Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: refund provided as voucher (for non refundable fares)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2020, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
European Commission EC261/2004 guidelines in context of COVD-19 dated 18 MAR 2020
US DoT Enforcement Notice regarding refunds dated 3 APR 2020.
Print Wikipost

COVID-19: refund provided as voucher (for non refundable fares)

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2020, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by Wil973
why lose your money...normally they will refund how you paid... so on your credit card
There's nothing normal about any of this. If the passenger is applying for a refund in their name, I have zero confidence that it's coming back to my credit card, especially when it went through an agency originally. KLM won't give any details on how these refunds will be processed.
Old May 9, 2020, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
In that case, you really need to obtain a refund (you will never obtain a voucher under your name). And you need to talk to Expedia and not KL
I guess I'll have to wait until the other flights are cancelled then. The trip was due to start in a couple of weeks, so I expect there will be movement soon.
Old May 9, 2020, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by pboae
There's nothing normal about any of this. If the passenger is applying for a refund in their name, I have zero confidence that it's coming back to my credit card, especially when it went through an agency originally. KLM won't give any details on how these refunds will be processed.
If refund, it will go to the credit card used to pay the ticket, so your card IIRC. The passenger cannot apply for a refund to his/her CC.
But if the pax is accepting a voucher (under his/her name) then you're screwed.
Wil973 likes this.
Old May 9, 2020, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
If refund, it will go to the credit card used to pay the ticket, so your card IIRC. The passenger cannot apply for a refund to his/her CC.
But if the pax is accepting a voucher (under his/her name) then you're screwed.
A refund now would go back to my card (I assume), but is there any guarantee that would happen to a refund of an expired voucher in 12 months?
Old May 9, 2020, 3:18 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, FB Plat
What amazes me is that there's still a "you can rebook for free, but only pay the fare difference" policy.
With many customers accepting vouchers to help out airlines even though they are lawfully owned a refund, this fare difference thing should NOT be a thing.

I had a flight ticket A<>Z. Give me the option to rebook another A<>Z at any other date WITHOUT fare difference being a factor. Get rid of your price calculation shenanigans.
It boggles me that the fare difference algorithm is still something going on. I'm seeing AMS<>BOS monitored flights jumping all over the place in price, up to €4000 in business class for flights that are a month out..
Thysk likes this.
Old May 9, 2020, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by maxvor
A UK law firm is about to start class action against AF-KLM and Ryanair for not providing refunds according to EU law. Open to UK residents only for now.
https://www.theairlineclaim.com
Thanks for the link. I gave them until Friday to transfer the money. I don't have much at stake, I gave up on the loyaty some time ago and don't really care if they were to revoke status or such, so perhaps it's easier for me to join the class lawsuit than for the others.... But either way, I think it's about the time for the taxpayers funding those frauds, frauds openly admitting to breaking the law, it's time to stand up to them.
bostontraveler likes this.
Old May 10, 2020, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by Wunk
What amazes me is that there's still a "you can rebook for free, but only pay the fare difference" policy.
With many customers accepting vouchers to help out airlines even though they are lawfully owned a refund, this fare difference thing should NOT be a thing.

I had a flight ticket A<>Z. Give me the option to rebook another A<>Z at any other date WITHOUT fare difference being a factor. Get rid of your price calculation shenanigans.
It boggles me that the fare difference algorithm is still something going on. I'm seeing AMS<>BOS monitored flights jumping all over the place in price, up to €4000 in business class for flights that are a month out..

Seems extremely expensive until the regular schedule resumes in July (we hope...) but that's the case for a lot of routes because there are so few flights.

The summer is pricing normally-- 1750€ +/- RT in Business (as it has been for the past few years in my experience) but I am still seeing 1380€ RT in Business from September on...
Old May 10, 2020, 9:47 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Got a credit card refund, without asking, for the fees associated with an award booking where they (AF) had cancelled the flight. They explained to me that the vouchers solution would only apply to restricted fares.
Old May 10, 2020, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Got a credit card refund, without asking, for the fees associated with an award booking where they (AF) had cancelled the flight. They explained to me that the vouchers solution would only apply to restricted fares.
I had the same experience.
Old May 11, 2020, 12:00 am

Hi there,

I booked directly with AF for mid-July flights from EDI to CDG.

These were connecting flights to go to the USA with Iberia, now cancelled by Iberia, and refunded with no problem at all.

Does anyone have any insight into when (or even if) AF will start to cancel flights booked for mid-July?

While flights up to the end of August can now be cancelled by the customer, I'd prefer that they cancel, rather than doing it myself, as I can then consider a credit card chargeback / court action to obtain a non-voucher refund.

Regards,

KB53.
Old May 11, 2020, 1:34 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by kb53
Does anyone have any insight into when (or even if) AF will start to cancel flights booked for mid-July?.
No , but it depends on the case , unless UK or French gouvernment decide to cancel all flights until end of july , AF has no reason to not operate these flights . So stay in touch with their press releases and see what will happen

Originally Posted by kb53
While flights up to the end of August can now be cancelled by the customer, I'd prefer that they cancel, rather than doing it myself, as I can then consider a credit card chargeback / court action to obtain a non-voucher refund.
I think your chances to see these flights cancelled are very low , considering that AF is keen to operate as much flights as possible and as soon as possible , so your best option might be the voucher

If however they cancel the flights and you claim a refund , keep all conversations you had with them in case they refuse , so it will be useful to contact your bank or credit card issuer for chargeback
Wil973 likes this.

Last edited by fifty_two; May 11, 2020 at 4:50 am
Old May 11, 2020, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those of you who have booked your tickets in Sweden, the country's consumer authority has today ruled that anybody who has bought a ticket of any kind (flight, vacation, concert, you name it) is entitled to a full refund if the service has not been provided. No ifs, no buts, no exceptions.

Ruling here (in Swedish).

Johan

Last edited by johan rebel; May 12, 2020 at 5:03 am Reason: dumb typo
Old May 11, 2020, 1:43 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United Platinum Premier, AF/KLM Platinum
Well, KLM's voucher-policy instead of providing a refund has now made the frontpage of one of the biggest news sites of the Netherlands:
https://www.geenstijl.nl/5153392/zwanenzang/#more
Old May 12, 2020, 4:48 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, FB Plat
Originally Posted by Thysk
Well, KLM's voucher-policy instead of providing a refund has now made the frontpage of one of the biggest news sites of the Netherlands:
https://www.geenstijl.nl/5153392/zwanenzang/#more
Calling geenstijl a news site is stretching it.. It's sensationalized articles, written in a provocative way to stir up manure in general.

Last edited by Wunk; May 12, 2020 at 6:09 am
Old May 12, 2020, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wunk
Calling geenstijl a news site is stretching it.. It's sensationalized articles, written in a provocative way to stir up manure in general.
Agreed, but this particular article is pretty much spot-on, and besides, the website's name also accurately describes KL's behavior.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.