Wiki Posts
Search

Kenya Airways introduces new Economy Class seat

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2019, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Originally Posted by offvoice
So I took the 787 in Economy Comfort (no picture though) from AMS to NBO. Pitch is indeed better on the first 5 rows (similar to KLM Economy Comfort on long haul IIRC), and you also have dedicated overhead bins (with small sticker “Reserved to Economy Comfort”). No difference in term of amenities or service. The neutralized middle seat is only on 737, not 787 from what they told me. TBH, not sure if worth the price unless you get the status discounts (up to free for Platinum).
You are 100% right, thanks a lot for confirming @offvoice .
Except for KL EC which looks more generous at the first row - not center !
Are you sure the free middle seat was not because plane's light load?
Also no difference in term of pre service but maybe it will (has) change(d) soon - TIA.
I don't blame the venerable oversized Mama that sat next between us - which always needed help for seatbelt, dinner... and clearly invaded our privacy - but KQ for advertising and promoting such seats with many advantages!

An advice for others, stick to not full row 3 or 4 or as usual at the back of the cabin where you can eventually lounge for the night!
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:33 pm

Programs: BA NON flyer, LH Frequent Traveller, V/A Gold, HGP Diamond, HHonnors Diamond, GHA Black
I am flying with KQ on Feb 14th and have 6 seats and considering booking 11,12 and 14 in G and J. On row 11 the middle seat is blocked. Would this look to make sense? is it worth it?
thanks
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheHak
I am flying with KQ on Feb 14th and have 6 seats and considering booking 11,12 and 14 in G and J. On row 11 the middle seat is blocked. Would this look to make sense? is it worth it?
thanks
Unfortunately it won't be blocked (+ probably empty too) unless you are lucky.
Before the last trip, I've tried several times to call KQ in NBO to understand how to get a Super Economy seat (along with a Economy Comfort seat), and each time agents just hung up the phone and say, we'll call you back - which had never happened obviously...
My guess is that on the seap map it's blocked in order to keep them for travellers with infant.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 6:43 pm

Programs: BA NON flyer, LH Frequent Traveller, V/A Gold, HGP Diamond, HHonnors Diamond, GHA Black
Yes its clearly blocked for infant seats. My only guess is few people are going to be willing to pay for a middle seat so it might end up empty.

im hesitant also to select seats at the back (although last 3 rows are all blocked - i assume for the crew-) in the hope flights is quite empty and we cAn snag some rows.

that being said this is one of the most full flights (almost full in business) given it falls at the beginning of feb holidays in nyc.

also i thought economy comfort had special pillows and amenity kits (not that i care but thats not the case? Also do you earn more xps on these seats?

thanks so much
Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:55 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by TheHak

also i thought economy comfort had special pillows and amenity kits (not that i care but thats not the case? Also do you earn more xps on these seats?

thanks so much
Unfortunately no additional XP nor amenity or pillow for EC on KQ
Old Feb 27, 2020, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

On a very recent JNB-NBO leg, KQ cabin crew tactfully dealt with this situation:

As KQ761 luckily gets a 787, many seats are often vacant so a few pax tried to sneak in to the very upfront Y seats before, after the end of boarding, and during cruising.

I'm trully impressed that the KQ crew came twice with the PIL to ask the name + checking the BP to verify that Economy Comfort was effectively granted to those already seated in before we took off and closing the curtains..
A few of them were obviously upset to see an almost empty plane along with these attractive seats upfront....and are still certainly arguing at this time about this issue to KQ staff in NBO, LHR, JFK....

During approach, same story, despite we were actually ahead of schedule.... but same answer from the crew

When Offvoice posted his/her first trip, only overhead compartments got the mention of "reserved to Economy Comfort", now the 3 first rows show a clearly dedicated and visible headrest in red, like KLM does (in Orange?) .

Last edited by flying_blue_white_red; Feb 27, 2020 at 4:52 pm
Old Feb 28, 2020, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red
On a very recent JNB-NBO leg, KQ cabin crew tactfully dealt with this situation:

As KQ761 luckily gets a 787, many seats are often vacant so a few pax tried to sneak in to the very upfront Y seats before, after the end of boarding, and during cruising.

I'm trully impressed that the KQ crew came twice with the PIL to ask the name + checking the BP to verify that Economy Comfort was effectively granted to those already seated in before we took off and closing the curtains..
A few of them were obviously upset to see an almost empty plane along with these attractive seats upfront....and are still certainly arguing at this time about this issue to KQ staff in NBO, LHR, JFK....

