Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: irishguy28
Introduction

As you have been following the past thread, the Flying Blue programme will change as of 1 April 2018. In order to split the discussion from the earlier thread, we have created a new thread.

On 6 November Flying Blue has organised a press conference to inform the public about the changes to the programme. In addition, a mailing will be sent out to all members on the 6th and 7th of November and more information can be found on the designated website (link: https://explorefurther.flyingblue.com).

As an introduction, please find a summary of the changes below.

Please note that at the current time there is no difference expected to the benefits of the current tier.

Change 1: no more level miles, no more segments, but Experience Points

As of 1 April 2018 you will no longer earn level miles and segments per flight, but you will earn Experience Points (XP). The number of XP earned per flight depends on your cabin (multiplier times 2 for Premium Economy, 3 for business, 5 for La Premiere) and the type of flight (distinction between domestic, medium haul, long-haul 1/2/3).

For flights between 1 January – 31 March 2018 all earned level miles and segments will be converted into XP (1 segment = 7 XP; 1,000 level miles = 5 XP for members outside France). Please note that the highest conversion applies (it is not cumulative).

The number of XP required per tiers is:
- 100 for Silver;
- 180 for Gold;
- 300 for Platinum;
- 1,800 for Platinum Ultimate (in 2 years).

Please note that for current flyers who qualify on segments based on only intra-EU flights this could see an increase in the number of flights required. However, if you fly a mix if intra-EU and intercontinental (but qualify on segments), this will most likely see a reduction in the number of flights required to qualify.
For elite members, there is a roll-over of all XP above your tier threshold.

The rules for soft-landing have been extended. It is now no longer required to make at least 1 qualifying flight and in case you do not meet your threshold you will only drop one tier.

Change 2: number of miles earned dependent on fare paid (including fuel surcharge)

The number of award miles (for AF/KL/A5) earned is now depending on the fare paid (including fuel surcharge). Ivory members earn 4 miles per Euro, Silver 6, Gold 7 and Platinum 8.

Also earn award miles on AF/KL purchases (relating to seats, baggage and meals) according to the above schedule.

Earnings on partners remains as-is (based on fare class and distance flown).

Change 3: dynamic pricing of award tickets (on AF/KL/HV)

Another change will be that award tickets will have dynamic pricing, e.g. an award AMS-JFK could be more expensive than an award DUS-AMS-JFK. This is also in line with change 2, as flights from AMS are also more expensive than flights from DUS (you also earn more miles).

This also implies that we will see a difference in the number of miles required per flight. For example, an award from continental Europe to continental USA will currently set you back 25,000 miles for a one-way in economy. It does not matter if you fly to LAX or NYC, the number of miles is currently fixed. Under the new proposition, this will change. The cheaper flight (in this example: NYC) will see a slight reduction in the number of miles required, whilst LAX will see a slight increase in the number of miles required.

Furthermore, there will be a standard base level for the number of miles required per destination. As the standard revenue price increases, so does the number of award miles.

Change 4: status valid for 12 months (+ 3 months), personal membership year

FB will be moving away from membership year = calendar year (in case of upgrade of tier). Instead, FB will have an individual membership year. This means that after obtaining the higher tier, you will have 12 months to requalify. Benefit of this is that members are not bound by the calendar year (e.g. members who earn 20,000 level miles in a December of a given year and 20,000 level miles in January of the next year, do not have any benefit of their flights in case limited flights before/after).

I know some will feel that this is a significant downgrade compared to the current – at maximum – 27 months. Please note that based on FB information the majority of members (re)qualify in the last quarter of the year.

In addition, please note that for an Ivory member would like to go obtain Platinum in one year, as it will become more difficult, as (s)he will have to earn each threshold (so not 300 XP in the first year, but (100 + 180 + 300 = 580 XP). This is only applicable in the first year.

