Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Air France's rebooking policy: https://www.airfrance.nl/NL/en/common/page_flottante/hp/news-air-traffic-air-france.htm?_ga=2.60869669.82286185.1584471569-101309917.1487618201 KLM's rebooking policy: https://www.klm.com/travel/nl_nl/prepare_for_travel/up_to_date/flight_update/index.htm

Worksheet/flowchart for Travel Agents: http://image.email.bluebiz.info/lib/fe9013727c62017f75/m/4/575524f1-d29b-4548-b393-eb5ab0eee26b.pdf

European Commission EC261/2004 guidelines in context of COVD-19 dated 18 MAR 2020 US DoT Enforcement Notice regarding refunds dated 3 APR 2020.

Some additional information:
1) North American ticket holders can typically request chargebacks from their banks.
2) Furthermore, for flights that touch US soil, they may also file complains with the US DOT.
3) American Express in France and in the Netherlands reportedly refuse to open chargeback disputes for cardholders. Unclear whether other banks are following this policy.
4) At this stage, 14 EU member states out of 27 support amending EC261 regulation (which mandates airlines give the consumer the choice of a refund) for the duration of the crisis. Some of these member states have already suspended the enforcement of the regulation with respect to the obligation for a refund. Air France/KLM supports the proposed amendment.

Statement by 12 of these 14 EU member states: https://www.aviation24.be/miscellaneous/passenger-rights/coronavirus-twelve-eu-member-states-ask-commission-to-amend-regulation-ec-261-2004-to-allow-issuance-of-vouchers-in-lieu-of-refund/

​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

COVID-19: AF/KL rebooking/refund policy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2020, 9:22 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Have you guys seen this policy flow chart?

http://image.email.bluebiz.info/lib/...31064f657d.pdf
Old Mar 24, 2020, 9:35 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Originally Posted by oliver2002

I assume EMD means voucher ?

Well, funny then:
if the passenger does not accept a voucher (or the other options), and there is an involuntary event (e.g. flight cancelled by airline) on a non-refundable ticket, the passenger receives.... a voucher ???,
Old Mar 24, 2020, 10:02 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Carpacchio

Well, funny then:
if the passenger does not accept a voucher (or the other options), and there is an involuntary event (e.g. flight cancelled by airline) on a non-refundable ticket, the passenger receives.... a voucher ???,
But that one is refundable after a year!
Old Mar 24, 2020, 10:03 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
One more data point on my side. Just called PSL Netherlands (found on the dutch FB website as I initially wanted to cancel some reward bookings made for my parents, which are NOT yet cancelled):
- 2 award bookings on AF and KL (still operating on April 28th and May 17th) : Got the miles credited back immediately, agent told me the taxes will be refunded without penalty on my credit card.
- 1 Award booking on CI (still operating for May 5th) : Same thing, miles got refunded immediately and I should receive the taxes back on my CC.
So that's positive compared to BA/IB where even taxes on award bookings are refunded by vouchers ! Another positive thing is that someone picked up my call within 5 minutes.

i also have one booking for this weekend with 2 out of 4 segments cancelled by KLM (074 ticket). Wanted to get a full cash refund as per EC 261/2004 regulation. That was not an option. I was only offered a free rebooking for later in the year until Sept 30th or a travel voucher, non refundable, valid 1 year. A bit contradictory with the information displayed on the AF website which mention the voucher would be refundable if not used after one year. Mentioned the regulation etc... but the agent simply told me he has no other policies available and cannot bypass the system. Given the fact the amount was relatively small (165 Euros), the departure in 72 hours and that I hope to still regularly fly with AF/KL/DL/VS once the situation will be over, I accepted it and received the voucher immediately on my email box. However, I have 3 more trips with at least 1 cancelled flight on it in April (all 057 tickets), I hope that I would get a refundable voucher or a refund.
Besides the fact I would prefer to have hard cash nowadays, the problem I see with those vouchers is that my Amex travel insurances (included in the platinum credit card) do not trigger when paying for a trip with those vouchers, you need to pay for the entire journey using the credit card.

Hopefully, AF/KL (and all the other airlines) will start respecting their contracts of carriage and the 261/2004 regulation at some point. Maybe providing a 10% bonus on the vouchers would an better incentive for people to accept those (a la EI, TK, or QR) rather than playing with the law.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 10:06 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
But that one is refundable after a year!
Well, in my case, where flights KL1418 and KL1419 have been cancelled for this upcomining weekend, the voucher received clearly says non-refundable. And it was KLM's decision to cancel those flights.
The Air France website is clearer in that regard. If the airline cancels the flight, you get a voucher refundable if not used after a year.

