Kenya Airways introduces new Economy Class seat

Old Oct 21, 2019, 7:47 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Posts: 788
Arrow Kenya Airways introduces new Economy Class seat

Haven't seen this info mentioned here, but if so, mods please lock this thread.

Economy Comfort features increased seat pitch of 8cm more than the average Economy Class seats. The Economy Comfort seats are located in the first three rows of Economy Class hence availing 27 seats per aircraft. Additionally, passengers travelling in these seats will enjoy more benefits such as a dedicated overhead cabin for their carry-on luggage, quicker exit as they are at the front of the cabin thus they save time, and travel extras which include a complementary amenity kit and special pillows.
https://corporate.kenya-airways.com/...aul-routes.pdf
https://khusoko.com/2019/10/kenya-ai...ner-aircrafts/

Is it for Economy Super Flex (or Premium Eco via AF) fare exclusively or can it be purchased after online/at checkin?
For the moment, KQ only sells Y or J cabin on its website.

On this future trip, these seats seem unavailable (even with a fee) .

Goldorak likes this.
flying_blue_white_red is offline  
Old Oct 21, 2019, 8:01 am
  #2  
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 4,347
Thanks for sharing this new development.

This seems to me like the Eco Comfort+ seats at KLM/DL - which they give out complimentary to Platinum and higher members. Since KQ belongs within the FB program, I would expect that the same policy will apply.

Of course nothing is for certain until this is specifically mentioned on paper. OTOH, seems like these seats will get an amenity kit and (bigger?) pillows compared to normal Eco - but again, this is what DL does in their previously Comfort+ seats (to separate it from main cabin).

Cheers!
nldogbert is offline  
Old Oct 21, 2019, 8:51 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Posts: 788
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Thanks for sharing this new development.

This seems to me like the Eco Comfort+ seats at KLM/DL - which they give out complimentary to Platinum and higher members. Since KQ belongs within the FB program, I would expect that the same policy will apply.

Of course nothing is for certain until this is specifically mentioned on paper. OTOH, seems like these seats will get an amenity kit and (bigger?) pillows compared to normal Eco - but again, this is what DL does in their previously Comfort+ seats (to separate it from main cabin).

Cheers!
Indeed, on the AMS-KGL leg, EC+ is selected.
Finally got all the infos here:
https://www.kenya-airways.com/prepar...my-comfort/en/

Out of curiosity, on 787 is it better an extra legroom seat or this Economy Comfort?
flying_blue_white_red is offline  
Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:38 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red

On this future trip, these seats seem unavailable (even with a fee) .

Incase a useful datapoint, I have a trip coming up in mid January and I am able to select the economy comfort seats (for a fee). The seat map only came up this weekend (90 days out, as per old KQ policy). I am a Delta medallion member rather than FB, so can't comment on fees for FB. The prices showing for me are in line with those on the KQ website for non-FB members.

Note that it now also seems there is a fee for reserving a standard seat (which I believe is a change from previous policy)?

Appreciate this is probably the wrong forum for this question, but does anyone have any thoughts on whether Delta medallions (sky team elite+) should also be eligible for preferred seats / discounts on economy comfort? I had previously understood yes, but the KQ website only mentions FB, and the lack of discounts showing on my seat map is not promising....
fc0175 is offline  
Old Oct 21, 2019, 8:12 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 39
Originally Posted by fc0175
Note that it now also seems there is a fee for reserving a standard seat (which I believe is a change from previous policy)?

I was less than impressed when i logged in to choose seats and found out they were charging for every seat in the cabin. I don't expect a countries flag carrier to charge for seat selection, that should only ever happen with budget carriers.

While $20 USD isn't much, i don't want to pay and then lose it if we win the upgrade auction for business, so i guess we are rolling the dice.
refox3488 is offline  
Old Oct 22, 2019, 2:16 am
  #6  
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 4,347
Originally Posted by refox3488
I was less than impressed when i logged in to choose seats and found out they were charging for every seat in the cabin. I don't expect a countries flag carrier to charge for seat selection, that should only ever happen with budget carriers.

