Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Platinum Effect

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2023, 1:52 pm

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y2)
Originally Posted by jerry_greece
Pretty sure has been discussed before but has anybody tried (as Plat) to get on an earlier flight (for free) at the airport? I am specifically looking for a long connection XXX-CDG-AMS and whether possible to get on an earlier CDG-AMS (out of the plenty)?
I had a CUR-AMS-CDG-CPH flight and tried to get on an earlier AMS->CDG while at AMS, but no luck.

never tried beside that one time. Asked in Lounge25 and the agent did ask around but was unable to make it happen.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 2:14 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Plat
Originally Posted by 747jetter
Never tried it with AF but possible with KL but at the gate. Depends on the agent anyway.
As others have said, officially no. Asking at the lounge or rebooking counter is almost always fruitless, but if there's still availability in the same fare class (this might be difficult if it was deeply discounted), you have a direct booking, the company you booked through matches the agent (e.g. AF ticketed aka purchased on AF website, AF counter & agent) and they are friendly, they sometimes can make it happen. You're probably better off trying the plat line first.

However, I had pretty good success asking at the gate. Make sure you have a good explanation (but keep it short), be there on time (before boarding) and in case of moving it forward (instead of to the earlier flight) know the alternative route and flight numbers you'd like to have.

I really wish AFKL had a policy like Delta where same-day and forward changes are almost always possible, and usually free

Last edited by FlyingGreen; Jan 16, 2023 at 9:17 am
Old Jan 15, 2023, 2:31 pm

I was thinking of attempting it at the lounge (or transfer desk) at CDG but many seem to think going at the gate of the (earlier) flight has better chance which is not something I would think of... If i book the long connection in the end and try the re-booking will report back. thanks!
Old Jan 15, 2023, 2:44 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Goldorak
bolding is mine. You seem to imply that KL has such a policy in place and that any request at the gate will have a favorable answer if there is space available. We have to make it clear that there is no such policy, and that's likely what you meant by taking the precaution to say that it's agent-dependent. And same for AF. Can it happen, yes if they believe it can help them for their operations (e.g. you are on an overbooked flight and they are happy to free up your seat by changing your reservation). But as a principle, it is not possible to change for free unless you have a fully flexible ticket booked in the highest fare bucket.
Of course, no risk to ask at a transfer desk or at the lounge. The gate is not usually the place to ask in Europe as opposed to the US. In Europe, agents at the gate are focused on boarding operations and not on changing bookings.
I do not imply anything and I guess everybody here is aware of how it works in Europe where there is not such a policy. Is it possible? Yes, it is. Is it likely? Not much. I have tried it with AF couple of times and the answer was no (when not wanting to pay). The same with KL in the lounge or transfer desk but it worked at AMS for me at the gate. M class tickets so I believe that was the platinum effect we talk about here in this topic.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 3:07 pm

Programs: FB
Hmm. I thought the emails said the 2020 status extension counted towards PFL.
I got it to work with AF at CDG last April.
I had CPH-AMS-EDI, and at check-in, the AMS mess was bad enough, they rerouted me through CDG with a 4-hour layover and leaving out of 2E-L. Now, we arrived on time into CDG, and I had a colleague on an AF flight to EDI leaving in forty minutes out of 2E-J. I was HBO, and rather wanted to sleep than collect my 350-euro voucher. So I made the crossing into J (i didn't say which flight to Edinburgh), got up to the gate, and, after some initial confusion, the combo IRROPS, Platinum, and HBO scored me a seat in row 23.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 4:18 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
If LH can make it work (on their Flex tickets) then I don't see a particular reason why it can't be possible on AFKL.

