Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: refund provided as voucher (for non refundable fares)

Old Apr 6, 20, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
European Commission EC261/2004 guidelines in context of COVD-19 dated 18 MAR 2020
US DoT Enforcement Notice regarding refunds dated 3 APR 2020.
Print Wikipost

COVID-19: refund provided as voucher (for non refundable fares)

Old Apr 20, 20, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by Carpacchio View Post
You can - according to EU regulations, when a flight is cancelled by the airline, YOU can decide whether you want to be rebooked or refunded (under conditions, e.g. if the airline is in the EU, or the flight starts in the EU).)

Good luck with that. In theory yes but in practice thats not always happening.
Old Apr 20, 20, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by Charmcity View Post
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefined

Something weird just happened - I had been checking the AF website every couple of days to see when they would cancel our May 24 departure flights but still saw them as valid. Yesterday, however, the entire itinerary dropped out of their system. The record locator no longer pulls up our tickets in either the app (logged in) or their website. I immediately requested the chargeback. Is this how is has happened for others who had their flights cancelled?

Thanks for the chargeback advice - we'll see if it works!
interesting. Come to think of it, that also happened to me before I was automatically issued a non-refundable voucher.
Old Apr 20, 20, 2:50 pm

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Originally Posted by bostontraveler View Post
Good luck with that. In theory yes but in practice thats not always happening.
Oh - so laws are optional ? Good to hear...

Ok - joke aside, I guess the correct answer would be: you have a theoretical legal right, but the practical enforcing of it is questionable.
Old Apr 20, 20, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Oh - so laws are optional ? Good to hear...

Ok - joke aside, I guess the correct answer would be: you have a theoretical legal right, but the practical enforcing of it is questionable.
Exactly!

Grrr....
Old Apr 21, 20, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by bostontraveler View Post
You also cant use them for another passenger.

I am not holding my breath that AF is going to loosen the rules. It is in their interest to issue vouchers since they keep cash, which is unsecured debt. The more cash they keep the less the government has to give them. Which is why the government is giving it tacit approval to do whatever it wants.

Im also not surprised this cant be used to pay for award tickets, although the YQ collected is profit. With oil at $15 a barrel it shouldnt even be collected but thats another story.

The finance and legal teams will get a nice bonus for all of this. But they deserve an F- for ethics.
But precisely, because they are giving away vouchers instead of cash, they should loosen the rules of said vouchers so they become, in a way "Air France Currency", to use just as cash with AF.
Old Apr 21, 20, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the correct answer would be: you have a theoretical legal right, but the practical enforcing of it is questionable.
The European Commission has warned the Dutch cabinet minister Van Nieuwenhuizen that EC 261 has to be followed, no ifs, no buts. Airlines have to refund tickets if the customer so desires, and if the Dutch government refuses to enforce EC 261 then the EC will start procedures against it.

Source (in Dutch).
bostontraveler and KLBGO like this.
Old Apr 21, 20, 1:24 pm

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
But its not just KL doing that. Pretty much all of Europe is. In GR the government has even made it official for the whole tourism sector:
https://news.gtp.gr/2020/04/08/covid...stead-refunds/

In another example two of my Ryanair flights got canceled. One originating in NL, the other in IT. Received an email with a link to apply for a refund. Great I thought...Ryanair is believed to have the best Cash reserves in the business...lets try to get back that money. After about a month I just received... a voucher. One that expires in 12 months with no option to convert it into cash at the end.
Old Apr 21, 20, 4:34 pm

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post
The European Commission has warned the Dutch cabinet minister Van Nieuwenhuizen that EC 261 has to be followed, no ifs, no buts. Airlines have to refund tickets if the customer so desires, and if the Dutch government refuses to enforce EC 261 then the EC will start procedures against it.

Source (in Dutch).
That addresses the first part of my phrase....
Old Apr 21, 20, 11:21 pm

Flight on 05/05 from PRG > AMS was cancelled by KLM on 4/18 and then auto rescheduled to a earlier time. Submitted cancellation request on 04/19 for indicating flight was cancelled and clicked refund and back onto credit card.
04/21, the booking of revised time and prior flight both show cancelled and no longer a active booking. Didn't get any email or anything indicating. Curious to see what I get from Air France, I would prefer a full refund ideally. If I did a get voucher, I prefer getting the one that would refund you if the voucher wasn't used within a year versus the one where it was non refundable if not used.
Book through Airfrance US.
Old Apr 22, 20, 4:57 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles
Well I had a flight that was cancelled due to the Flybe Collapse. I rang and was granted a cash refund: This was March 10.

Now, I get this email, April 22:

The outbreak of the coronavirus has led to significant impacts on all industries, the aviation industry is facing major challenges with unforeseen consequences right now. Unfortunately, as you experienced, many of our flights are cancelled. We are doing everything possible to assist our customers in rearranging their travel plans. Given the exceptional circumstances, we will issue your refund request by a voucher in the amount of your original ticket price, to use as payment for future KLM, Air France, Delta Air Lines or Virgin Atlantic flights.

*Sigh*. You can even have a non-COVID related cancellation and get the COVID treatment from KLM. I guess time will tell if this is just a generic response or their real intentions. I have already lodged a chargeback for "refund not received" (as they had sent me a generic refund confirmation on the 10th March).
Old Apr 22, 20, 5:00 am

Programs: AF/KLM FB Gold, AccorHotels Gold
I tried to call AF multiple times earlier this week to figure out where my refund request has gone, at this point I don't care whether it's refund or voucher. And each time I was on hold for 30mn before the system hung up the call.

So I just filed a dispute with Amex.
Old Apr 22, 20, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold; BA Rust
https://www.theguardian.com/business...ch-coronavirus
Attached Images  
Old Apr 22, 20, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Some good news. AF reinstated the ticket that they cancelled "automatically"... but not after a fight.

I got a reply from customer service basically stating what The Guardian said.

Last edited by bostontraveler; Apr 22, 20 at 2:02 pm
Old Apr 23, 20, 4:46 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, BA, LH M&M
How long is it taking at the moment for the travel vouchers to be sent out to customers? Do they still have a backlog?
I cancelled with KLM on 3 April and filled in the online form for a travel voucher.
Received confirmation email about 10 days later, stating that it may take "multiple weeks".
Voucher still not arrived after nearly 3 weeks.

I was wrong when I thought that opting for the travel voucher and using the online form, rather than blocking the phone line, would lead to the quickest resolution.
Old Apr 23, 20, 4:53 am

Took me 12 hours called saturday afternoon received sunday... saw someone received in 10 min yesterday.... soooo depends

Search this Thread