Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Platinum Effect

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2022, 11:26 am

Programs: FB Plat, *A Silver, Volare Exec (LOL), some hotels (Gold)
CDG-LIN, flight half full, all people moved to the front part of the economy cabin. I guess there was a technical reason but no explanation was offered. no blocked seat, acknowledgement etc.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 2:28 am

Programs: AF, BA, SK, Marriott & Hilton
ARN-CDG and CDG-ARN in Economy end of december

both flights I got recognition, with extra water bottle and attention.

On the outbound, the flight attendant even moved me from my row (as we were 3) to seat beside her in the empty exit row with Flight attendant reverse seat.

On the inbound, Senior Cabin crew came to me with water, towel and a small cookie before take off and called me by my name and whished me a pleaseant trip. We were two platinums in that situation in Economy.

I had connection flights in France with those two above, did not get any recognition though....
Maestro Ramen likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 2:31 am

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y2)
Originally Posted by supersympa
ARN-CDG and CDG-ARN in Economy end of december

both flights I got recognition, with extra water bottle and attention.

On the outbound, the flight attendant even moved me from my row (as we were 3) to seat beside her in the empty exit row with Flight attendant reverse seat.

On the inbound, Senior Cabin crew came to me with water, towel and a small cookie before take off and called me by my name and whished me a pleaseant trip. We were two platinums in that situation in Economy.

I had connection flights in France with those two above, did not get any recognition though....
Meanwhile I got 0.0 recognition on KLM flying Y last week (CPH-AMS-VLC) or J (VLC-AMS-CPH) yesterday - only a "Good evening mr. b12e" on the AMS-CPH segment in J. On none of the flights I was offered a bottle of water, let alone a cookie or towel.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 2:57 pm

Good start of the year on board KL

, got opupped on the BLL-AMS flight on board E190 aircraft and on the inbound AMS-BLL me and another Plat got extra snack and drink service from the J purser onboard B738 aircraft.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 2:39 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
My plat experience - I received several op-ups - mainly on NUE-AMS or AMS-NUE, but also long haul op-ups on KL (AMS-NBO, AMS-JFK) - even on Alitalia.

Within the last 4-5 years I mainly traveled in business class for extra XP and saving time to requalify - almost no platinum recognition at all. No personal greeting, nothing special - except in two instances I found the infamous AF welcome greeting card on my seat. The first time I was a quality observer for the flight (coincidence ???) and the second time when I was flying an AF feeder flight on an AeroMexico ticket (it was the first flight of the day for the crew - maybe they were still motivated ).

In longhaul business class at least the purser pops by once during a flight with a little smalltalk (usually before landing or during boarding).

BUT - platinums are the first to be asked for their main course choice (at least on AF) - on KL one time (I was sitting in row 1 and the first one to be asked for my meal choice) the attendant came back 10 minutes later and said that my choice is no longer available and I should select another meal. Only after a short discussion that I was the first person she asked for a meal choice and that I am a FB platinum she said „OK“ and disappeared. - One of my rudest experiences with KL crew.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 5:11 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Not sure if status as Plat helped, but on a fairly full Transavia flight from ORY to Tenerife I had the middle seat free. On a recent KL flight AMS-LYS called by name but for the rest nothing special.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 5:15 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
At least on AF and KL they try to block the seat next to you if the pax load of the flight permits that.

Had two separate tickets booked on my SIN trip. When I checked in and added the second passenger (FB silver) and chose my seat first - the seat next to me was blocked and could not be assigned to the second passenger. I had to put the second passenger at the desired seat first and could then choose the seat next to that pax. the other way around did not work as the seat next to me was always not assignable for the silver pax.
Escape and Maestro Ramen like this.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 9:15 am

Programs: Flying Blue - Platinum
My luck seems to have run out on this front, after several great flights earlier in 2022.

4 separate klm flights over the holiday period: DUB - AMS - BCN r/t, and nothing special on any of the flights.

It’s baffling that AF/KLM are so ad hoc with how they treat their Platinum Members. I know they were hinting at making the Platinum tier more attractive, so I’ll be curious to see if things start moving in a more positive direction…
Old Jan 5, 2023, 9:53 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
MXP-CDG-PRG yesterday

Arrived 45 minutes before scheduled departure (in the app it got postponed to 12:30 so technically 55 min), went to check in desk to get printed BP as I collect them. Not exactly lovely lady told me I could show up next time a little bit earlier but told me that the A318 is full but the only empty seat is kept next to me which was a great touch. Exit row was really comfy. CDG-PRG I was lucky to not have anyone next to me either, during boarding whilst giving my back to overhead bin FA seated by the back door saw the tags and during drink service was a bit nicer to me than to the rest and came back to ask me if there is anything I would want.