Indeed it seems that it was offered for corporate customers at some point:
https://wwws.airfrance.es/en/informa...gne-offre-flex

I for one think that this would be a relatively low-cost, but well welcome option to offer for elites.
Squerez likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
I'm pretty sure that some airlines have "take an earlier or later flight" as a published benefit, but can't remember which. Not one I'm a member of

As far as I remember Swiss are proactive in offering this on checkin (even for non-status) if you have a GVA-ZRH connection (which they have so many of each day)

Overall it's a nice benefit, but not extraordinary. Much prefer the extra free luggage that you get with light fares, LH group pax get none of that.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 4:14 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
Overall it's a nice benefit, but not extraordinary. Much prefer the extra free luggage that you get with light fares, LH group pax get none of that.
Yes, that annoys me to no end. Figuring out if I need the bag in advance is one thing I don't like to do. And then can't do straight price comparison because if I fly with LO or previously OK light fare is fine, but for OS it has to be Classic.
(well OK is gone and LO is gone from my typical route, so at least that way there is no more problem, I just look at OS price and it is what it is )

But then I see how this could be very useful. Not that much for personal travel I don't care, but in case of business travel, I often end up finishing sooner than planned for. Would be useful to then be able to show up at the airport and maybe get home a couple hours earlier. Of course strictly on space-available basis. If not, then not, no biggie, I'll wait in the lounge.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 10:18 am

Programs: FB Gold (E+),TK Elite(*A Gold)
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
I'm pretty sure that some airlines have "take an earlier or later flight" as a published benefit, but can't remember which. Not one I'm a member of

Just to name few I have in my mind: Aegean Airlines, Brussels Airlines, SkyExpress (Greek low cost).
In the past KLM offered this on Flex tickets but now you have to pay fare difference.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by itaexpat
I was indeed wondering if blocking the seat next to a Plat was a thing — last summer I had an itinerary in which I had no one sitting next to me on 3 segments out of 4. But I didn’t know for a fact it was because of status. Sounds like it might be. This was on Air France.
I've selected a seat in Y on KLM, long haul, on Expertflyer I still see the seat as being available.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 2:40 am

Programs: FB Gold
I'm not even Platinum and had a bit of a surprise on my flight to ATL, where the chef de cabine came to my seat in Econ and did the personalised greeting after décollage and before landing (the appreciation for being a loyal customer, please let me know if you need anything, etc.....). Really appreciated that, and surprised that I got that because I am only Gold . And being francophone always helps

The crew on the ATL-bound flight was great yesterday, had a good discussion with another one of the personnel. Made up a bit for the rest of the trip going wrong (delayed flight from FRA, catastrophe at PAF, my checked bag not making it again due to the shrunken tight correspondance at CDG.......)
Old Feb 2, 2023, 3:48 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
PRG-AMS with KL in J yesterday morning, wonderful attentive service, wrote a feedback about guys as soon as I got to lounge at AMS.
3-4 hours later I got phone call from AF/KL representative thanking me for feedback. Received email few minutes later as well. On board flight to YUL, did chat with purser, nothing special, no recognition but the whole crew was awesome to everyone in the cabin.

Well I write feedbacks a lot (99% positive about crew) but never got call back.

Old Feb 2, 2023, 6:40 am

Programs: ST FB Plat, TK *A Gold
Nice gesture from KLM crew on our recent flight from BCN to AMS. My family and I (2 adults + infant) were travelling on a light fare and had seats in the very back of the plane. Upon embarking one of the crew members had recognised me (must have something to do with the iPad witchcraft and the fact that there were no other passengers boarding at the same time, as the majority had already boarded), called me out by name and offered a whole empty row in the front of standard Econ. Plane was not completely full, plenty of seats in "EC" and J, but we were nevertheless pleasantly surprised...
Old Feb 3, 2023, 2:13 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Accor Gold
I can also confirm that starting this month on all my AF flights taken together with a colleague on the same booking, the middle seat was blocked. My colleague was not able to select the seat next to me starting approx 24-48h before the flight. And the blocked nearby seat was moving with me if I was switching it around. Last year this was happening sporadically, but now it seems more consistent.

Maybe this is part of the improved Platinum benefits and they will formalise it after they finish internal testing? As long as it doesn’t come with increased qualification reqs, it would be amazing. Almost full J without the meal experience on short-haul.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 11:48 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by curiousexplorer
Almost full J without the meal experience on short-haul.
Keep in mind that blocked seats do not prevent a cabin from being fully sold… in which case you end up with a last-minute, forgot-to-OLCI, status-less seatmate.

That happens a lot.
Xandrios likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.