While $20 USD isn't much, i don't want to pay and then lose it if we win the upgrade auction for business, so i guess we are rolling the dice.
Please look at BA, AirFrance, KLM, Iberia, TAP Portugal, Singapore Airlines, etc...all are charging for seats...are they budget carriers? This is just a trend happening in the industry.

Going back to the topic, I do notice on some of the aircraft, they do seem to block out the middle seat - or is are there only 2 seats at these rows. If it is blocking the middle seat - this is a very good value - even if you have to pay for these seats and of course if you are Platinum, even better compared to what KLM and DL offers for these seats.

Cheers!
nldogbert is offline  
Old Oct 22, 2019, 12:15 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: CMN,DXB,CDG
Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Posts: 767
Flying them mid-nov, will report back here if no one does by then. I actually did not notice they were Comfort seats but I called AF to select my seats after booking (for some reasons I could t do it through the app, but this could very well be the reason) and asked for front of the cabin. AF agent booked it like a regular seat and didnt mention anything (though Im platinum, so perhaps she didnt bother explaining it to me). Regarding the middle seat, I would t know, but we are two pax and seating next to each other.
offvoice is offline  
Old Oct 22, 2019, 2:40 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Posts: 788
Originally Posted by nldogbert
I do notice on some of the aircraft, they do seem to block out the middle seat - or is are there only 2 seats at these rows. If it is blocking the middle seat - this is a very good value - even if you have to pay for these seats and of course if you are Platinum, even better compared to what KLM and DL offers for these seats.

Cheers!
That's really confusing indeed because the press release states 27 seats (for the 787) whereas the seat map only shows 24.
Now, according to this link, the Super Economy (within the Economy Comfort zone) fits perfectly the description:
With our Super Economy option, you have a chance to indulge and enjoy the company of yourself at peace on our neighbor free seats.
The seats are located at the front of the Economy cabin whereby the middle seats are not occupied to give you the extra comfort.

https://www.kenya-airways.com/prepar...er-economy/en/

Will call tomorrow to clarify this point as it looks too good to be true

Originally Posted by offvoice
Flying them mid-nov, will report back here if no one does by then. I actually did not notice they were “Comfort seats” but I called AF to select my seats after booking (for some reasons I could t do it through the app, but this could very well be the reason) and asked for front of the cabin. AF agent booked it like a regular seat and didn’t mention anything (though I’m platinum, so perhaps she didn’t bother explaining it to me). Regarding the middle seat, I would t know, but we are two pax and seating next to each other.
Which seats have been assigned to you? i.e. 11A+11B or 11A+11C
Otherwise, yes please report it back.
Other members will find it useful. My next KQ NBO-CDG flight is only in December.
flying_blue_white_red is offline  
Old Oct 23, 2019, 12:44 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Boston area, US
Programs: FB (platinum for life), AAdvantage (exec platinum), Aeroflot Bonus (gold)
Posts: 258
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Please look at BA, AirFrance, KLM, Iberia, TAP Portugal, Singapore Airlines, etc...all are charging for seats...are they budget carriers? This is just a trend happening in the industry.
FYI, British will charge you for seat selection even in business class unless you have an elite status in OneWorld (sapphire/emerald). Such a shame!
chil is offline  
Old Oct 23, 2019, 3:03 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: CMN,DXB,CDG
Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Posts: 767
Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red
That's really confusing indeed because the press release states 27 seats (for the 787) whereas the seat map only shows 24.
Now, according to this link, the Super Economy (within the Economy Comfort zone) fits perfectly the description:



