Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Air France's rebooking policy: https://www.airfrance.nl/NL/en/common/page_flottante/hp/news-air-traffic-air-france.htm?_ga=2.60869669.82286185.1584471569-101309917.1487618201 KLM's rebooking policy: https://www.klm.com/travel/nl_nl/prepare_for_travel/up_to_date/flight_update/index.htm

Worksheet/flowchart for Travel Agents: http://image.email.bluebiz.info/lib/fe9013727c62017f75/m/4/575524f1-d29b-4548-b393-eb5ab0eee26b.pdf

European Commission EC261/2004 guidelines in context of COVD-19 dated 18 MAR 2020 US DoT Enforcement Notice regarding refunds dated 3 APR 2020.

Some additional information:
1) North American ticket holders can typically request chargebacks from their banks.
2) Furthermore, for flights that touch US soil, they may also file complains with the US DOT.
3) American Express in France and in the Netherlands reportedly refuse to open chargeback disputes for cardholders. Unclear whether other banks are following this policy.
4) At this stage, 14 EU member states out of 27 support amending EC261 regulation (which mandates airlines give the consumer the choice of a refund) for the duration of the crisis. Some of these member states have already suspended the enforcement of the regulation with respect to the obligation for a refund. Air France/KLM supports the proposed amendment.

Statement by 12 of these 14 EU member states: https://www.aviation24.be/miscellaneous/passenger-rights/coronavirus-twelve-eu-member-states-ask-commission-to-amend-regulation-ec-261-2004-to-allow-issuance-of-vouchers-in-lieu-of-refund/

​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

COVID-19: AF/KL rebooking/refund policy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2020, 8:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
It may well be a technical obstacle for a given agent...
Or simply an easy way to fob off a customer.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 5:47 pm

Programs: FB
I have a return ticket to AMS on April 12 and return on May 3. Both flights are cancelled. I have the following questions:

- I understand that I can decide before or on September 30 for alternative dates or whether I'd prefer a voucher. Is my understanding correct?
- I understand that if my new travel date is before or on 30 November 2020, then I can change my travel dates if the same travel class as mentioned on the original ticket is available. In my case the ticket is a WBC discounted fare. How does that work out if my flight to Amsterdam is before 30 November, but my return flight from Amsterdam will be after 30 November (in December)?

In order not to burden the customer service more (they are busy with queries relating to repatriation flights) I hope to get an answer here. Thanks
Old Apr 7, 2020, 1:03 am

Programs: Marco Polo
Garuda EME voucher

Hello,

I had my flights with Garuda Indonesia cancelled by the airline. I managed to get hold of customer service after a few days and they told me the only option was a non-refundable voucher, which I accepted.
I have since received an email from amadeus titled EMD receipt, which contains a lot of info, most of which I can't understand.
Can someone kindly help me find how to redeem this (ie help me find my voucher code)? I've tried booking another flight much later in the year and none of the codes I could find in the email worked as a voucher number.
I'm pasting below the email and removing some content replacing with Xs:********************** ---------------------------- ********************
EMD-XXX-XXXXXXXXXXX X EMD PASSENGER RECEIPT 1A ELECTRONIC
MISCELLANEOUS
GARUDA INDONESIA 04APR20 ID DOCUMENT
GA HANDLING EC XXXXXXXX XXXX XXXX /XXXX
MySurname/MyGivenName MR XXX XXXXXX/1A NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL
MERCHANDISE ********************XXX X XXX VOUCHER OR GIFT CARD
OPERATING CC:GA
ORIGIN:CGK
RMKS:

NON REFUNDABLE EMD VOUCHER FROM XXX XXXXXX REFF FROM XXX XXXXX VALID T
HRU 30JUN2021

HKD YYYY XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX/XXXX/XXXXXXX
PD XXX XX PD XX XX PD XXX HK
PD XX XX PD XXX XX
EXCH/ XXXXXXXXXXXXX
ORIG ISS/XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
IDR NO ADC
FOID-

And as a follow up question, the refund value is less than I've been charged on my credit card, does anyone have any idea and if its worth trying to get the difference from Garuda?