The best thing was our go around in Prague as it was my first after +-1100 flights but I do not think that was Plat recognition, even Explorers needed to fly the round with us.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 12:52 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, United
AF makes more effort recognizing Platinums

I’ve noticed that AF makes more of effort to recognize Platinums, whether you are in Y or J. AF’s lounges are generally much nicer than KLM’s pathetic lounges these days. It’s quite disappointing as a FB Platinum when you get treated so coldly, when even flying KLM J.

For example , I was on a KLM CDG-AMS flight on the evening of 12/31 & was quite disappointed that there was no attempt or effort made. This time I was sitting in an ‘Economy Comfort’ marketed seat (if there is no difference between EC & Economy why designate them as different seats?)

I asked for a glass of Cava(sparkling wine) for New Year’s but the cabin attendant said it was not available for Economy (which is generally true but I thought for NYE & being a FB Platinum member for many years, they might be “generous” enough this one time. On a different J flight, the KLM crew were just mean. Of course, I was wrong as this is the new norm (?) for KLM with not recognizing their elite members or at least treating their J customers in a civil manner like Air France does? The same flight attendants were quite friendly with Dutch speaking passengers. 🤔

After these experiences & a similar recent disappointing experience in J on KLM, I’m not flying KLM for awhile. Is it just me or the general KLM experience for the near future? Anything we can really do about it?
Old Jan 5, 2023, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Miika747
I’ve noticed that AF makes more of effort to recognize Platinums, whether you are in Y or J. AF’s lounges are generally much nicer than KLM’s pathetic lounges these days. It’s quite disappointing as a FB Platinum when you get treated so coldly, when even flying KLM J.

For example , I was on a KLM CDG-AMS flight on the evening of 12/31 & was quite disappointed that there was no attempt or effort made. This time I was sitting in an ‘Economy Comfort’ marketed seat (if there is no difference between EC & Economy why designate them as different seats?)

I asked for a glass of Cava(sparkling wine) for New Year’s but the cabin attendant said it was not available for Economy (which is generally true but I thought for NYE & being a FB Platinum member for many years, they might be “generous” enough this one time. On a different J flight, the KLM crew were just mean. Of course, I was wrong as this is the new norm (?) for KLM with not recognizing their elite members or at least treating their J customers in a civil manner like Air France does? The same flight attendants were quite friendly with Dutch speaking passengers. 🤔

After these experiences & a similar recent disappointing experience in J on KLM, I’m not flying KLM for awhile. Is it just me or the general KLM experience for the near future? Anything we can really do about it?
Well Ec seats have much more legspace and are in front of the aircraft so it is really not the same seat.
Also expecting bubbles on a short flight in Y isnt reasonable. Probably they didn't have enough Cava loaded for all STE+ on board.
KL's lounges are better than average but indeed not the level of AF, who are leading in Europe. AF has extremely limited legspace in their short haul cabins, especially in the A320 family.
I find the KL crew much more friendly than the reserved and somewhat presumptuous AF crews, funny how we experience it so differently.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 3:17 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, United
In the past, I thought KLM staff were friendlier than AF before but now it seems reversed based on the my last 20-30 flights.

And just to clarify, the EC flight on my CDG-AMS flight on a narrow body didn’t appear to have any extra leg space (generally a benefit of EC on larger aircraft) & the 12/31 flight was very empty, especially in J so I think there might have have been 1 mini bottle of Bottega left 😉
Old Jan 5, 2023, 5:51 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
In the past, I thought KLM staff were friendlier than AF before but now it seems reversed based on the my last 20-30 flights.

And just to clarify, the EC flight on my CDG-AMS flight on a narrow body didn’t appear to have any extra leg space (generally a benefit of EC on larger aircraft) & the 12/31 flight was very empty, especially in J so I think there might have have been 1 mini bottle of Bottega left 😉
You can never be sure about the booze loads, I have had plenty J flights from outstations - when traveling with friends and went for enjoyment of the J as much as we could - in the morning where two baileys with coffee were too much to ask. I doubt someone drunk them on evening flight day before.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold

EC generally have 1-2 inches of extra pitch between rows, not that it's particularly noticeable...
Old Jan 6, 2023, 1:20 am

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
I flew 12 long haul AF operated segments in 2022 all in paid J. I’m a Delta Diamond and got recognized on 11 of the 12 flights by the purser the same way other FB plats have in this thread. It’s always so genuine and a bit impressive.

On my last trip of the year in Nov (CDG-HND), I had a bit of a more in-depth chat with the purser. In her “thank you” spiel, she mentioned the fact she knew I was a DL elite and said something to the effect of “you are like one of AF’s Ultimate level customers”. I asked her how she made that connection. She showed me her iPad and my seat was coloured the same as 2 other FB ultimates on board.

It’s nice to see them recognize other Skyteam airline top tier fliers.
Goldorak and hhdl like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.