https://www.kenya-airways.com/prepar...er-economy/en/

Will call tomorrow to clarify this point as it looks too good to be true



Which seats have been assigned to you? i.e. 11A+11B or 11A+11C
Otherwise, yes please report it back.
Other members will find it useful. My next KQ NBO-CDG flight is only in December.
After reading your comment I actually called back AF to move from row 12 (Economy Comfort) A&B to 11 (Super Comfort) G&I where indeed AF was unable to grab middle seats. However, the person on the line told me that while she was able to select the seats, she had a message saying there was an error, hence she told me to carefully check as this could be removed (I bought on AF website, a KL-coded, KQ-operated flight, what Im guessing is making everything slightly more complex than it would have been had I purchased directly through KQ). In any event, thats free of charge for Plat as stated on their website, & IMHO a great deal (and TBH, the prices they give are actually reasonable to be A/ Front of the plane B/ With extra legroom C/ with no passengers next to you - AF is now (from what I understand) charging you on long-haul just to be in the first 5 rows of Economy, with no other perk than being at the front of the plane).
offvoice is offline  
Old Nov 16, 2019, 7:53 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: CMN,DXB,CDG
Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Posts: 767
Reporting back on 737 (not 787) on KQ from NBO to BOM. Middle seat of first Y row was available to book. I inquired at the airport in NBO and the desk agent told me it had not been yet deployed on 737 and all six seats were available to book as seats with extra legroom (but didnt mention if it was already deployed on 787). Finding out for 787 in two weeks.
offvoice is offline  
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:00 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Posts: 788
Originally Posted by offvoice
Reporting back on 737 (not 787) on KQ from NBO to BOM. Middle seat of first Y row was available to book. I inquired at the airport in NBO and the desk agent told me it had not been yet deployed on 737 and all six seats were available to book as seats with extra legroom (but didn’t mention if it was already deployed on 787). Finding out for 787 in two weeks.
Nice one!
Have you managed to walk through the cabin to visually verify that pitch is more important in EC than from row 15 onwards (except 18-19 = emergency exit seat)?
Anyway, looking forward to your feedbacks on the WB!
flying_blue_white_red is offline  
Old Nov 21, 2019, 6:02 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: CMN,DXB,CDG
Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Posts: 767
Bulkhead seats definitely were (but were before EC was deployed), the other were not. One thing to mention now that I think about it: though the desk agent mentioned it was not yet deployed, middle seat bulkhead Y were empty (but one would assume it was random) initially, with A (coworker), D & F (me) with PAX. However, after doors were closed, some drunk passengers came seating in B & C to be closer to their friend in last J row. Those two PAX being brought by crew and being obnoxiously drunk and very ...large... I told my colleague to join me and we filled the seats. But could be that the rule was applied in the end, just not applied by crew (wouldnt be a surprise on KQ, nice planes but my god they have to be the worst crews ever)
offvoice is offline  
Old Dec 3, 2019, 9:53 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: CMN,DXB,CDG
Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Posts: 767
So I took the 787 in Economy Comfort (no picture though) from AMS to NBO. Pitch is indeed better on the first 5 rows (similar to KLM Economy Comfort on long haul IIRC), and you also have dedicated overhead bins (with small sticker Reserved to Economy Comfort). No difference in term of amenities or service. The neutralized middle seat is only on 737, not 787 from what they told me. TBH, not sure if worth the price unless you get the status discounts (up to free for Platinum).
offvoice is offline  
Old Dec 30, 2019, 4:05 pm
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Posts: 788
Originally Posted by offvoice
Bulkhead seats definitely were (but were before EC was deployed), the other were not. One thing to mention now that I think about it: though the desk agent mentioned it was not yet deployed, middle seat bulkhead Y were empty (but one would assume it was random) initially, with A (coworker), D & F (me) with PAX. However, after doors were closed, some drunk passengers came seating in B & C to be closer to their friend in last J row. Those two PAX being brought by crew and being obnoxiously drunk and very ...large... I told my colleague to join me and we filled the seats. But could be that the rule was applied in the end, just not applied by crew (wouldnt be a surprise on KQ, nice planes but my god they have to be the worst crews ever)
Wow, it could have turned out into a very loong horrible PaxExp with turbulent strangers next to you
flying_blue_white_red is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.