VOTRE VOL A ÉTÉ ANNULÉ

Si vous avez acheté votre billet auprès d'une agence de voyages et que votre vol a été annulé, veuillez la contacter pour plus d'informations.

Si vous avez acheté votre billet sur notre site ou auprès d'un point de vente Air France, vous pouvez reporter votre voyage en modifiant vous-même votre réservation en ligne, dans la rubrique « Mes Réservations » de notre site ou de l'application mobile.Reporter votre voyage
Vous pouvez également compléter le formulaire ci-dessous et obtenir un avoir valable 1 an sur l’ensemble des vols Air France, KLM, Delta Air Lines et Virgin Atlantic. Cet avoir est remboursable s'il n'est pas utilisé avant sa date d'expiration.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 10:18 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Carpacchio

Well, funny then:
All EU3 have moved to issue EMD/vouchers instead of cash refunds this week.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 10:27 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold

Thanks! Very useful as to what to expect when booking or changing flights these days.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 11:05 am

Can anyone advise me on this please

i have booked return tickets with KLM to Orlando from Edinburgh for myself, Wife and daughter for the start of April. I am now going to exchange the booking for a voucher. The total cost of our booking was £1500 but I read on KLM that the maximum amount for a voucher is 800 euros. The tickets are all under the same booking reference. Will I receive only an 800 euros voucher for total booking or will I receive 3 vouchers (one for each passenger)?

Flights haven’t been cancelled so will wait another week in case they are so that I can ask for a cash refund. Any advice greatly appreciated
Old Mar 24, 2020, 11:11 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
Originally Posted by CraigH82

i have booked return tickets with KLM to Orlando from Edinburgh for myself, Wife and daughter for the start of April. I am now going to exchange the booking for a voucher. The total cost of our booking was £1500 but I read on KLM that the maximum amount for a voucher is 800 euros. The tickets are all under the same booking reference. Will I receive only an 800 euros voucher for total booking or will I receive 3 vouchers (one for each passenger)?

Flights haven’t been cancelled so will wait another week in case they are so that I can ask for a cash refund. Any advice greatly appreciated
you should receive 3 vouchers to be used for each passenger I think.
CraigH82 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 11:14 am

I believe that there will be one voucher issued per passenger and I do not think there is a limit per voucher amount. Where did you see the 800 Euros amount ? I think you are talking about the EC 261/2004 compensation but here no compensation is due as this is considered as an extraordinary circumstance. Another option you could consider is to change the dates of your trip to later in the year, although I don't think Florida in Summer or September is the best place. You could also change destinations online.
CraigH82 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 11:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Why dont you request a full cash refund?
Old Mar 24, 2020, 11:20 am
siw

Programs: AF-KL Platinum, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by mfkne
I doubt there is anyone else at KLM who would be willing or able to override this at the moment, so go straight to AMEX.
Contacted AMEX UK and they will not do anything of any sort to help. Told by two separate people that only the merchant (airline, hotel etc.) can get funds back me.

Contacted the Platinum Service Line (PSL) and told that all the condions are on the website. Either, take the voucher or not - nothing else will happen.

Therefore, the only option is to take the voucher. Or else forget the whole situation and accept to lose.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by palmanfr
I believe that there will be one voucher issued per passenger and I do not think there is a limit per voucher amount. Where did you see the 800 Euros amount ? I think you are talking about the EC 261/2004 compensation but here no compensation is due as this is considered as an extraordinary circumstance. Another option you could consider is to change the dates of your trip to later in the year, although I don't think Florida in Summer or September is the best place. You could also change destinations online.
thanks, planning to use vouchers to go next Easter instead. Am I correct in thinking that if voucher valid for a year for example from 27 March 2020 I would need to use voucher before 27 March 2021 but could book flights that take place beyond that date eg 6 - 16 April 2021? Sorry if already covered, just looking to clarify.
thanks very much
Old Mar 24, 2020, 11:26 am

thanks, planning to use vouchers to go next Easter instead. Am I correct in thinking that if voucher valid for a year for example from 27 March 2020 I would need to use voucher before 27 March 2021 but could book flights that take place beyond that date eg 6 - 16 April 2021? Sorry if already covered, just looking to clarify.
thanks very much
Sure, you would need to use the voucher by March 27th 2021, meaning that the ticket should be booked by this date, but you could include a departure for April or May 2021. I would however wait a bit before booking, prices might drop in the next several months, to stimulate recovery.
Since you seem to be based in UK, maybe it is good for you to know that the vouchers should also be valid on Delta and Virgin Atlantic, not only AF/KL.
CraigH82 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 11:29 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
All EU3 have moved to issue EMD/vouchers instead of cash refunds this week.
BA still seems to provide monetary refunds for cancelled flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.