Change 5: changes to the co-branded American Express credit cards (FR/NL)

Currently you earn segments and level miles (on AF/KL purchases for Gold and Platinum card holders). This will change that you will receive additional XP when reaching your membership anniversary each year.
Print Wikipost

Upcoming changes to Flying Blue in 2018

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by adaptable
I'm joining the thread a little late, so maybe I missed something, but I really don't see how this two year scheme would work. The December 31st, 2018 status check will never happen, so it doesn't matter that he will have 70k level miles in early 2018. In March 2019 all that matters is the 350XP, which gets him one more year of Platinum.
March 2019 is not relevant to status; that is just the date that his status would expire if he did *not* re-qualify before the end of 2018.

The Dec 2018 status check should indeed not happen if status is indeed already extended into 2019 as it would be today. A status check (now a PLC instead of an ALC) should happen on Dec 31 2019, subtracting 300XP and extending status into 2020 (plus the extra three months into 2021).

That is, unless my worst/medium case scenario are true. That makes the question when the next PLC will happen given status is already extended to the end of 2019. It's a little weird because the new system has a Personal Level Check exactly when your qualification expires (which in this case would be 31dec19 assuming not the medium scenario) while the old system does an Annual Level Check on 31dec regardless of the specifics of your qualification period.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 3:49 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by NumbThumb
Has anyone been able to ascertain if there will be changes to award bookings with regard to miles needed? It looks like earning miles for awards is going to be a lot harder. It'd be great if they adjusted award booking accordingly, but I highly doubt that.
There will be for sure, and most probably program loses any sense since this is implemented. Burn existing miles and forget KLM altogether.

P. S. Combined with probably similar changes to BAEC (though not confirmed about partner redemptions so far, I think), I seriously consider whether I should cancel my Citi Prestige and PremierMiles both. If both FB and BAEC go fully revenue based, miles as such cease to have any value. Better go for a dull but real cashback.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 4:40 am
q

Sorry, I have not read everything.
On the official page, the 4-sentence description on how to qualify is (perhaps deliberately) vague.
They say when the 12-month period ends (after 12 months OR when you reach the "next" level, whichever is earlier). Strictly interpreted, this means that when one re-qualifies for the same status as the current status, one never reaches a "next" level so the period is the full 12 months.

They do not state explicitely when the so-called 12-month period starts for the first time in this program.

They state extra points are carried over when the timer is reset (Any XP you gained above the required threshold will be yours to keep.) but it is not made clear if this also happens at the normal end of the 12-months period if one does NOT achieve the "next" level by then.

They do not state explicitely for how long the status is granted. I this thread I see 12 months (plus 3 months), where does this information come from?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by CyBeR
I don't think that shortcut exists, but yes if you qualify between january and april then the flights you've done are effectively counted twice; once for status for 2018 (gained after jan but before april) and once more due to the XP rollover afterwards. I have seen nothing from FB indicating this would work differently; they seem to just accept that a few people will make this happen. This leaves the question of an existing status member re-qualifying before april; their status should extend into 2019 and then 2020 with rollover unless I am mistaken. (qualified this year for 2018, qualified next year before april for 2019, rollover miles applied to qualify for 2020).
I think i'm gonna try this one. Already have 44 flights booked for the first 3 months of 2018. Lets see if I can squeeze in another 8 roundtrips. Will be very curious to see what they will do.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by Xizm
I think i'm gonna try this one. Already have 44 flights booked for the first 3 months of 2018. Lets see if I can squeeze in another 8 roundtrips. Will be very curious to see what they will do.
I shall be very curious as well, though I'm not in a position to go and try it myself unfortunately. With some mental gymnastics I'm sure I can come up with two or three more plausible scenarios :P

