The Platinum Effect

Old Mar 1, 2023, 5:44 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Escape
Recently got an operational upgrade from Y to C, long haul flight, I was pleasantly surprised, the passenger next to me in C also got the op-up, both platinum. The flight was sold out, they were looking for volunteers to stay behind for one day.
What was the route?
Old Mar 2, 2023, 2:52 am

CUR-AMS
Old Mar 2, 2023, 4:34 am

Programs: A plethora of Platinum
Perhaps I’ve just been «lucky» but it feels like KLM have improved on their consistency in blocking seats during the past months. Out of my last 6 flights in Y, 5 of them have included a seat block, all of these with pretty much full Y cabins otherwise

Anyone else with fresh data points?
Old Mar 2, 2023, 5:04 am

Two points on longhaul:

AMS-GRU in 10A: 10B was blocked (there were quite some empty seats around, so not sure if random or on purpose). In service i was acknowledged by my name and then some crew members stopped by to casually chat and ask if everything was ok.
GIG-AMS in 10K: One day before, 10J (and some other seats) appeared as "unavailable" but then..... the GIG-AMS flight on the previous day of my flight was cancelled (due to technical of the a/c after arriving in GIG), so aircraft swichted to 773 and was as full as it can be (i think some pax were reaccomodated to AF as well), so no empty seats and no acknolwedgement whatsoever from the crew.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 6:50 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
checked in for a flight NUE-CDG for tomorrow - expertflyer shows C1 - still I am travelling in business class with my mother (silver) and my sister (explorer on a separate ticket). I could not put my sister or my mother beside me. the seat next to me was blocked (set to unavailable) automatically - no matter where i moved myself to. the only way I could put myself next to my mother or sister was to place them first and then select an adjacent seat. so the seat blocking is also implemented for checkin and not only for advance seat reservation (same issue)
Old Mar 2, 2023, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
checked in for a flight NUE-CDG for tomorrow - expertflyer shows C1 - still I am travelling in business class with my mother (silver) and my sister (explorer on a separate ticket). I could not put my sister or my mother beside me. the seat next to me was blocked (set to unavailable) automatically - no matter where i moved myself to. the only way I could put myself next to my mother or sister was to place them first and then select an adjacent seat. so the seat blocking is also implemented for checkin and not only for advance seat reservation (same issue)
Are you trying to put them in the blocked middle seat

(I booked some more flights in Y and put my companion(gold) next to me - KL flights, was not blocked)
Old Mar 2, 2023, 8:26 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
Are you trying to put them in the blocked middle seat

(I booked some more flights in Y and put my companion(gold) next to me - KL flights, was not blocked)
I will try on the return when we fly KL via AMS. Had the same issue on the last AF flight from SIN to NUE - could not place my mum beside me - had to select her seat first and then locate me next to her.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 11:11 am

Programs: FB Plat, *A Silver, Volare Exec (LOL), some hotels (Gold)
CDG-LIN today, flight half empty, no middle seat blocked. luckily the gentleman in the middle moved one row ahead (that was full empty)
Old Mar 5, 2023, 1:54 am

Programs: FB Plat, *A Silver, Volare Exec (LOL), some hotels (Gold)
a new option from AF, LIN-CDG flying economy, I'm plat, I can buy the seat close to me for 29€. not sure I will call this a perk.
the fun part? if I don't select ther option, it doesn't allow me to select 5C but puts me back to 21D. ouff...

Old Mar 5, 2023, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by straniero
a new option from AF, LIN-CDG flying economy, I'm plat, I can buy the seat close to me for 29€. not sure I will call this a perk.
the fun part? if I don't select ther option, it doesn't allow me to select 5C but puts me back to 21D. ouff...

Is that at time of purchasing or at check-in ? And it’s not just the adjacent seat but the entire row as per your screenshot..
Old Mar 5, 2023, 3:30 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
That looks like an excellent option for privacy at an acceptable cost…
miles4CDG likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 3:42 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
That...is pretty genius! I'd be certainly interested in that option. I wonder if this is available on AF only (or KLM as well), and on which routes. Perhaps only if the flight is expected to go out half empty anyway?

Was this option available from the time of booking or only close to departure?
Old Mar 5, 2023, 3:44 am

Are they trying to monetize the empty seats next to Platinum members?
Old Mar 5, 2023, 6:48 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by jerry_greece
Are they trying to monetize the empty seats next to Platinum members?
And we were hoping it was going to be a free benefit for Platinum members. 😅 Maybe they were just testing it and soon they will offer it for a price when they know the flight is not going to be full. I guess it won’t be offered only to Platinum members though, but maybe we’ll have a discount? 29€ for keeping the next seat free is a low price compared to what others charge (which is even 150-200€ at Turkish, for example).
Old Mar 5, 2023, 8:11 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
See this. Another revenue stream. I guess they experimented first with blocking seats next to plats. Now that it works they ask a price for it. And of course this price may evolve...I wonder - why as a plat if you do not chose the option for 29 Euro you are move 16 rows back? Seat choice is free still for plats I hope?
FB Silver and Gold benefits "evolving" from 28 March

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.