat etc. Also for the person I am traveling with. It's not the norm, and not consistent, but decently often and always appreciated! :)

hagi May 15, 2022 8:05 am

Been platinum for three years and got two upgrades to business so far but only on overbooked intra-european flights. Quite often gey greeted and offered a special something on long-haul AF flights, however.

Maestro Ramen Sep 30, 2022 9:04 am

PMI-CDG

2 pax behind me decided to upgrade themselves to J. The FA told them to move to which they said "yeah yeah" and then didn't.

The other FA brought them both a bottle of water.

I got nothing 🥸

johan rebel Sep 30, 2022 3:13 pm

So the second FA forgot to tell the first that they were friends or family?

Johan