Note also that for those three months the qualification levels are slightly lowered due to the somewhat generous XP conversion; to qualify *on* 01apr18 you need only 43 qf (301XP) or 60k level miles (300XP) rather than 60qf/70k.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:23 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Note also that for those three months the qualification levels are slightly lowered due to the somewhat generous XP conversion; to qualify *on* 01apr18 you need only 43 qf (301XP) or 60k level miles (300XP) rather than 60qf/70k.
So, flying 60k miles in the first three months of 2018 would give Gold status until March 2020, and then when the conversion happens on 1st April, a Platinum status until end of March 2019, followed by the soft landing [unless another 300 XPs are obtained] to Gold until end of March 2020.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by jms_uk
So, flying 60k miles in the first three months of 2018 would give Gold status until March 2020, and then when the conversion happens on 1st April, a Platinum status until end of March 2019, followed by the soft landing [unless another 300 XPs are obtained] to Gold until end of March 2020.
Gold until end of june 2020 even after the soft landing I believe. The qualification period is 12 months but status lasts for 3 months extra because they give themselves three months to send you the new card.

Last edited by CyBeR; Nov 8, 2017 at 6:36 am Reason: June -- forgot about May there for a moment.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Ditto
If you do call them, please report back on what retention offer they have given you
I will keep my card at least until April, as I would have some AF/KL flights to book so no harm in getting some extra level miles before the card becomes a pumpkin, and if by the end of 2018 I am missing some XPs, I can always pick it up again
exactly my thoughts! Without level miles there is zero added value... I have US based Amex Platinum as Well: 5x points on flights, no brainer to just use this card.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by q
Strictly interpreted, this means that when one re-qualifies for the same status as the current status, one never reaches a "next" level so the period is the full 12 months.
???

You have a full 12 months in which to aim for the higher rung. If you manage this, they immediately upgrade your status, but UNLIKE THE CURRENT PROGRAMME, earning a higher status level automatically "ends" your current membership year, regardless of how much time was left to run in that year, and a brand new year starts. Your target for that new, immediately-started level, is the XP amount for the next rung up, or for those already on Platinum, the same 300XP again.

Originally Posted by q
They do not state explicitely when the so-called 12-month period starts for the first time in this program.
On the day the programme is launched, EVERYONE will still have the same membership year - 1 January 2018 to 31 December 2018.

The first people to "depart" from this fixed calendar year will be those people who, as a function of having their Level Miles/Segments translated to XPs using a far more generous conversion rate, will automatically exceed a status level as a result of the transfer. These people will then suddenly start a brand new year of status on 1 April 2018, with a year-end of 31 March 2019.

As the rest of 2018 progresses, everyone that increases in status will have their year-end realigned to the anniversary of the date they increased in status.

Originally Posted by q
They state extra points are carried over when the timer is reset (Any XP you gained above the required threshold will be yours to keep.) but it is not made clear if this also happens at the normal end of the 12-months period if one does NOT achieve the "next" level by then.
If you maintain your current status, you get a rollover, equal to the "excess" above the required threshold for that status.

If you decrease in status, and therefore would have got a soft-landing anyway, you will only get a rollover if your XP earnings at the time of being awarded the soft-landing exceeded the amount that was required to "earn" that lower status level.

Originally Posted by q
They do not state explicitely for how long the status is granted. I this thread I see 12 months (plus 3 months), where does this information come from?
It is for 12 months (because you no longer get to benefit from having "the rest of your current membership year" to enjoy new status as in the current programme, due to the "resetting" of the year upon status increase.) The 3 months "extra" is the typical FB solution - present in the current programme, and has been from the very start - that all status cards are issued with a "grace" period of 3 months past the date for which you actually qualified for status at the time the card was issued. This is to account for the fact that they won't be able to send out the new card in time at the end of the year.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xizm
You don't really need to.

If you have 44 level segments already by 31 March 2018, you will receive 44 * 7XP = 308XP when they do the conversion at the new programme launch, which is more than enough for Platinum already [8XP over the required amount].

However, if the rest of these level segments will be earned on domestic (2XP) or short international (5XP) flights, then it would indeed be better to book as many level segments prior to 31 March 2018, because the type of flight that, after that date, could only earn 2XP or 5XP will, in fact, earn you 7XP if taken in the first 3 months of the year.