During approach, same story, despite we were actually ahead of schedule.... but same answer from the crew

When Offvoice posted his/her first trip, only overhead compartments got the mention of "reserved to Economy Comfort", now the 3 first rows show a clearly dedicated and visible headrest in red, like KLM does (in Orange?) .
You're right, they are now clearly identified with a different headrest color. Now that I flew those 6 times, I'd like to reassess my opinion on it: I actually think they are worth something. The good recline + legroom means you actually can have some decent sleep in those (more than on AF's W in their 787 they fly to NBO, AFAIC), and that even at full recline, it's unlikely someone behind you will bump your back. I still think the price is steep, but if you get a small discount due to your FF status, take it!)
Old Mar 2, 2020, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offvoice
You're right, they are now clearly identified with a different headrest color. Now that I flew those 6 times, I'd like to reassess my opinion on it: I actually think they are worth something. The good recline + legroom means you actually can have some decent sleep in those (more than on AF's W in their 787 they fly to NBO, AFAIC), and that even at full recline, it's unlikely someone behind you will bump your back. I still think the price is steep, but if you get a small discount due to your FF status, take it!)
Always good to read another opinion! Thanks for your input!
I stand to be corrected but AF 787 W seats are marginally different than A388 W seats; after my opup from CDG to JNB outbound! ( + an enhanced catering compared to KQ)!
Next time on KQ, row 2 or 3 will be reserved to eventually get a full flat seat !
From JNB on that day, the light load factor could allow many passengers to do so.

As you travelled a few times with KQ already, maybe now do you know if the middle seat is blocked off (at least at the first row) or it was just a glitch in their early days?
Or what does KQ exactly mean with a "free" middle seat?
Old Mar 2, 2020, 9:20 pm

Always good to read another opinion! Thanks for your input!
I stand to be corrected but AF 787 W seats are marginally different than A388 W seats; after my opup from CDG to JNB outbound! ( + an enhanced catering compared to KQ)!
Next time on KQ, row 2 or 3 will be reserved to eventually get a full flat seat !
From JNB on that day, the light load factor could allow many passengers to do so.

As you travelled a few times with KQ already, maybe now do you know if the middle seat is blocked off (at least at the first row) or it was just a glitch in their early days?
Or what does KQ exactly mean with a "free" middle seat?
AFAIK they are blocked on 737, not on 787. You can’t select the middle seat on the seat map on 787 before checking though, because that’s (I think) the only bulkhead where you can have a bassinet for INF (infants). But the middle seats were always taken on all my flights (infants or not) after boarding.

They do make this distinction between Economy comfort (787) & Super economy (737) though they list on their website prices for all destination (for instance: Super Economy to the US or Europe, while it's effectively not available, only Economy comfort is (unless they start serving AMS, CDG or LHR in 737)

Last edited by offvoice; Mar 3, 2020 at 12:17 am Reason: comfort vs super economy
Old Oct 29, 2022, 12:05 pm
Suspended

To resurrect this thread: I have some KQ flights coming up (787 and 737) - it seems like the middle seats in the first row of economy are blocked. But I can choose window/aisle seats for free. Anyone have experience of the first row - are the armrests fixed or can they be lifted? How close is the bulkhead (I'm tall + have long legs)?
Old Oct 30, 2022, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mpkz
Are the armrests fixed or can they be lifted? How close is the bulkhead (I'm tall + have long legs)?
They are fixed.
It's not comfortable for tall pax even part of the EC seats. You should definitely choose an emergency exit seat (but further back).
mpkz likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 3:32 pm
Suspended

They are fixed.
It's not comfortable for tall pax even part of the EC seats. You should definitely choose an emergency exit seat (but further back).
Thanks! I eventually found a trip report where someone walked by the seats and it confirms your finding.

I do find KLM's economy comfort comfortable enough, and apparently it's the same legroom? By tall I mean 194cm..

Anyway, I put in a (low) upgrade bid for my first flight (night time), let's see if it goes through.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mpkz
Thanks! I eventually found a trip report where someone walked by the seats and it confirms your finding.

I do find KLM's economy comfort comfortable enough, and apparently it's the same legroom? By tall I mean 194cm..

Anyway, I put in a (low) upgrade bid for my first flight (night time), let's see if it goes through.
With KLM in the first row of EC (bulkhead), I only use to fly on A332 or 777, which is much better than KQ 787's first row (bulkhead too).

Keep in mind that whatever seat (paying or for free if you are STEP) you initially choose or are attributed at check-in, you won't be able to change it /move in flight. KQ staff want you to stick with your designated seat for the whole flight even though, let's say as a Platinum member you want to try an Economy Comfort seat (free and available on your flight) but booked on an emergency exit seat (free also) or vice versa. So choose careful for your tall size ...

For the bid upgrade, you may have high chances to be successful. Please report it back here or in the appropriated thread . We would be glad to hear (read) from you.

May I ask you when is your trip? Because yesterday (31/10/22), the KQ regular newsletter mentions about "Improved Lounge & Inflight Experience":
So, if you (or someone else) can provide more informations for other travellers it would be great as it sounds like a bunch of news .

Old Nov 2, 2023, 6:49 am
c_j

Should SkyTeam Elite Plus be able to select Economy Comfort for free? Or a reduced price?
Thanks!
Old Nov 2, 2023, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by c_j
Should SkyTeam Elite Plus be able to select Economy Comfort for free?
Sounds like an official survey you'd hear at a Flying Blue managers meeting.

They should. And they definitely can.

I was able to select 11A for free on a CDG - NBO (KQ115) booking this morning as SkyTeam Elite plus. (If you're talking about KQ. If KL, of course).

Last edited by on.the.bowery; Nov 2, 2023 at 7:35 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.