Many thanks

C
Old Apr 7, 2020, 1:16 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
EMD-XXX-XXXXXXXXXXX X
is the voucher number
Old Apr 7, 2020, 1:23 am

Programs: Marco Polo
That's what I thought.. I tried using it but their website gives me an 'error processing voucher'.
I've tried removing spaces, dashes, EMD... I guess I'll contact the customer service again.

Thanks
Old Apr 7, 2020, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by hkCharly
That's what I thought.. I tried using it but their website gives me an 'error processing voucher'.
I've tried removing spaces, dashes, EMD... I guess I'll contact the customer service again.

Thanks
30 jun 2021 ...so maybe you can use from 30 june 2020...maybe
Old Apr 7, 2020, 3:46 am

And as a follow up question, the refund value is less than I've been charged on my credit card, does anyone have any idea and if its worth trying to get the difference from Garuda?

Many thanks

Currency Exchange difference ?
Old Apr 8, 2020, 7:05 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Important update: KLM has launched a separate policy for tickets bought in the US. A monetary refund is now offered for cancelled flight. Probably after the DOT warning.
tecate55 and longlife like this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 8:45 am

Programs: FlyingBlue (Platinum); AA (Executive Plat); BAEC (Silver), SPG (Platinum); Hilton (Diamond)
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Important update: KLM has launched a separate policy for tickets bought in the US. A monetary refund is now offered for cancelled flight. Probably after the DOT warning.
Where are you seeing this? I received an email this morning refusing a refund (again) after emailing them both the DOT guidance and a copy of the DOT complaint acknowledgement and case number for the complaint I filed.

EDITED - my response must have been sent before they updated their policy, here under United States of America - Rebook policy coronavirus

https://www.klm.com/travel/nl_en/pre...date/index.htm
seawolf likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 10:36 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
AF has adapted the same policy. Still only referring to POS in the US.
seawolf likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 10:56 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
Another data point : I have almost 10 non refundable reservations for AF/KL flights, and all those reservations contain at least a couple cancelled flights. Requested refund (understand vouchers) for all reservations together with my girlfriend's reservations between March 20th and April 2nd.
Next trip we were supposed to take was supposed to start tomorrow to St Petersburg and I just received today a refundable voucher (refundable after 1 year) for my girlfriends flights (got nothing for my reservations - we are on different PNR). Both refunds were requested on March 22nd, I am Plat, she is now Silver. The email body she receives states that this voucher is refundable 12 months after issue, if requested up to 3 months after expiration, but there is no refundable mention on the voucher itself.
Looks like AF/KL is issuing vouchers for departures planned in the next 24 hours to delay the refunds as much a possible. I wish the EU commission would be as strong as the US DOT here in enforcing the rules. When you see that KLM give me a non-refundable voucher for flights that they decided to cancel, they don't even respect their own rules, this is just unacceptable.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I saw the KLM notice, but not the AF one.
Can you provide the link? I couldn't find it. Thanks.
Bogwoppit likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 12:45 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Silver
That's some BS on AF/KL's part. I have flights between DE and US booked on airfrance.de and even though the DOT notification should apply as well, they limit it to "booked on the .com website".
Old Apr 8, 2020, 11:33 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
And this BS is exactly why AF/KL do not deserve any leniency from travelers and everyone should try to get their cash back, either from their credit card or via the legal route.
skyhighlander likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 12:35 am

Well, well, well... Uncle Sam takes the whip out and the French fold like a house of cards...

And in the meantime, we Europeans can remain proud of our customers' rights we so often talk about... while holding our vouchers and watching our governments subsidising airlines...

To quote the classic - SAD!
palmanfr likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.