(If the flights you are talking about would be set to earn more than 7XP, then you are advised to not take them until after 1 April 2018).
Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, flying 60k miles in the first three months of 2018 would give Gold status until March 2020
Correct...though technically, that Gold status expires on 31 December 2019, it's just that the card you get will "extend" it by 3 months grace period to 31 March 2020

, and then when the conversion happens on 1st April, a Platinum status until end of March 2019,
Correct, which "cancels" your previous, longer Gold period, and gives you a new, shorter, Platinum period, actually valid to 31 March 2019, but which should result in a card issued with a 3 months grace period to 30 June 2019

followed by the soft landing [unless another 300 XPs are obtained] to Gold until end of March 2020.
Correct; at 31 March 2019 when they next check your status, seeing you didn't requalify for Platinum, you would be soft-landed to Gold, valid to 31 March 2020 (card valid to 30 June 2020). Whether you get a rollover of XPs on that date depends on whether you exceeded 180XP in your platinum year, 1 April 2018-31 March 2019.

In this particular case, your original "Gold" was valid for as long as your new Platinum and your soft-landed Gold.

I hope people are paying attention. The new system works unusually for many (unusual) corner cases. (Not many people would expect to get Gold in the first quarter, thereby effectively getting 2 years status under the current rules. But these people are affected by this change. Though of course, you could argue that getting one year of Plat and one year of Gold is better than the current 2 years of Gold that you got, then lost, as a result of the conversion/changeover).
Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
You don't really need to.
He is trying to go for the possible double status extension by qualifying for platinum 2019 in the current system, before the switch to the new system.

Whether or not it will work like that, no one yet knows.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

He is trying to go for the possible double status extension by qualifying for platinum 2019 in the current system, before the switch to the new system.

Whether or not it will work like that, no one yet knows.
See above. The "double extension" doesn't gain you much extra; only 3 months, in comparison to the current case.

This is because the current system allows for as much as 27 months of status (all of the rest of the current calendar year, all of the next calendar year, and 3 months grace period of the calendar year after that), while the new system only allows for fixed 15 months of status (all of the brand-new immediately-started membership year, and 3 months grace period thereafter)

The real one-off benefit on offer in March/April 2019 is to get better recognition of level miles and segments, thereby "boosting" your rollover potential. Without rollovers, you are not really effectively extending your status period at all (albeit that you may get a higher status in between, as part of the conversion; if you don't manage to "trip" a faster status upgrade, you will actually DECREASE YOUR STATUS PERIOD).

Those planning on "gaming" the system are advised to sit down and ensure they understand the consequences of their planned actions. If there is no rollover and faster status upgrade at play, then you may be doing the wrong thing by waiting for the conversion to upgrade you, or to upgrade under the new system.

Unless you are already platinum, of course!!!

Last edited by irishguy28; Nov 8, 2017 at 6:49 am
Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:41 am
q

Thank you Irishguy for your patient reply.

Is this official information (if so, does anyone have access to that other than by reading this forum) or is this your own interpretation of the four short sentences on the new FB page ... which is the only Official thing I was able to find so far.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by q
Thank you Irishguy for your patient reply.

Is this official information (if so, does anyone have access to that other than by reading this forum) or is this your own interpretation of the four short sentences on the new FB page ... which is the only Official thing I was able to find so far.
The website details only what has changed. Everything else - such as the grace period of the card that will be issued, which is, in any case, not an officially documented part of the programme - will remain as it currently is, in the absence of any indication otherwise.

Remember, you don't "really" have status during the grace period, anyway. It's just a convenient fiction that recognises the logistical problem of getting your new status card to you in time - and to also account for the delay in getting that very status card to you at the moment it was earned.

Last edited by irishguy28; Nov 8, 2017 at 6:52 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.